The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
    New Mexico Game and Fish envelope in the mailbox today!
    Got my carcass tag yesterday. Debating on bear tag.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
      I'm not sure you have to work out at all.

I hunted with Milligan Brand back in 2011. We got up and drove a pickup out to the property and watched as the sun came up. If we didn't see anything we went back to the house and sat there all day eating and watching TV until a couple hours before dark. We went back out in the evening and sat until dark then headed back to the house.
      I hear ya. Been working out since December. But not necessarily for the elk hunt. Did y'all get any **** opportunities with Milligan Brand?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
        Most of Milligan's properties are easy to get around on. Don't sweat it too much Bobby. I can only think of one ranch that has some steep stuff but the truck will get you to the elk. My buddies are going the 3rd week this year. I decided to pass this year to put in for Gila.

Good luck!
        We are going the 15th-19th.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
          For those that hunt water a lot what time of day do the elk usually come to water? Do y’all set up directly on the water or ambush on the way to water?
          Where we hunt, they mostly come to water in the evening, but I have shot a bull over water in the morning. If you have a particular water hole you're hunting, I would put a camera at least 60 yards away and set it on time lapse or plot watch. That way, you don't spook them by having a camera too close.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            Where we hunt, they mostly come to water in the evening, but I have shot a bull over water in the morning. If you have a particular water hole you're hunting, I would put a camera at least 60 yards away and set it on time lapse or plot watch. That way, you don't spook them by having a camera too close.
            Well dang. I just got back from a scouting trip and put the camera directly on the water. Figured it it doesn’t spook Deer it wouldn’t elk either. Have you seen it affect movement?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
              Well dang. I just got back from a scouting trip and put the camera directly on the water. Figured it it doesn’t spook Deer it wouldn’t elk either. Have you seen it affect movement?
              You'll be fine, especially if it's a "no-flash" camera. I like setting the cameras up a good distance away to also see what direction and trails the elk are coming from.

Comment

If you like podcasts Gritty Bowmen episode 360 has lots of good info on trail camera specific topics.

Comment

Talked to our outfitter/guide this morning and they are seeing a lot of elk and things are looking good!! We will be hunting the last week of this month, opening week, all on private land. They have 9500 acres they least this year that has not been hunted before!! We are hunting South East Colorado.
                  Good luck to all and be safe!

Comment

Thanks guys. I thought about putting It on trails to the water instead of right on it after I was out of the mountains. That probably would have been a better idea.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                      Received my Colorado deer tag yesterday. I was starting to worry about it a bit.
                      Where you hunting this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Shallowater View Post
                        Where you hunting this year?

Eastern plains

Really looking forward to this one.

I have a goal in mind for the 30-45 day period starting September 15. It all hinges on getting a respectable elk on the ground in New Mexico. If that happens then I’m hoping to break 700” of bone between my Mule Deer, Elk and Whitetail hunts that I have planned during that time. If I don’t come through on elk then there is no way to get there. The mule deer and whitetail are gonna be solid. It just depends on what we find in New Mexico and if the rains over the last 30-45 days were in time or not.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                          Eastern plains

Really looking forward to this one.

I have a goal in mind for the 30-45 day period starting September 15. It all hinges on getting a respectable elk on the ground in New Mexico. If that happens then I’m hoping to break 700” of bone between my Mule Deer, Elk and Whitetail hunts that I have planned during that time. If I don’t come through on elk then there is no way to get there. The mule deer and whitetail are gonna be solid. It just depends on what we find in New Mexico and if the rains over the last 30-45 days were in time or not.
                          A man's gotta have something to shoot for. Good luck!

Comment

This will be my firts elk otc archery hunt in Colorado, can anyone tell me the "busy" weeks? I know with otc its going to be a lot of hunters but what weeks are more packed then others? I was thinking opening week and peak runt, am I off on that? Thank you to anyone that can help.

Comment

Originally posted by dustin_mud View Post
                              This will be my firts elk otc archery hunt in Colorado, can anyone tell me the "busy" weeks? I know with otc its going to be a lot of hunters but what weeks are more packed then others? I was thinking opening week and peak runt, am I off on that? Thank you to anyone that can help.
                              Busiest High country will be Aug 25-Sept 1. Mule deer
                              Busiest backcountry will be 15-22 elk
                              Busiest trailhead/front country is sept 8-16 due to ML tag holders all

I use to be able to go 4-5 miles back and see no one, now at 8 miles it’s howdy, good luck, nice meeting you, I appreciate the compliment on my realistic bugle.

I personally like 8-16th the most

Comment

Anybody else ready to chase em? 34 days til I head out.

Comment

Working...
                                X