No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave in 10 days for three weeks in N.M.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
      Oh I’ve done the math. I figure 30 miles after the kill if I can do 3 loads 42 if it takes 4. Gonna be a bummer. weather being cool enough would be the real determining factor. Hopefully I don’t have to go that far to find one, that’s just the furthest I was considering going and was curious of others thoughts.
      Five of you are carrying a cape and head...

Comment

I always wonder if folks that take and make those 800-1000 yard shots were thinking before they start to pack an animal.

I was looking at some country last week that fire had damaged the previous year or so. Man I was thinking how hard it would be to pack an elk out with all the dead fall trees scattered. It would take hours to move the elk just a few yards if the wind wasn't blowing.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          I always wonder if folks that take and make those 800-1000 yard shots were thinking before they start to pack an animal.

I was looking at some country last week that fire had damaged the previous year or so. Man I was thinking how hard it would be to pack an elk out with all the dead fall trees scattered. It would take hours to move the elk just a few yards if the wind wasn't blowing.
          Personally I have a hard enough time remembering where they where standing when only 40 yards away. At a 1000 I forgot after first 3 minutes of walking

Comment

That's a tough haul out by yourself, I'd be careful about taking it on solo.

Comment

I'm doing a solo one myself and contemplating the same thing. How far and how long would it take..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I love to eat it and it's on my bucket list.

Comment

You can find someone with horses to pack your elk out for a fee fairly easy if you get to far out. It cost a little but it can make your life easier if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                    You can find someone with horses to pack your elk out for a fee fairly easy if you get to far out. It cost a little but it can make your life easier if you need it.
                    Smarter, not harder comes to mind! Im in this boat.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthTX1911 View Post
                      Get pumped! Just got this dude back last night!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      That's a great bull, what did he score?

Comment

The number of trips to get a bull out solo will completely depend on how you go about it and how rough the terrain is.

If you don’t have the ability to skull cap a bull there is no way your getting it out in 3 loads. If you can’t handle a 160+ pound load your not getting it out in 3 loads. Obviously meat will be deboned.

Here is how i packed my bull last year.
                        Load 1- one hind quarter, backstraps, tenderloin, all hunting gear and equipment.

Load 2- cape, skull capped antlers, front shoulder and half the neck meat.

Load 3- one hind quarter, one front shoulder, rest of neck meat.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by JES View Post
                          That's a great bull, what did he score?

Thanks! 363” most certainly will never kill one that big ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                            The number of trips to get a bull out solo will completely depend on how you go about it and how rough the terrain is.

If you don’t have the ability to skull cap a bull there is no way your getting it out in 3 loads. If you can’t handle a 160+ pound load your not getting it out in 3 loads. Obviously meat will be deboned.

Here is how i packed my bull last year.
                            Load 1- one hind quarter, backstraps, tenderloin, all hunting gear and equipment.

Load 2- cape, skull capped antlers, front shoulder and half the neck meat.

Load 3- one hind quarter, one front shoulder, rest of neck meat.

Ida called a pack guide on that first trip as soon as I got to the truck!

Comment

Hunting Chama, NM for the 3rd year in a row starting September 15! The elk never left the ranch until January due to the small amount of snow they received so a lot of the younger bulls we passed last year should have made it through rifle season. Hoping this is my lucky year!

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                                Hunting Chama, NM for the 3rd year in a row starting September 15! The elk never left the ranch until January due to the small amount of snow they received so a lot of the younger bulls we passed last year should have made it through rifle season. Hoping this is my lucky year!
                                Who you hunting with?

Comment

Working...
                                X