Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the planning begin.
    We hunt general outside of Laramie when we don't get a LQ tag, close to home and elk are there.
    Have hunted a couple of Western Wyoming spots too if you need any info, not in grizz country.

Comment

General here!!

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
        General
        Originally posted by LWC View Post
        General here!!
        How many points did y'all have?

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
          I only had one, but I put in for the special license. I believe you needed 3 or 4 for the regular license.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
            We averaged 2 points. I was reading we had a 27% chance with 2 points. Last year it was 58% with 2 points

Last year 1 point and special draw was 97% and it dropped to 17% this year. Some pretty major point creep. Good thing we have some other hunts planned because it will probably be 3 or 4 years before we draw that tag again.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
              We averaged 2 points. I was reading we had a 27% chance with 2 points. Last year it was 58% with 2 points

Last year 1 point and special draw was 97% and it dropped to 17% this year. Some pretty major point creep. Good thing we have some other hunts planned because it will probably be 3 or 4 years before we draw that tag again.

Was it really only 17% for special with 1 point? Go Hunt had the 2019 odds to be right at 98% again this year just like last year. But that was the expected odds before the draw. If so, then I got dang lucky!

Edit: Looks like you are indeed correct. Wow I got lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by 44mAG; 02-21-2019, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Was it really only 17% for special with 1 point? Go Hunt had the 2019 odds to be right at 98% again this year just like last year. But that was the expected odds before the draw. If so, then I got dang lucky!

Yep, pretty crazy. Good luck on your hunt.
                But fyi, gohunt just lists the draw odds from the prior year. They don't try to predict the next years odds.

Comment

Wyoming had 23,751 elk apps this year up from 23,080 last year.

Big FS road closure in general area 12 I just learned of. Will make hunting during the week problematic but may make the hunting better. Road will be open on Weekends and holidays, FS road 261 around base of Kennaday Peak.

Comment

The special odds fluctuate so much every year in Wyoming. Guys all at the same time think hey I’m gonna put in for the special to up my odds. Couple hundred people do that and it can really affect the draw odds.

I am in no mans land in Wyoming. I have 6 points for elk and don’t really know what i want to do. Guess I’m gonna wait until 10-12 points then draw a good tag. Once I burn them I will go General every 3-4 years moving forward.

Comment

Do you guys drive to Wyoming or fly?

Comment

Put in for the cow/calf draw. Not successful. We still have pronghorn and a decent number of points. Good luck to all who drew.

Comment

Fingers crossed for the Arizona draw....I'd be happy with a cow tag to hunt that country again.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                            Do you guys drive to Wyoming or fly?
                            My Wyoming trips have all been driving. I typically leave about 8pm and roll in around noon to check in and relax.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              The special odds fluctuate so much every year in Wyoming. Guys all at the same time think hey I’m gonna put in for the special to up my odds. Couple hundred people do that and it can really affect the draw odds.

I am in no mans land in Wyoming. I have 6 points for elk and don’t really know what i want to do. Guess I’m gonna wait until 10-12 points then draw a good tag. Once I burn them I will go General every 3-4 years moving forward.

Same boat. I've got 8. If you're looking to drop the hammer in the next few years, we should discuss putting in together.

Comment

We are sitting on 4 elk pts in Wyoming. Gonna just keep letting them build and keep hunting Idaho. We are gonna burn our antelope this year though. Gonna spend 20 total days in Idaho then hunt antelope for 3-4 days in Wyoming on our way back through

Comment

Working...
                                X