No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that folks have already posted WY results...

I didn't draw this year but now have 6 PP which is one less than the max. Gonna go after one of the ultra premium hunts as this will probably be my only chance. I could have drawn a good wilderness unit already but for that dreaded WY outfitter law.

Comment

I too have one point less than max. i did not draw this year, was trying for 24.. oh well... still have Wyoming (deer and antelope), Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Arizona and Texas to go. Coloardo and Kansas are just points this year. Conradultations to those who drew Wyoming Elk, have fun !!.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
        My crew drew Wyoming Elk again with 0 points!!!!!!!
        Thats Awesome!!!!!! I need some luck to come my way and get a tag here in NM.

Comment

Something understood but not oftern discussed about elk hunting, avoid the hiking folk.

I researched and area in Colorado one year and found a basin a couple miles in that was deep and promising, and there were two ways in. One way I knew was tough, had to go straight up 1,000 feet ridge to get over that to access the basin, on top of that then it was two basins over from there and this was right at the continental divide.
          The other way in was a little bit longer, but was fairly even terrain to get in there and there looked to be an old narrow gauge railroad bed we could follow.
          What we found when we got there is the old railroad bed was now a full blown hiking trail that everyone and their grandma was using.
          We encountered about 15 people at the trailhead as we loaded up our 55 lb packs and started in, with heavy loads we were moving slowly up the trail and would get passed by speed hikers about every 15 minutes. When we finally got to where we could see the head of the valley we saw pristine elk habitat, beautiful timberline country, and about 30 hikers exploring the area.
          We ended up with a 3 hour hike with 55 lb packs for nothing, and then had to switch to plan B and head into a different drainage.

Lesson learned the hard way, when doing your scouting check for trails that are popular for hikers in the area and get away from them. You may use them for access a little way, but have a plan to get away from the crowd.

Comment

You guys chasing Limited units or going for General?

WY is an opportunity state for us so it's General tag for us every other year or if we get lucky, like this year, it's 2 years in a row.

This was the first year since the draw stabalized(3-4 years) that you were not 100% to draw a GEN tag with 1 point. More tags than last year but also more hunters applying. With the point creep in the limited units some guys may be giving up on them.
            Yeah we put in for unit 7 and a couple type 9 tags in the expensive draw. we knew it was a bit of a long shot but we might get lucky.

We talked about the general tag but we have no clue where to go. I need to research the general tag units more, just haven't had time.

We don't want to just go somewhere to kill another rag horn my brother and I have had our fill of them and we had rather shoot a cow. From now on we will try to go on higher quality hunts but staying home don't sound fun at all.

We will try to draw a decent unit in NM. this year to hopefully avoid CO. OTC.

Comment

You guys chasing Limited units or going for General?

WY is an opportunity state for us so it's General tag for us every other year or if we get lucky, like this year, it's 2 years in a row.

This was the first year since the draw stabalized(3-4 years) that you were not 100% to draw a GEN tag with 1 point. More tags than last year but also more hunters applying. With the point creep in the limited units some guys may be giving up on them.
              Did y'all put in for the regular draw or the expensive draw?

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                Yeah we put in for unit 7 and a couple type 9 tags in the expensive draw. we knew it was a bit of a long shot but we might get lucky.

We talked about the general tag but we have no clue where to go. I need to research the general tag units more, just haven't had time.

We don't want to just go somewhere to kill another rag horn my brother and I have had our fill of them and we had rather shoot a cow. From now on we will try to go on higher quality hunts but staying home don't sound fun at all.

We will try to draw a decent unit in NM. this year to hopefully avoid CO. OTC.
                A lot of people are saying unit 7 is overhyped, and not as good as people think.
                I think even a general Wyoming tag is better than OTC Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                  A lot of people are saying unit 7 is overhyped, and not as good as people think.
                  Oh I agree I have heard that too, but They have a decent number of lottery tags in that unit and I only had one point. Although it is overhyped it still sounds better than the general units or OTC in CO. The other tags we put in for we had like 38% odds. So it was worth a try.
                  I think the general tag would be better than OTC in CO. also but I don't know Where to go In those units. Oh well we have 2 points now.

Comment

Did y'all put in for the regular draw or the expensive draw?
                    Regular. We use years where we don't have a locked down hunt to sorta roll the dice. WY draw is first so we rolled the dice and hit on the same unit we hunted last year. If we didn't draw we were gonna apply for NM(which I still may do SOLO) and if that didn't work I had an OTC CO unit picked out.

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                    Agreed on both points

Comment

Regular. We use years where we don't have a locked down hunt to sorta roll the dice. WY draw is first so we rolled the dice and hit on the same unit we hunted last year. If we didn't draw we were gonna apply for NM(which I still may do SOLO) and if that didn't work I had an OTC CO unit picked out.

Agreed on both points
                      Yup that's a good plan. I would do the exact same but my brother is to the point that if it isn't a top notch hunt he doesn't want to go. So it's kinda costing me. I can't afford a voucher in the Gila every year. He can. I like the way y'all are doing it. After 21 straight years I don't think I could just sit at home, but OTC in CO. don't sound that great ether.

Comment

What do those vouchers run these days? Unit 15, 16a or b.

Comment

Yup that's a good plan. I would do the exact same but my brother is to the point that if it isn't a top notch hunt he doesn't want to go. So it's kinda costing me. I can't afford a voucher in the Gila every year. He can. I like the way y'all are doing it. After 21 straight years I don't think I could just sit at home, but OTC in CO. don't sound that great ether.
                          A guy expecting hi-end hunts every year is either extremely lucky or extremely wealthy. You guys are in a tough spot. What is your definition of a top notch hunt? Is it the ease or the size...assuming size, so what is the Min you guys would consider? I don't have near the experience you guys do but I may have some ideas.

Comment

I think His voucher in 15 was like 4 or 4500 and he got one in e for 2500 (I think!?)
                            Last edited by ELKAHOLIC; 02-22-2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                              What do those vouchers run these days? Unit 15, 16a or b.
                              Since the outfitter lobby was able to manipulate the state legislators into reducing the numbers of DIY non-resident tags I would imagine the demand for vouchers could increase due to the lack of available draw tags. It could create a higher price for the available vouchers. A win-win for the outfitter lobby.

Comment

Yep, supply and demand.

Comment

Working...
                                X