X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
      I wish I was! We found a lot more spots of blood this morning, but not enough blood to get the job done we don’t think. Trailed him for around 300 yards and just found spots as big as my thumb the whole way. Then at the end it got to be just a few specks, then nothing. We split up and each took a trail and went as far as we could, no luck. I also checked water with no luck. We also never found the arrow which is weird considering how far out it was sticking. Been listening for crows and coyotes, and haven’t heard either. Will sit back on the same wallow this afternoon and pray he shows back up. Once in a lifetime bull I’m afraid. Thanks guys for the thoughts and prayers, I appreciate it.
      Was he going uphill leaving the blood or down hill? Uphill , he's probably going to be ok, downhill , he was in a world of hurt.
      Amazing to see what they can survive.
      Keep listening and watching for ravens and grey jays.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
        Went on my first archery elk hunt last week. DIY public land in southern WY. Went with my brother and a couple of buddies. I was the only one with a tag this year. Big thanks to Lance, Chris, and Clint for taking their time to help me on the hunt. Took us 4 days to find some elk. Action really started to pick up towards the end of the week when we were leaving. It was hot and windy but that is just part of it. Had an arrow nocked and bugling bulls inside 100 yards 4 different times, but couldn't seal the deal. Had a bad set up and a few swirling winds....and probably some bad calling to boot. It was surreal hearing my first bugles up close and personal! Makes the ol' ticker start to flutter a bit.

Was a great experience and won't be my last hunt of this type. A couple of highlights were the fried grouse one night and the squirrel and dumplings that my buddies whipped up from a couple of their small game hunts. Also had some fresh trout a couple nights. Hiked my fat ace over 58 miles for the week with a pack and bow from 9700 to 10,200 ft. Chased bugles, still hunted, sat wallows. Learned a lot and made a lot of memories. Can't wait for next year. Good luck to everyone that is still after ol' wapiti.
        Sounds like a cool hunt. Our elk area was just as hot and dry. Limited bugles but a few. Got about 65 yds form a 5 pt but no closer. Thankfully we have the rest of Sept for archery and Oct and half of Nov for rifle hunting.
        Glad you enjoyed our great state!
        We haven't seen a grouse yet. Were they up high already?
        Big fire burning now down in area 13, everyone has been evacuated from elk area 13.
        Personally the pine squirrells disappoint me, no where near the taste of a fox or cat squirrell.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
          Was he going uphill leaving the blood or down hill? Uphill , he's probably going to be ok, downhill , he was in a world of hurt.
          Amazing to see what they can survive.
          Keep listening and watching for ravens and grey jays.
          He was going downhill which i thought was great news as well. Ravens have been quiet and I’ve followed every trail he could have taken. I think he made it, but he could have gone a long way before he expired.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            Sounds like a cool hunt. Our elk area was just as hot and dry. Limited bugles but a few. Got about 65 yds form a 5 pt but no closer. Thankfully we have the rest of Sept for archery and Oct and half of Nov for rifle hunting.
            Glad you enjoyed our great state!
            We haven't seen a grouse yet. Were they up high already?
            Big fire burning now down in area 13, everyone has been evacuated from elk area 13.
            Personally the pine squirrells disappoint me, no where near the taste of a fox or cat squirrell.
            Had a heck of a time wytex. Appreciate ya! Only grouse I saw was on the side of the road between bow river and stillwater. I think that is the same general area where my buddy killed the grouse. Squirrels were everywhere, but a little small lol. You kinda had to pick through the bones in the dumplings, but after hunting all day a hot meal was appreciated.

Comment

We are on a new ranch up at 10500 ft. Rode ATVs way up the mountain then walked into an area and laid down for a rest.

Comment

Vegetarian selfie

Comment

Awesome place.

Comment

In case you wanted to win a hunt, check this out -

Comment

In southern Colorado in 81. Tough hunting is an understatement. Since last Wednesday have logged almost 20 miles and elevations of 10-11k ft. No fresh sign. Seen some elk driving around off the roads but can’t get them to come to calls and they are not vocal. Buddies heard 2 buggles this pm. Hope to go after them in morning and hopefully they pick up the talking. Have until Friday!

Comment

Sounds familiar.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                          In southern Colorado in 81. Tough hunting is an understatement. Since last Wednesday have logged almost 20 miles and elevations of 10-11k ft. No fresh sign. Seen some elk driving around off the roads but can’t get them to come to calls and they are not vocal. Buddies heard 2 buggles this pm. Hope to go after them in morning and hopefully they pick up the talking. Have until Friday!
                          Sounds familiar

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post

Just got back from 82. The elk we found were 10500-11000 in beetle kill, in bowls/holes on North slopes. Good luck!

The beetle kill spots we were hunting were full of food and beds next to one another. What type of plant is this? It was all over the bedding areas and very eaten down. (Bad pic grabbed from a video clip).

Last edited by Patton; 09-19-2018, 08:15 AM.

Comment

elk camp

Our elk camp and a pic of some of the elk country we were hunting. Close but no cigar yet. We still have rest of Sept. then Oct- Nov. 14 for rifle hunting.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Trying to stay focused today at work, leaving for Montana tomorrow morning.

I got this text from my son, I’m glad I ‘invested’ in Kuiu clothing and believe I have what’s needed for hunting at altitude in the cold and snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X