The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsills View Post
    If you were hunting a private land late September New Mexico archery hunt with a guide what would you bring in your pack? Knife, Binos, range finder, wind checker, flashlight, rain jacket. Im in descent shape just never been Elk hunting and dont want to forget anything obvious, and I am looking for the must haves I dont know about. Was hoping to get away with a fanny pack instead of a back pack.
    Yes, plus water, blister kit, one pair of socks, snacks and hoodie.

It’s just easier. Lots of great lightweight packs that work great for that.

Comment

Ask the guide for a list of things to bring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
        If you were hunting a private land late September New Mexico archery hunt with a guide what would you bring in your pack? Knife, Binos, range finder, wind checker, flashlight, rain jacket. Im in descent shape just never been Elk hunting and dont want to forget anything obvious, and I am looking for the must haves I dont know about. Was hoping to get away with a fanny pack instead of a back pack.
        Do not forget wet-wipes! Nothing worse than a full pack of "stuff" but have to ask for paper products.

Comment

Enough for a good tip.

Comment

Extra release and sight. Extra copy of license/tags. Couple protein bars. Moleskin. Band-Aids. Extra batteries for lights, sight light, rangefinder.

Comment

Snacks for the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All good advice above. For me a small lightweight pack with a bladder in it works better than a fanny pack. I do not like the weight pulling down on my waste and rather have it on my shoulders. I find a bladder is quieter than carrying plastic water bottles and water sloshing. I keep it light being I'm returning to camp after each hunt.

Comment

How far is to far to kill an elk from the truck by yourself? Would 6 miles be to far if it was mostly, relatively gently down hill? Or would a diffrent route out that was about 1.75 but steep down then steep up be better? Only reason I’m considering the 6 miles is it would be mostly down hill hauling the elk back to o the truck. All of those assuming it’s cool enough for the elk to last a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                    How far is to far to kill an elk from the truck by yourself? Would 6 miles be to far if it was mostly, relatively gently down hill? Or would a diffrent route out that was about 1.75 but steep down then steep up be better? Only reason I’m considering the 6 miles is it would be mostly down hill hauling the elk back to o the truck. All of those assuming it’s cool enough for the elk to last a couple of days.
                    Gonna be an individual decision. Personally I'd be fine with the 6 miles mostly downhill. I'd rather not pack heavy loads over much incline if I can help it.

Comment

Depends how many people are helping with the pack out also. On a bull you many be looking at 4-5 loads, depending on the size of the bull, if taking the skull/cape, how much meat you can scrap off, and physical ability. @ 12 miles round trip, that's 48-60 miles solo. Half with heavy weight, the other half uphill. Then you have to go back and get your camp out. Just something to think about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                          Very very Few can do it under 2 days. A few can do it in 3 days and most could do it in 4

A lot just depends on heat, trail condition, over all elevation and elevation change. In addition gatigue wise, boots and pack choice also play a big part.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                            Depends how many people are helping with the pack out also. On a bull you many be looking at 4-5 loads, depending on the size of the bull, if taking the skull/cape, how much meat you can scrap off, and physical ability. @ 12 miles round trip, that's 48-60 miles solo. Half with heavy weight, the other half uphill. Then you have to go back and get your camp out. Just something to think about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                            I don't think that some people take the time to figure up the total miles and the time it would take, until after the shot. Carrying 80ish lbs for 24-30 miles ain't no joke...especially solo!
                            Wonder how many elk quarters get left on the mountain every year. My guess is several.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                              I don't think that some people take the time to figure up the total miles and the time it would take, until after the shot. Carrying 80ish lbs for 24-30 miles ain't no joke...especially solo!
                              Wonder how many elk quarters get left on the mountain every year. My guess is several.
                              Oh I’ve done the math. I figure 30 miles after the kill if I can do 3 loads 42 if it takes 4. Gonna be a bummer. weather being cool enough would be the real determining factor. Hopefully I don’t have to go that far to find one, that’s just the furthest I was considering going and was curious of others thoughts.
                              Last edited by Etxnoodler; 08-27-2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

We're headed out Saturday and will be hunting the high country above Chama by this time next week!

Comment

Working...
                                X