The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
    All, here is by back country pack this year minus weapon and consumables. Only thing to add is my emergency kit which usually comes in at about 4 oz.

https://lighterpack.com/r/4mo8wx

That’s an awesome site...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just committed to a hunt in NE NM near the CO boarder. Private family ranch, low fence, first paid hunt on the place was last year and was the buddy I’m going with.

Time to gear up for a completely different style of hunting for me!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Just committed to a hunt in NE NM near the CO boarder. Private family ranch, low fence, first paid hunt on the place was last year and was the buddy I’m going with.

Seems like a very elky area just based on driving through that area over the years

How did you find this place!

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
          Seems like a very elky area just based on driving through that area over the years

How did you find this place!

My buddy found it last year by word of mouth, he went last year a killed a very nice bull with his rifle. He promised them then that if they would get set up for bow hunting that he would be back with friends every year, the 2 brothers are bow hunters so they ran with the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
            I paid 1300 for my first 45 tag and just quoted 4800 for a Unit 45 tag, from the landowner. Brokers been buying those tags up since the program started. The brokers are still only getting what hunters will pay for them, I’m perfect example I’m determined to hunt 36 for elk this year... and will pay for it.

It’s 100% demand. The supply was NM legislation.

Epic and HF arent going anything to cause it, though. If Anything NM it’s more blame by publishing success odds, and social media/outfitters for posting quality
            I was quoted 8k for 36 muzzleloader tag. I’m looking for a unit 34 tag but not I told myself 6500 max for archery tag. Probably won’t go but my scheduled is flexible so hoping to catch something end of August

Comment

One Month Away from my 5 day Scouting trip. Can't get here fast Enough

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post

Congrats, that's a good area. You'll have a blast. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
                  All, here is by back country pack this year minus weapon and consumables. Only thing to add is my emergency kit which usually comes in at about 4 oz.

https://lighterpack.com/r/4mo8wx
                  How many days is this for? Or just a day pack?

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
                    How many days is this for? Or just a day pack?
                    That is just my base weight. I add consumables for how ever many days I need. I have been going stove-less since last year. This combination is good for me from August through October.

Comment

Anyone have any experience with the tenzing tz 3000 pack? Camofire has a good deal on them and they look like good packs but can't find many reviews.

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dbpredator View Post
                        Anyone have any experience with the tenzing tz 3000 pack? Camofire has a good deal on them and they look like good packs but can't find many reviews.

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk
                        I've been looking at the same backpack.

Comment

I am gearing up for Colorado Elk hunt this October and have a question for you veterans about getting in shape for it. Will swimming for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week get me in enough shape? Or should I be doing other exercises as well?

Comment

Do some incline work on a treadmill or stair stepper. Going uphill and over downfall really taxes your legs and hips.
                            Swimming is great cardio but will not get your legs ready for mountain hunting while wearing a pack.
                            You could also just climb flights of stairs.
                            I'm always amazed how sore my legs and hips get after a couple of days of having to hunt through downfall.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              Do some incline work on a treadmill or stair stepper. Going uphill and over downfall really taxes your legs and hips.
                              Swimming is great cardio but will not get your legs ready for mountain hunting while wearing a pack.
                              I'm always amazed how sore my legs and hips get after a couple of days of having to hunt through downfall.
                              I completely agree. My hip flexors are usually sore the first day. Every year I do different exercises that work the flexors and the experience gets better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                                I completely agree. My hip flexors are usually sore the first day. Every year I do different exercises that work the flexors and the experience gets better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
                                Originally posted by wytex View Post

Very much appreciate the advise!

Comment

Working...
                                X