The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWP View Post
    Get your AZ applications in boys and girls!!! Just don't take my unit 9 tag. ha ha ha ha I have exactly 0.5% draw odds, so you're saying there is a chance!!!
    Also check your CC expiration date... it can be an issue. Especially if you have Cabela’s blk card. Frustrating

Comment

Originally posted by SpankyWF View Post
      Anyone go to Pagosa Springs, Colorado area? I have been going a few years just wondering if anyone one else on here is chasing elk there
      You will have a LOT of company in Pagosa area. Get up high and stay up high! Hunted there three years ago and it was hot hot and dry. Elk were all at treee line or above. I really like that town though.

Comment

Montana apps are open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't hardly wait for WY results. Have about two more weeks to find out.

Comment

LWC, what did you apply for? I thought 2 points was going to be good for a general tag, but now I’m not so sure.

Comment

Applied for a type 9 (archery) tag. I have 6 points. Should draw based on last years numbers but you never know.

Comment

I usually hunt 76. Got a cow tag there last year and filled it on day 4! My buddies are skipping a year so I am looking for an OTC unit this year and the Pagosa area has attracted my attention. Any suggestions on unit is welcome and also if someone needs a second for the buddy system let me know. Interested in 2nd or 3rd rifle season.

Comment

Question for you Colorado Elk Gurus?

I am trying to squeeze in two Colorado elk hunts this year. I understand you cannot have two A tags. I will secure one A tag via OTC. Question, can I pick up another A tag as a leftover?

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
                    I am trying to squeeze in two Colorado elk hunts this year. I understand you cannot have two A tags. I will secure one A tag via OTC. Question, can I pick up another A tag as a leftover?
                    I am sure you can have only 1 A tag no matter how you get it. See page 33 of this year's Big Game booklet. Good luck!

Comment

Headed west to elk hunt for the first time this year, just going to go with OTC Archery Colorado.

Started workouts at the beginning of the year and finally got my pack in so I was able to go on a good hike this past weekend. Carried 50 pounds for 6 miles and was feeling pretty good. Planning on adding 5 pounds every couple weeks. How do you guys best prepare for the slopes that are encountered that cant really be recreated here in Texas?

Also, does anyone have any experience in the Unit 421/521 area? Found a few areas that look good but I know these units are heavily hunted and just wanted to know other experience in the area regarding how many other hunters you had to deal with as well as how ATV usage in the areas affected you hunting, if at all.

Comment

Headed west to elk hunt for the first time this year, just going to go with OTC Archery Colorado.

Started workouts at the beginning of the year and finally got my pack in so I was able to go on a good hike this past weekend. Carried 50 pounds for 6 miles and was feeling pretty good. Planning on adding 5 pounds every couple weeks. How do you guys best prepare for the slopes that are encountered that cant really be recreated here in Texas?

Also, does anyone have any experience in the Unit 421/521 area? Found a few areas that look good but I know these units are heavily hunted and just wanted to know other experience in the area regarding how many other hunters you had to deal with as well as how ATV usage in the areas affected you hunting, if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post

First question just keep doing what your doing and increase the inclines you hike as you move up. I bleachers and step ups with my pack on until I physically cant anymore, then I repeat the next day. ONe thing is for sure ... there is no training for lack of oxygen. I have tried the elevation mask and everything, just have to take your time when your in the mountains at 11-12k feet.

as to unit 421 I have done quite a bit of research and this unit interested our hunting party but we decided to go back to the unit we hunted last year do to the fact we saw and had chances at elk most day. Unit 421 on the north side near the battlement mesa area tends to hold a lot of elk and specific habitat that elk like. From the looks of ONX though it is a hike to get high in there. Statistics for the unit weren't that bad either. This may be a unit we pick next year so I would be interested to see how it goes if you pick that unit.

Comment

Happy to find this thread. This year will be my first elk hunt and first time hunting with a bow. Going to hunting a otc tag in Colorado, also will put in to draw a mule deer tag.

Buying the best gear I can get my hands on and shooting my bow daily. Getting my *** in shape by climbing almost daily and long hikes on the weekends.

Comment

If you guys can get a long weekend to scout a new area it would be worth the gas. The reason is two fold, 1) get a lay of the land and a better understanding of how big that country is with a pack on your back, this will be a big reality check and motivate you to keep pushing your fitness 2) you get to test all of your gear before hand, and especially make sure those boots fit correctly, you can wear boots all over Texas, but until you climb for an hour straight you have no idea if those heels are going to be toast or not.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                                If you guys can get a long weekend to scout a new area it would be worth the gas. The reason is two fold, 1) get a lay of the land and a better understanding of how big that country is with a pack on your back, this will be a big reality check and motivate you to keep pushing your fitness 2) you get to test all of your gear before hand, and especially make sure those boots fit correctly, you can wear boots all over Texas, but until you climb for an hour straight you have no idea if those heels are going to be toast or not.
                                Speaking of boots, what is everyone wearing. I’m looking at some Kenetreks, but curious what everyone else has.

Comment

Working...
                                X