No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still unseasonably warm and the supposed to stay that way all the way to the end of archery season. Just returned and they were quieter than ever heard them. Saw one huge herd that had about 120 elk in it still together last week which is highly unusual for mid Sept. This was in central Colo

Comment

Thank you guys! Me an my wife are planning to go up next spring and hike two areas I’ve escouted. Just to get a look at the terrain, and have a game plan i will be adding gohunt app today! Thanks again for all the help [emoji1374][emoji1374]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
        Ok here is my opinion

#1: buy tags, don’t worry about the best gear. You need to hunt elk to get elk hunting experience. People want the best and newest gear first, then they go hunting. But all that gear can’t replace boots on the ground experience. Just go!! Also, chase every bugle once you hear one.

#2: everything will look way way different once you have boots on the ground. There are elk all over the place, and no matter what features people say to check out, elk are where you find them. My best advice about e scouting is have a plan a-f. Keep checking areas out until you find elk sign then stay put.

#3: get a GoHunt account and do you’re homework!! I’ve spent no joke hours upon hours researching this exact topic. Colorado and Idaho have lots of opportunity.
        ^^^ This is what I have been telling people for years. Don't worry about gear, don't worry about saving money to buy the gear before you can go. GO NOW! or asap. Nothing is better than experience. Elk hunting is not a one and done trip. Your first trip is just the beginning. It's hard, You are not likely to get one on your first trip, and the gear you have will have nothing to do with that. But be warned. you will be addicted!

Don't pack in. Stay mobile and able to hunt a new area each day if needed.
        If the elk aren't there, MOVE. I typically walk more miles each day than other guys "pack in"
        I prefer staying in a tent in the middle of the area I want to hunt. Then drive to each area that I am going to hunt. That may mean driving up to an hour in the mornings.

Another way, would be to stay in a room in the nearest town, again I don't mind driving a bit in the mornings. A hot shower and a good nights sleep in a real bed can make you a better hunter.
        And think, You can pay for your room, food, and gas, With the $6-$700 you didn't spend on that pack.

As far as podcasts listen to Got game tech, The ones with Paul Medel (the Elknut)

Just get out there! I leave in the morning and I can't wait!!! I have been going since 91 and still get more pumped about it than anything!

Comment

Originally posted by urinsuranceguy View Post
          We are headed up to Gunnison Friday morning early. This is our 4th year to hunt this and we are going a little later to try and catch the bugle. Has anyone heard if they are loud up there in that area yet?
          We have the same plan, different area. I think you were very smart to go at this time

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Time to get to packing!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              Time to get to packing!
              Congrats. In for more pics!

Comment

[QUOTE=bboswell;14378504]Time to get to packing!
                Uh oh....looks like a big burly horned brute.

Comment

Time to get to packing!

Congrats, the pack out is a reward in my mind. It’s something you GET to do instead of HAVE to do

Comment

Story later

Comment

Mass for days! What a stud bull, congrats!

Comment

Story later

Heck yeah, Congrats! Really nice mass.

My buddy shot a bull a few days ago and I’ve passed on 3 different 5x5’s from 15-40 yards. Still have another 5 days.

Comment

Man y’all are making this hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            1) just go, elk are where you find them(this week I have found elk at 5k to 9k ft, and everything in between
                            2) you don’t, you just think it meets food, water and cover, often it doesn’t Look same in person, refer back to #1
                            3) you need to have a draw plan... Idaho and NM have a Non PP draw, if you can afford the entry and license, CO should be a back up.

4) experience is gained only in person regardless of unit/state/ etc. don’t over think it. Tons of bow hunters kill elk by walking, spotting, stalking(bedding/cutting off/sneakin) and killing, and they don’t even call.

PS Found a box, will ship Monday when I get back in town. Headed back out to chase deer.

Sounds good brother GOOD LUCK!!

Comment

Congrats bboswell!!!!!!!

Comment

Nice bull!

Comment

Working...
                                X