The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
    A guy expecting hi-end hunts every year is either extremely lucky or extremely wealthy. You guys are in a tough spot. What is your definition of a top notch hunt? Is it the ease or the size...assuming size, so what is the Min you guys would consider? I don't have near the experience you guys do but I may have some ideas.
    He has plenty $ and has burned out on OTC hunts. He wants to be able to pass on 300" bulls and wants a shot at a 350"+. I think he feels this way because he can afford it and we have paid our dues. We have been on trips where we were covered up in elk, and trips where we couldn't find them at all. He wants to insure he wont get skunked' but I know that can happen anywhere.

I on the other hand just love elk hunting and I am happy if I can get in elk, but I have killed enough of the 250"-280"ish bulls. My family loves the meat so I would be just as happy to shot a cow as another one of these bulls. If I can hunt in an area where 300" bulls are possible I am happy. So I may be picky'er than some, but not as picky as others. We both have killed several in the 250"- 280" range.

This is why we put in for most of the western states and save points. Our hope is that in about 5 or 6 more years we will be able to draw a great hunt almost every year on elk or mule deer. Right now he has 14 elk points in CO. and I have 10 deer points. We have points in the other states but not enough to draw good units yet. The wait sux but hopefully it will pay off one day.

Or I may have to stop putting in with him so I can hunt a good unit soon instead of a great unit someday.

Luckily I know of some good units in CO. that I can draw with one point. So I can go there every other year. This year just happens to be the off year.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
      He has plenty $ and has burned out on OTC hunts. He wants to be able to pass on 300" bulls and wants a shot at a 350"+. I think he feels this way because he can afford it and we have paid our dues. We have been on trips where we were covered up in elk, and trips where we couldn't find them at all. He wants to insure he wont get skunked' but I know that can happen anywhere.

I on the other hand just love elk hunting and I am happy if I can get in elk, but I have killed enough of the 250"-280"ish bulls. My family loves the meat so I would be just as happy to shot a cow as another one of these bulls. If I can hunt in an area where 300" bulls are possible I am happy. So I may be picky'er than some, but not as picky as others. We both have killed several in the 250"- 280" range.

This is why we put in for most of the western states and save points. Our hope is that in about 5 or 6 more years we will be able to draw a great hunt almost every year on elk or mule deer. Right now he has 14 elk points in CO. and I have 10 deer points. We have points in the other states but not enough to draw good units yet. The wait sux but hopefully it will pay off one day.

Or I may have to stop putting in with him so I can hunt a good unit soon instead of a great unit someday.

Luckily I know of some good units in CO. that I can draw with one point. So I can go there every other year. This year just happens to be the off year.
      Understood....I am still in the early stages and I'll take a 250-280 bull every year if I can. I too, am still about 5-6 years away from drawing some fantastic tags.

If I had 14 pts in CO I'd be chasing unit 61 but creep is a killer.

Comment

Understood....I am still in the early stages and I'll take a 250-280 bull every year if I can. I too, am still about 5-6 years away from drawing some fantastic tags.

Yup he has his sights on 61, but I wish I could get some insight on the best unit to bow hunt big mulies? Sure would like to use those points up.

I hold awesome memories of each one and they are priceless but at some point you want to aim higher, but don't get me wrong just being in them is a satisfying dream world for me. Especially when they are talking.

Comment

So I'm definatly going to Colorado this year and am looking to plan a scouting trip. I've hunted the OTC unit in the past and plan to spread out a little more this year.

Any suggestions on time of year to go?

Comment

I agree.
            I have 7 PP for Colorado, and waiting until I move there to use them as a resident.

If I draw a general tag for Wyoming next year (didn't put in this year) then I know exactly where I'll be going. Saw some nice 6 point elk a few times in a very inaccessable spot when mule deer hunting a couple years ago. Plenty of room for them to roam without pressure and it was steep and deep. Plenty of areas out of the wind as well, and once I got into that drainage there were elk everywhere.
            Nothing like putting a stalk on a mule deer and hearing elk chewing before you see them.

Comment

Originally posted by Liven4TheHunt View Post
              So I'm definatly going to Colorado this year and am looking to plan a scouting trip. I've hunted the OTC unit in the past and plan to spread out a little more this year.

Any suggestions on time of year to go?
              The last week of archery.

Or do you mean for scouting?
              Last edited by ELKAHOLIC; 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                I agree.
                I have 7 PP for Colorado, and waiting until I move there to use them as a resident.

If I draw a general tag for Wyoming next year (didn't put in this year) then I know exactly where I'll be going. Saw some nice 6 point elk a few times in a very inaccessable spot when mule deer hunting a couple years ago. Plenty of room for them to roam without pressure and it was steep and deep. Plenty of areas out of the wind as well, and once I got into that drainage there were elk everywhere.
                Nothing like putting a stalk on a mule deer and hearing elk chewing before you see them.
                Niiiiiicccceee!

Comment

Yes scouting, going to fly up, rent a small suv and go scout for about four days. Will do a bare bones camp.

Comment

As for nice elk hunts. I think I will keep my eyes on the ball in my business and be able to just buy premium hunts. In complete and total seriousness, the draw/lottery/money grab system just about dictates it IMO. I have more control over my financial status then my draw odds. Don't get me wrong, I can't do it now. But I've got some serious motivation pics of some hunts hanging over my desk. Until then, thank goodness for OTC tags. Now back to work for me! Ha ha ha

Comment

Yup he has his sights on 61, but I wish I could get some insight on the best unit to bow hunt big mulies? Sure would like to use those points up.
                      I think picking 1 unit for Big Mulies in CO is pretty tough. There are a lot of units with high potential. The recent winters have been really tough on the classic herds. I too am looking on where to spend my future points...PM me and I'll let you know my findings.

Comment

Man this stuff has come down to a science. Why I couldn't I have grown up in the 80s and elk hunted the unit of my choice each year? As Terry and Danny know I have got into the different state game and giving them my hard earned $ each year to build up points. Very frustrating how hard it is to go on a quality elk hunt each year.

Folks if you want to be serious about elk hunting you better broaden your horizons. Think of any state possible. Put a lot of time behind a computer screen and magazines. Not all info is helpful but if you don't spend time studying you won't have a clue. Every tad bit of info could be useful some day.

With all the studying I have been doing I finally found the solution. It took lots of long hours to figure out but I will win the lottery and buy my own elk ranch. There problem solved.

I just hate not knowing where I will be hunting elk this year. On the flip side I know I will be somewhere chasing down bugling elk.

Comment

Originally posted by Liven4TheHunt View Post
                          Yes scouting, going to fly up, rent a small suv and go scout for about four days. Will do a bare bones camp.
                          I'm not sure it matters when. The problem with elk is they may be miles away from where they were when you go back. So you may find a ton of elk in an area now or this summer, but when the season gets here they may be gone. Or it could be the opposite.

So to me scouting is more learning the area and finding spots that look good. So you won't be in the dark when you go in (in the dark) the first morning of your hunt. Check out several areas and get to know them so you have a few back up plans.

Comment

I'm not sure it matters when. The problem with elk is they may be miles away from where they were when you go back. So you may find a ton of elk in an area now or this summer, but when the season gets here they may be gone. Or it could be the opposite.

So to me scouting is more learning the area and finding spots that look good. So you won't be in the dark when you go in (in the dark) the first morning of your hunt. Check out several areas and get to know them so you have a few back up plans.
                            Yep the old saying goes is the elk are where you find them at the time you are there.

Comment

Dang Terry just tell your brother to buy you a tag as well and you will go where ever he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
                                Dang Terry just tell your brother to buy you a tag as well and you will go where ever he wants.
                                workin on that

Comment

Working...
                                X