No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friend is in Unit 34 New Mexico for tomorrows opener and the bulls are already talking.

Comment

Called in a spike this am in N Central NM. Heard about 12 bugles and caught a glimpse of 2 different potential shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Saw 75 or so head this afternoon about a mile off. Must have heard 15-20 bugles this morning and right before dark. Things are looking up in Montana

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          Ok. I will be camping using a tent. Probably camp in The 6-7k elevation range. It is possible to have snow and probable that the wind will be blowing and it will be cold.
          I will have a lion tag with me as well. Sometimes I get distracted from my elk hunt trying to call another lion in.
          I know the unit very well so we will be mobile until we find a herd. Then we will hike into wherever the elk are.
          We will see some very big bulls that are off limits. But you will get a chance to visualize bulls and possibly communicate with them.

We will probably be on the NW side of the unit for camping.
          I will show you some things on the public grounds so you will get an idea of what your looking for when you ever start scouting for your own bull hunt.

This is a huge opportunity to learn, again, great offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post
            Called in a spike this am in N Central NM. Heard about 12 bugles and caught a glimpse of 2 different potential shooters.

what unit? i will be headed to 51 in 11 days
            Last edited by txpanhandle32; 09-02-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
              guess i gotta call the fam and tell them i wont be at thanksgiving this year
              Whatever you do, don't tell them where you will be

Otherwise if you kill one they will expect you to supply elk prime rib for Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                It's game time, ladies and gentlemen! Adam and I will hit the trail in about an hour. Hopefully we'll report back during the week while we're dropping meat at the cold storage!

Best of luck.

Mine starts next Saturday. Working in Denver this week.

Comment

Last two days of updates from my buddy in 17.

Saturday- Made a play on a 350+ bull. Got within 115 yards before the bull ran off. Poured rain most of the day. At the end of the day we glassed a couple of good looking bulls that we will try and work in the AM.

Sunday-12 mile hike. Six bulls. not responding, not vocal, no interest. we will continue to follow our pre hunt scouting trips plans in the morning.

Comment

That sounds spot on the what me and my buddy experienced. Hiked 8 miles yesterday in the nasty timber, finally found a small heard bedded in the rain but no shooters. Got on 2 bugles this am, 2 bulls locked up in timber about 200 yards out. Got in the loser’s way as he was retreating but winded at 85 yards. He was about to be in trouble. 6x 290”ish. Everything shut up 20 minutes after daybreak.

We are hunting closer to red river.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Hunted first 7 days in southern Colorado. Found a lot of solo cows and solo bulls. Found one bachelor group of 5 bulls. Same as last year, a few bugles the first two mornings then they shut down. We were lucky to work a bull Sunday morning and close the deal.

Headed back end of next week with the hopes that they start talking. Good luck to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                        Last two days of updates from my buddy in 17.

Saturday- Made a play on a 350+ bull. Got within 115 yards before the bull ran off. Poured rain most of the day. At the end of the day we glassed a couple of good looking bulls that we will try and work in the AM.

Sunday-12 mile hike. Six bulls. not responding, not vocal, no interest. we will continue to follow our pre hunt scouting trips plans in the morning.

Ive hunted mulies in that unit, but haven’t been able to drawca tag in 10years there. Some day!!!

Comment

Leaving in 2 weeks for Chama and cant wait!!

Comment

Was in 16c in NM over the weekend. Heard 3 bugles from one bull. Saw a couple mature bulls still in bachelor groups. Headed back on Friday to hopefully find some more vocal elk.

Comment

This is getting real. Me and KrauseJMK head out in a few hours. CO unit 55 either sex archery tags!

Comment

Me and a buddy are hitting the road in 24 hours for a week for our first trip out west. Tomorrow is going to crawl by at work.

Comment

Working...
                                X