The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
    It doesn't matter whose land the elk are on, it matters what state they live in. Just like in Texas, it doesn't matter if the deer are on your land, the state still owns and manages those deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

As is the case with many things, the rule of law doesn't always coincide with what is right. Nobody has argued over the ownership of the animals. The stringent restrictions applied to non-resident tag allocations by almost every state (except Texas) are BS due to the large volume of federally owned (and funded) land/habitat.

The dumb thing about it is the fact that these states are missing out on a MASSIVE economic windfall if they would just pull their head out of their hind end. Limit or eliminate non-resident tag allocations on units that are solely state owned land. On the remainder of the units don't put limits on the number of non-resident vs resident tags. All are equal except the non-residents pay a higher tag fee just like they do now. That is a direct and substantial increase in funding to the Fish and Game department of that state. Indirect economic impacts would be even more massive. Hotel, restaurant, grocery, fuel, outfitters would all see increased revenue and the corresponding tax revenue would be substantial. It's stupid for the western states to handle it the way that they currently do.

Comment

Struck out on my first elk trip. They stayed really high (10,600-11,700) and were really call shy. We had rain twice a day, every day. It was still a GREAT trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going to be sharing what I can from my OTC archery hunt coming up in Colorado on my Instagram both in the stories and in pictures. If you want to follow along follow me @brileyhicks. I am not someone who posts a lot on social media but I figure this is the best way to share with family, friends, and fellow hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
          Struck out on my first elk trip. They stayed really high (10,600-11,700) and were really call shy. We had rain twice a day, every day. It was still a GREAT trip.

I swear I've hunted right there before!

Were you near Rico?

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
            I swear I've hunted right there before!

Were you near Rico?

Nope, rico was about 90 miles to the west.
            That pic with the bow, i was sitting on a wallow. I had a black bear come into 35 yards after I did 2 sets of estrus cow bleats.
            I wish I'd have bought a bear tag.

Comment

So here's my story of the past week. Just got back yesterday, left the previous Tuesday. Got to my primary camp early, set up camp. Only me and another group of hikers so I was optimistic. Did my first hike to a lake, nothing there. No sign no vocals, nothing. Got up Wednesday morning hiked to another lake. Met the hikers who were camped next to me up there. So that was a blown out valley. 2 hr walk for nothing, back down to bust up camp and move. Busted camp and drove to Gunnison for a metal camp cup, forgot mine to heat up coffee. Went to Trafers Rendevous, VERY COOL PLACE. Stopped by CPWD for some insight and their wall map. Decided to head to spring creek camp. On my way in I'm looking at the canyon I'm in wondering if it's all like this. Driving slow and a rancher pulled up behind me. I pulled over so he could pass, than a couple bends up he was broke down in the middle of the road. Got him pulled over to a wide spot and he hopped in the truck with me. Started talking and he says he hasn't seen any Elk. He gave me a few spots. Steepest dang country I've been in. Holy cow. Spooked a couple cows on Wednesday but they never showed back up. Called a young satellite to 5yds and just watched him. That was really cool. My first bull to call in. Then nothing the rest of the week. All the elk were very very quiet. Overall a good hunt/hike. Cows were seen at about 10k, bull was 11k. I tried every elevation from 10.5-11k and nothing. I reached a point where I honestly didn't know what to do or where to go. Was just kinda lost on ideas.
              So now I'm looking for a leftover rifle hunt.

Comment

Tbreak- don't feel bad I hunted a unit I've hiked and already knew the entire basin(I grew up in it). I've packed several rifle bulls and cows out of it also.

I found elk from 7k to 11.5k but none where call able. I've never been that humbled by elk in 15 years... straight gave me the international sign of hello and then got soaking wet!!!

I've never been so at a loss for what todo next. Sat water and wallow, called, glass/spot and stock etc. CO otc units love to humble
                Last edited by Texans42; 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Double post
                  Last edited by Texans42; 09-18-2017, 12:58 PM. Reason: Double post

Comment

I still have until mid November before I get to chase elk, I didn't even know it was about to be deer opener, whitetail are just good target practice. ha ha ha

But I did just order a new spotter that I probably didn't need, dang gear beetch.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Jicarilla bull.

Last edited by ladrones; 09-28-2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                        Jicarilla bull.

Wow. That is one of, if not the, most impressive elk I've ever seen.

Comment

What kind of tents are y'all using

Comment

I just picked up a 1st season cow tag, heck yea. Second shot. Was not looking forward to going in November for 4th season

New area, gotta start e scouting since it's only like 2 weeks away

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                              Jicarilla bull.

Brick **** house right there.

-------------------------------
                              Violence never settles anything
                              -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Need some insight on hunting strategies.

I'm looking for advice as to how to hunt the 1st season rifle. I picked up another cow tag. Should they be herded up by then, still possibly in rut? Where should I focus on cows, meadows(food) &water first? Only have 2 days so it's a all or nothing since this is my second "b" tag. I've watched several YouTube videos and will rewatch them before I leave. I got to a point in ML season where I didn't know what to do. Tried all the options I knew of. Gotta expand my knowledge base

I've only hunted muzzleloader the past 2 years

Comment

Working...
                                X