The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
    Anybody else muzzleloader hunting Colorado this year?

What muzzleloader setup are you using? I just spent enough on a hooded front sight, receiver peep, and front sight inserts to buy a lower end decent scope.
    You picked up a left over muzzleloader elk tag? What unit? PM if you prefer. There weren't a ton of options and you might be in the same unit I am going first rifle.

Comment

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
      I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

Sorry I don't know why it posted that many videos.....operator error.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post
          Been silent on this thread for awhile. I didnt think I was going this year, but we are gonna be in 81 from 9/13-9/23, 5 of us from my FD.

If anyone wants to exchange numbers to have a contact up there, shoot me a text 214 973 3082. We will have 4 wheelers and a much more comfortable camp site than I had last yr.
          I'll be in 81 the opener till sept 9 planning on doing a lot of sitting on water most of the time, sounds like that may be my best shot since its been so dry

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
            Anybody else muzzleloader hunting Colorado this year?

What muzzleloader setup are you using? I just spent enough on a hooded front sight, receiver peep, and front sight inserts to buy a lower end decent scope.

I am but for mule deer. I’m using an Austin & Halleck with open sights. With the type of hunting I’m doing I can’t go with a peep. Action may be too quick and I didn’t want to potentially limit myself in low light situations.

Comment

This might be a stupid question but this is my first elk hunt in Colorado. What do you do with the tag if you debone the meat where you make the kill? I read it has to stay with the carcass, If all you carry out is boneless meat and skull with antlers is that the proof of sex?
              Last edited by dustin_mud; 08-10-2018, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dustin_mud View Post
                This might be a stupid question but this is my first elk hunt in Colorado. What do you do with the tag if you debone the meat where you make the kill? I read it has to stay with the carcass, If all you carry out is boneless meat and skull with antlers is that the proof of sex?
                No the detached head is not proof of sex. You can carry out boneless meat but you would have to leave the testicles attached on a quarter (boneless or not).

This was copy/pasted directly from the CPS Big Game Brochure:

3. Heads detached from carcass are not adequate evidence of sex.

4.If a carcass is cut in pieces or deboned, evidence of sex needs to be attached to a quarter or another major part of carcass. All portions must be transported together.

Comment

So tag on the meat?

Comment

Originally posted by dustin_mud View Post
                    So tag on the meat?
                    Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                      Sorry I don't know why it posted that many videos.....operator error.
                      Great video. Thanks for posting. I have seen them make those frontal shots and it always looks pretty intimidating. They did a good job explaining it.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                        Great video. Thanks for posting. I have seen them make those frontal shots and it always looks pretty intimidating. They did a good job explaining it.
                        Yep same here. I've never attempted one myself but its good to know its do-able under the right circumstances. I always wondered about the aiming point. Its above where I thought it would be but it makes total sense.

The best one I've seen was a kid that killed a big bull at 15 yards or so and he just gushed blood right in his tracks and fell over.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                          Yep same here. I've never attempted one myself but its good to know its do-able under the right circumstances. I always wondered about the aiming point. Its above where I thought it would be but it makes total sense.

The best one I've seen was a kid that killed a big bull at 15 yards or so and he just gushed blood right in his tracks and fell over.
                          I know the one you are speaking of. The blood almost looks fluorescent shooting out of the neck. Never seen anything like it.

Comment

Did I understand correctly from video that the frontal aimpoint is about 9 inches above the color-change boundary on the chest, with about a grapefruit-size entry area?

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                              Did I understand correctly from video that the frontal aimpoint is about 9 inches above the color-change boundary on the chest, with about a grapefruit-size entry area?
                              That was my understanding, but I believe the entry area is a bigger than a grapefruit. I think he said a small basketball. I've heard Corey Jacobsen describe it and I think he said it is somewhere around 9" in diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                                That was my understanding, but I believe the entry area is a bigger than a grapefruit. I think he said a small basketball. I've heard Corey Jacobsen describe it and I think he said it is somewhere around 9" in diameter.
                                Right, I meant to say cantaloupe -- he said that and small basketball. I just got grapefruit in my mind thinking of a conservatively smaller image. Was also glad to hear them mention a friend of theirs getting a frontal kill with a recurve.

Comment

Working...
                                X