No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just over a week away from chasing pronghorn and about a month from elk. Good luck to the guys headed out this week and next .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any recommendations on backpacks for carrying a bow while on horseback?

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        I'm just over a week away from chasing pronghorn and about a month from elk. Good luck to the guys headed out this week and next .

I'm 3 weeks out for elk and not until oct for pronghorn.

Comment

Did you draw a Utah bull elk tag?!?!?!?!

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
          4 hrs of work tomorrow tomorrow and I'm off for 13 days. Headed up to Utah for the elk archery opener. Super pumped

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
            Any recommendations on backpacks for carrying a bow while on horseback?

Don't know how it would do on horseback... but I got this pack which has a bow holder.

ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004R7L7YU..._93cLzb75WS41Z

Comment

Jaker, I'm jealous man that looks like a dream.
              This will be my first year chasing Elk in Colorado. I will spend a lot of time on foot scouting for next year and plan to just camp near the truck for now til I gain enough exp but that camp setup you posted and these last pics is exactly what I'm working towards.

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
              Don't know how it would do on horseback... but I got this pack which has a bow holder.

ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004R7L7YU..._93cLzb75WS41Z

I have two of those, well one full pack and one just the frame which I added a meat bag to and it fits great. I like the build quality and they look good, but I haven't used them yet.
              Last edited by justletmein; 08-16-2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Jaker, I'm jealous man that looks like a dream.
                This will be my first year chasing Elk in Colorado. I will spend a lot of time on foot scouting for next year and plan to just camp near the truck for now til I gain enough exp but that camp setup you posted and these last pics is exactly what I'm working towards.

I have two of those, well one full pack and one just the frame which I added a meat bag to and it fits great. I like the build quality and they look good, but I haven't used them yet.

I did the truck camping thing my first year hunting Mulies in Arizona. It's a great way to go while you're just figuring everything out. But as I was told on here, getting your gear right and staying in deep is the way to go. There were a few days that I was in 4-6 miles when it got dark and I had to hike out all the way to the truck. That next year I gave all that extra walking the finger.

Comment

About time to take the sand bags out of the Kifaru and fill it up with real gear!

Comment

I'm leaving labor day weekend to central Colorado above timberline...hoping to find this buck. I'll also have an elk tag in pocket.

Is anyone else headed to central Colorado the week of labor day?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
                      I'm leaving labor day weekend to central Colorado above timberline...hoping to find this buck. I'll also have an elk tag in pocket.

I'm headed to 55 the middle of sept

Comment

I'll be headed to 82 on the 15th of Sept. Was in the area back in Feb. for a wedding and did a short scouting hike. 1 month to go and I can't focus on anything, but getting back up there.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Love colorado

Ready to get back up there as soon as possible!

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post

Nice buck. We are rolling out in a week and headed for timberline deer. NM elk Labor Day weekend through the 12th. Also drew late archery elk in AZ, gonna be a good year out west.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post
                              Nice buck. We are rolling out in a week and headed for timberline deer. NM elk Labor Day weekend through the 12th. Also drew late archery elk in AZ, gonna be a good year out west.
                              Chris, sent you a PM about the late hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post
                                Wow...you're gonna have a good fall!

Comment

Working...
                                X