The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya’ll are rockin’!

The guy with 200 across the street was out yesterday from sunup to sunset and no shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had 5 days in Montana, couldn't get it done but got w/in 50 yds of a 380-390 bull! Weather was great.
      Attached Files

Comment

I was fortunate to get my first Elk this weekend for the Oklahoma archery opener. Great hunt I will try and do a write up this week.

Comment

Ok well we’re doin vacations for next year, and surprisingly the 2,3,4 weeks of sept are available! What weeks everyone taking?

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
            Ok well we’re doin vacations for next year, and surprisingly the 2,3,4 weeks of sept are available! What weeks everyone taking?

I’m thinking I’m going to go the week before ML season if I go back to Colorado for OTC.

Comment

take week 2....best odds of getting a big boy as they are just fighting to round up cows......too late and you will be hunting satellite bulls as the herd bull will not leave his harem to come to your calls.

Comment

Already told my wife- since I'm not up there this year, next year I'm going up to unit 71 for 6 days solo archery then again for whatever rifle tag we end up with for our hunting party in Oct. lol Have been mentioning BOTH trips at least every 2/3 days when talking to the MRS. to make sure she's fully prepared by next summer when I'm back to studying sat photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                  I’m thinking I’m going to go the week before ML season if I go back to Colorado for OTC.
                  Yelp, IMO best time. Bulls are overall not herded up and pressure is lower.
                  Last edited by Texans42; 10-08-2019, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I hunted the first 2 weeks this year and the bulls were quiet. I'm going the second 2 weeks next year.. in Colorado muzzle loader falls right in the middle of bow season ..

Comment

Congrats Wytex. Nice Bull. I think my next elk trip will be up there unless I do one in Canada next year. Need to put in for my points. I am going to send you a PM with a few questions someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                        take week 2....best odds of getting a big boy as they are just fighting to round up cows......too late and you will be hunting satellite bulls as the herd bull will not leave his harem to come to your calls.
                        Exactly...this happened to me this year but my brother and nephew were going sheep hunting first couple weeks so I had to hold off until week 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                          [ATTACH]975249[/ATTACH]
                          Hell of a bull. Congrats

Comment

Question for all you dads out there my sons 8, and as I’m starting this process I’ve learned the lifelong journey to draw in some of these limited entry 20+ pt areas. So it dawned on me while I’m entering in these to build up points i thought maybe each year i enter i enter my son as well. Then start a savings for him $5-10wk for if he ever hits have a fund account to afford an outfitter etc... anyone done something similar? Maybe get lucky and both hit before I’m to old [emoji1374]

Comment

Question for all you dads out there my sons 8, and as I’m starting this process I’ve learned the lifelong journey to draw in some of these limited entry 20+ pt areas. So it dawned on me while I’m entering in these to build up points i thought maybe each year i enter i enter my son as well. Then start a savings for him $5-10wk for if he ever hits have a fund account to afford an outfitter etc... anyone done something similar? Maybe get lucky and both hit before I’m to old [emoji1374]

With point creep, that's probably the only way the next generation of hunters will ever draw some of those tags. Either do that or add the draw expense money to your savings so he can have enough to buy a landowner tag and hunt without the draw (and skip the draw system). The latter is the only way to guarantee he'll be able to go on a hunt of that caliber.

Comment

Headed up to Colorado to guide for 3 weeks. Quite a few hunting rigs on 287 headed west today! Anyone on the road?

Comment

Working...
                                X