No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When we would hike in the dark hours of morning or night, I usually had the Chama on. Mine is actually a Kiln but I call it the Chama still; although the cut/fit is way better on the Kiln. Depending on the time of day and if we were in the shade, I sometimes tossed it on while we were eating or stopped to do a cold calling session. One of my buddies hiked in his Kiln for the first half of most days.

The Uncompahgre is warm, I wore it when we were glassing early or late in the day and when in camp at night, but there is no way I would hike 5 feet wearing it. However late September when you are going is definitely going to be more chilly than early September; there was an obvious difference in temps to me on Sep 6th vs 16th.

I've started considering bringing my Klamath Fleece this year in lieu of the Kiln but haven't put much serious thought into it yet.

Comment

Camofire.com has some merino today. Check out Blackovis as well.

Comment

Anyone have experience with this pad? I was
        Currently looking at the big Agnes, but saw this while looking at the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
          When we would hike in the dark hours of morning or night, I usually had the Chama on. Mine is actually a Kiln but I call it the Chama still; although the cut/fit is way better on the Kiln. Depending on the time of day and if we were in the shade, I sometimes tossed it on while we were eating or stopped to do a cold calling session. One of my buddies hiked in his Kiln for the first half of most days.

The Uncompahgre is warm, I wore it when we were glassing early or late in the day and when in camp at night, but there is no way I would hike 5 feet wearing it. However late September when you are going is definitely going to be more chilly than early September; there was an obvious difference in temps to me on Sep 6th vs 16th.

I've started considering bringing my Klamath Fleece this year in lieu of the Kiln but haven't put much serious thought into it yet.
          Appreciate it this is exactly the type of answer I was wanting to help decide. I will be adding the Kiln shortly.

Comment

Depending on your bag/quilt is how I would choose a pad. I chose a pad with a really high R value since I use a quilt. I'd no doubt look at thermarest or xped pads. I had a big agnes that I had to reinflate every 30mins one year, so I can't say I'll reccomend those.

Comment

I’ve pretty much settled on a k2 5500 pack now to see if i can find a good used one or wait till Santa comes! Lol

Comment

Anyone need a cow elk decoy?

Comment

Which state offers the best chance at a 300” plus bull, but doesn’t require 20 preference points? Something you can draw roughly every 3-5 years (i don’t know if that’s even realistic)

Comment

Also buy gear with under arm and outside of leg zippers let you vent body heat or close when cold.

That's what I like about all my pants. I use the zippers all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                      Which state offers the best chance at a 300” plus bull, but doesn’t require 20 preference points? Something you can draw roughly every 3-5 years (i don’t know if that’s even realistic)

NM then WY. But there are guys that do it every year in CO and Idaho

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                        All of you young guys should be applying for AZ, NV, and the high demand units in Utah, and CO. It might take 10 to 20 years to draw one, but you would still be young enough to hunt. I would always apply for NM Gila. They dont give points but you never know when you might get lucky. You can always but a LO tag in NM.

Comment

Thanks guys I’ll be doing the long haul points in NV wasn’t quite sure however on where to put in for better off draws so thanks for that.

Comment

What broadheads are everyone using?

Comment

180 grain this year he he Just got my firearm slot in NM Currently the guy tat has the private land 3200 in size is not about archery due he guides you as well but going to see about trying to get some wiggle room on that for next year . Either way a great hunt .

Comment

100 gr kudu for me

Comment

Working...
                                X