The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill View Post

Still undecided if I’m getting a 10mm. Since I can get a concealed carry permit (finally after leaving CA) I’m thinking a G29.
    I just picked up a Glock 40mos from the classifieds here a couple weeks ago. I doubt I'll ever put an optic on it but my paddle holster would allow it if I wanted. It's well balanced and draws and points very naturally. Not that I need a 10mm for Colorado but more power can't hurt and never know if I'll end up somewhere more dangerous (trying to get to Alaska some day). Obviously not concealable but for two legged critters I don't need a 10mm.

Comment

To get your elk fever going, she was on the back of the property we’re renting in Bozeman a couple days ago. She has a little one around somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
        I just picked up a Glock 40mos from the classifieds here a couple weeks ago. I doubt I'll ever put an optic on it but my paddle holster would allow it if I wanted. It's well balanced and draws and points very naturally. Not that I need a 10mm for Colorado but more power can't hurt and never know if I'll end up somewhere more dangerous (trying to get to Alaska some day). Obviously not concealable but for two legged critters I don't need a 10mm.

Good find, I have a 19 MOS on order and already have optics waiting for it. I watched my sons accuracy improve SIGNIFICANTLY when he added optics, add that to aging eyes and optics make sense.

Comment

What arrow / broad head setup is proven? I have always run lite arrows and 100g broadheads, either Muzzy 100g 4 blade or 100g Slicktrick for whitetail and hogs. Thinking of moving up to 125 heads and considering G-5 for the cut on contact.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            What arrow / broad head setup is proven? I have always run lite arrows and 100g broadheads, either Muzzy 100g 4 blade or 100g Slicktrick for whitetail and hogs. Thinking of moving up to 125 heads and considering G-5 for the cut on contact.
            I shoot a 450g setup, shoot a silver flame 125xl, and I have never had an issue with penetration.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              KISS - Your setup will be just fine for elk. Adding an extra 100 grains of arrow weight isn't going to benefit you as much as being confident in your current accuracy/setup, especially if you've been practicing at distance. 100 gr. Slick Trick will do just fine.

Comment

A few pics from CO. Patiently waiting for September.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would avoid a mechanical is all, cut on contact is always good.

Those elk in RMNP, nice bulls and pics!!

Comment

Great thread, guys! I haven't gone through all of it yet but myself and 3 other guys just bought Utah OTC tags for this year. We are building points in other places but want to get hunting this year.
                    Going in with a multi-year plan to learn an area- looks like the High Uintas this year and it will be rifle season with the next few years archery.
                    Going to pack in for 5 days of hunting- really our expectation is to have a great camping trip and hunt hard- maybe bring a flyrod as well.
                    Anyone have any tips on the Uintas? Like everyone, not looking for exact areas- just general knowledge if anyone has been there.
                    We have been getting in shape since Feb, although the altitude worries me a bit. We will be there Wed before the Sat. start of season, so hopefully get a little acclimated.
                    Any help is appreciated!

Comment

Man i bet you guys getting ready to stomp the mountains are excited!! I can’t wait to start hearing some stories!

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
                        Great thread, guys! I haven't gone through all of it yet but myself and 3 other guys just bought Utah OTC tags for this year. We are building points in other places but want to get hunting this year.
                        Going in with a multi-year plan to learn an area- looks like the High Uintas this year and it will be rifle season with the next few years archery.
                        Going to pack in for 5 days of hunting- really our expectation is to have a great camping trip and hunt hard- maybe bring a flyrod as well.
                        Anyone have any tips on the Uintas? Like everyone, not looking for exact areas- just general knowledge if anyone has been there.
                        We have been getting in shape since Feb, although the altitude worries me a bit. We will be there Wed before the Sat. start of season, so hopefully get a little acclimated.
                        Any help is appreciated!

Call their fish and game department, ask for name/ phone # of local game warden. Introduce yourself, ask for any general information stressing you want to be a good visitor to Utah.

Find local butchers who do elk, get contact info and their fees. Ask for any guidance he can provide- it’s to his benefit if you shoot an elk. Fo it now before the season.

Hunt hard. Get your legs in shape!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          Call their fish and game department, ask for name/ phone # of local game warden. Introduce yourself, ask for any general information stressing you want to be a good visitor to Utah.

Find local butchers who do elk, get contact info and their fees. Ask for any guidance he can provide- it’s to his benefit if you shoot an elk. Fo it now before the season.

Hunt hard. Get your legs in shape!

Good tips- thank you Bill! I will do that. How's Bozeman? ... I lived in Missoula for 3.5 years while wife was in law school. Go Griz!

Comment

Every day is the best day of my life.

I don’t have a dog in the fight on the Griz-Bobcats rivalry.

Comment

Well just got back from Colorado and the elk are anywhere from 8400 up to 12,000ft.

Comment

Originally posted by Wylde E View Post
                                Well just got back from Colorado and the elk are anywhere from 8400 up to 12,000ft.

Pics man picsssss

Comment

Working...
                                X