The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
    Tied our food 10 feet high and a good 80 yards from camp. Still got raided and my tent got clawed. I think I spooked it off when we walked back to camp this afternoon. The trash on the ground is KrauseJMK’s food. My entire bag is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Overgrown raccoons. They get into everything. Hopefully you can resupply without to much difficulty.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
      Overgrown raccoons. They get into everything. Hopefully you can resupply without to much difficulty.

I’m just hoping I can repair my rain fly. More damage on the other side.

We have seen 5 elk total plus 2 moose and many huge mule deer. Unit 55 CO.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
        Tied our food 10 feet high and a good 80 yards from camp. Still got raided and my tent got clawed. I think I spooked it off when we walked back to camp this afternoon. The trash on the ground is KrauseJMK’s food. My entire bag is gone.

Wow! Are bear proof containers required in that unit?

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Im leaving in 30 minutes for north central NM, I'm pumped got plans to stay for 2 weeks. Any reports from that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
            Leave on friday. Any reports in northern Colorado

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
            Redraider talked with my friend who lives just south of Steamboat, the elk are bugling their heads off their now. It is warm but they are talking.
            Just a hour north they are starting to gather their harems. Next week should have good activity.

We head over for a nice LQ hunt in Wyoming on Friday, thankfully we only have a 1 hr drive to our hunting area.
            Last edited by wytex; 09-12-2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
              Im leaving in 30 minutes for north central NM, I'm pumped got plans to stay for 2 weeks. Any reports from that way?
              Reports from a private ranch just north of Chama, NM are that the bulls are not talking at all. If you are staying for 2 weeks you should be there still when the rut kicks off. In my 4 years elk hunting that area it seems the rut always kicks off September 20 or a couple days on either side.

Comment

Whoever said you can’t cheat the mountain was right. Putting in 8 plus miles a day with 15 hour hunts. There was more action last weekend then this week. Bugling has all but stopped by daylight. Sitting at 8900 feet on side of ridge taking a break. Thank god the truck is a 1.5 miles away and downhill! We have 4 more hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  Redraider talked with my friend who lives just south of Steamboat, the elk are bugling their heads off their now. It is warm but they are talking.
                  Just a hour north they are starting to gather their harems. Next week should have good activity.

We head over for a nice LQ hunt in Wyoming on Friday, thankfully we only have a 1 hr drive to our hunting area.
                  That's awesome to hear. I will be west of steamboat. I leave on Friday

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                    Whoever said you can’t cheat the mountain was right. Putting in 8 plus miles a day with 15 hour hunts. There was more action last weekend then this week. Bugling has all but stopped by daylight. Sitting at 8900 feet on side of ridge taking a break. Thank god the truck is a 1.5 miles away and downhill! We have 4 more hunts.
                    Stay after it. Good luck

Comment

The Elk Thread

Stay strong brother!
                      Even if they’re quiet, they’re still out there. Somewhere.
                      I’d get up high and glass, save your strength.

Comment

Here's an interesting read for those contemplating a Wyoming elk hunt.
                        The numbers about harvests and hunters comparing Colorado and Wyoming towards the end are interesting.

Tomorrow we head up for few days with our longbows. Bugle report after the hunt. We'll be in a LQ area but close to some general areas in Wyoming.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          Here's an interesting read for those contemplating a Wyoming elk hunt.
                          The numbers about harvests and hunters comparing Colorado and Wyoming towards the end are interesting.

Tomorrow we head up for few days with our longbows. Bugle report after the hunt. We'll be in a LQ area but close to some general areas in Wyoming.
                          You didnt post the article

Comment

We were set to fly but ended up cancelling the flights and rental car a couple days ago and opted to drive. Now that we are driving and have the ability to easily transport all of our meat back I am sure we won't even see an elk .

We leave this evening and drive to my buddies place in Brownwood. Leaving out of there tomorrow around 5 am should put us in Chama around 3 that afternoon. Will have plenty of time to resight our bows for the altitude and then start hunting the next morning. Word from the guides at the ranch we are hunting is that the big bulls are still up in the high country and rutting activity is non existent. It is supposed to warm up while we are there so maybe the change in weather will kick something off!

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                              We were set to fly but ended up cancelling the flights and rental car a couple days ago and opted to drive. Now that we are driving and have the ability to easily transport all of our meat back I am sure we won't even see an elk .

We leave this evening and drive to my buddies place in Brownwood. Leaving out of there tomorrow around 5 am should put us in Chama around 3 that afternoon. Will have plenty of time to resight our bows for the altitude and then start hunting the next morning. Word from the guides at the ranch we are hunting is that the big bulls are still up in the high country and rutting activity is non existent. It is supposed to warm up while we are there so maybe the change in weather will kick something off!
                              Man that is not encouraging. Good thing is it can turn in a flash. We will be in Unit 9 around 10,000' starting next Tuesday and hunting on Wednesday. Good luck to you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                                Man that is not encouraging. Good thing is it can turn in a flash. We will be in Unit 9 around 10,000' starting next Tuesday and hunting on Wednesday. Good luck to you guys.
                                I bet it really fires off when the moon gets close to full next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X