No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pacing my PTO so I can save some for next year. who wants to set up a trip?
    i pay the equivalent of a mathews both every month in CS so i want to DIY

Comment

Originally posted by Neano View Post
      Called in a 5x5 yesterday to 40 yards broadside. Went to draw and my arrow shot off before I could fully draw. Confused and with the bull not moving a nocked another arrow. Same thing happened. My Dloop wore out at the worst time ever. Bull walked off and I’m in town getting it fixed now. Back into the mountains this afternoon.

Yikes! I have Dloop material in my possibles pouch just for such an incident. How far in were you hunting? How far to town?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
        pacing my PTO so I can save some for next year. who wants to set up a trip?
        i pay the equivalent of a mathews both every month in CS so i want to DIY
        Your more than welcome meet me in Lincoln County this coming thanksgiving week for my cow hunt. I bet i could find you a uw cow tag for reasonable cost as well. Not a bull but you can get your feet wet with handling and packing loads of elk if we fill the tags.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          Your more than welcome meet me in Lincoln County this coming thanksgiving week for my cow hunt. I bet i could find you a uw cow tag for reasonable cost as well. Not a bull but you can get your feet wet with handling and packing loads of elk if we fill the tags.
          Really cool offer!

Comment

It's game time, ladies and gentlemen! Adam and I will hit the trail in about an hour. Hopefully we'll report back during the week while we're dropping meat at the cold storage!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              It's game time, ladies and gentlemen! Adam and I will hit the trail in about an hour. Hopefully we'll report back during the week while we're dropping meat at the cold storage!

Good luck Michael!!!

I washed the last of my gear last night. All packed now, just waiting until my flight to Alberta on Sep 13th. Will be hunting southern Alberta's Porcupine Hills area through the 23rd and will be based in a little town called Claresholm.
              Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Good luck up there and be safe!!

Comment

Yikes! I have Dloop material in my possibles pouch just for such an incident. How far in were you hunting? How far to town?

We were quite aways out from camp where we had a toolbox full of repair stuff. Tried tying one on myself and couldn’t get it right with my peep. First time replacing a Dloop. It was about 45 min from the closest town with an archery shop. Got it done right and I’ve been back in the elk. Had a shot at a cow, but was trying to work a bull. He just wasn’t interested enough as he had 5 cows with him already. He took his girls and left.

Comment

We were quite aways out from camp where we had a toolbox full of repair stuff. Tried tying one on myself and couldn’t get it right with my peep. First time replacing a Dloop. It was about 45 min from the closest town with an archery shop. Got it done right and I’ve been back in the elk. Had a shot at a cow, but was trying to work a bull. He just wasn’t interested enough as he had 5 cows with him already. He took his girls and left.
                    You hunting public or private? Good luck on letting another one fly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Have fun up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                        You hunting public or private? Good luck on letting another one fly

Public OTC

Comment

Public OTC
                          Oh sweet. Must have found a good spot

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                            guess i gotta call the fam and tell them i wont be at thanksgiving this year
                            Attached Files

Comment

Headed to unit 81 in CO on the 12-23rd time frame. If any of you leave for the season and want to help a fat guy from walking way too much looking for elk out me and my aeration system would much appreciate it. Good Luck to all the hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                                guess i gotta call the fam and tell them i wont be at thanksgiving this year

Ok. I will be camping using a tent. Probably camp in The 6-7k elevation range. It is possible to have snow and probable that the wind will be blowing and it will be cold.
                                I will have a lion tag with me as well. Sometimes I get distracted from my elk hunt trying to call another lion in.
                                I know the unit very well so we will be mobile until we find a herd. Then we will hike into wherever the elk are.
                                We will see some very big bulls that are off limits. But you will get a chance to visualize bulls and possibly communicate with them.

We will probably be on the NW side of the unit for camping.
                                I will show you some things on the public grounds so you will get an idea of what your looking for when you ever start scouting for your own bull hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X