No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WY Sheep is probably the best odds in the lower 48, better than Idaho. Depending on the hunt code you can get random odds as high as 2-3% as a NR, which is pretty unheard of. You just have to think of it more like NM where there are no points because you will never catch up to the max point holders...

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      Montana opens it up sometime in the next few months to buy a bonus point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      In Montana you can only get bonus points when you apply for a hunt. There is no points only option.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
        In Montana you can only get bonus points when you apply for a hunt. There is no points only option.

You can get a preference point and that pretty much guarantees you a combo license

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
          WY Sheep is probably the best odds in the lower 48, better than Idaho. Depending on the hunt code you can get random odds as high as 2-3% as a NR, which is pretty unheard of. You just have to think of it more like NM where there are no points because you will never catch up to the max point holders...
          There wasn't a single random draw for sheep with even 1% chance this year. Granted somebody will draw it. But for sure don't expect the preference points to get you anywhere if you started in the last 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

You can get a preference point and that pretty much guarantees you a combo license

My mistake I put in for sheep, pronghorn, goat, and moose on those species you have to apply for a hunt and pay the preference point fee at time of application.

Comment

I've dreamed of an elk hunt since I was about 10, and have never been able to afford it. I'm beginning research for a 2018 elk trip to NM. My brother moved out there this year, and we decided that we need to do it. I'll be reading through this thread.

I'll likely rifle hunt my first time, with an outfitter. I definitely want to bow hunt them my next trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Elk hunting is actually super affordable. Anyone can do it. I elk hunted every year during grad school when I had no money. Shot two elk too. If you can save $80 a month you can hunt elk.

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
                  Anyone that hunts CO OTC every use a hammock? I have a warbird blackbird and it is light even including the top tarp. And should be more comfortable than laying on the ground.
                  It will depend on where you are hunting, if you are hunting high you better be ready to get cold! I had two buddies freeze their cans off in their "bear burritos" one year. They both bought tents after that. We hunt nearly 11,000 and even second week it will get down to the high twenties at night. You use under quilts, top quilts, tarps and pretty soon you aren't nearly as light and takes a lot of space in the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                    I've dreamed of an elk hunt since I was about 10, and have never been able to afford it. I'm beginning research for a 2018 elk trip to NM. My brother moved out there this year, and we decided that we need to do it. I'll be reading through this thread.

I'll likely rifle hunt my first time, with an outfitter. I definitely want to bow hunt them my next trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    you can hunt colorado OTC every year door to door from Texas for less than 1500$ Elk hunting is WAY cheaper than deer hunting. Go get it.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      It will depend on where you are hunting, if you are hunting high you better be ready to get cold! I had two buddies freeze their cans off in their "bear burritos" one year. They both bought tents after that. We hunt nearly 11,000 and even second week it will get down to the high twenties at night. You use under quilts, top quilts, tarps and pretty soon you aren't nearly as light and takes a lot of space in the pack.
                      After doing further research and reading this thread from page one I have come to the same conclusion. I have a great light 3 man tent from REI that I will use if I get a partner or I will buy a 2 man light weight tent this year.

I plan to use this year to buy gear and get in shape then hunt in 2018.

I have merril boots I used in montana but I think I will need better boots for high country CO.

I have an eberelstock x2 but I think I need a little bigger pack for 5-6 day hunt. I am 6'1 and I think the x2 is a little short for my torso.

I am good on a bow.

I am thinking about adding some smartwool base layers medium weight? Would that be about right for September? And some kuiu attack pants.

Not sure what I am going to do for a top yet.

Getting in better shape is first priority. I am down to 185 lbs but need better leg strength for hill climbing.

This thread has been awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
                        After doing further research and reading this thread from page one I have come to the same conclusion. I have a great light 3 man tent from REI that I will use if I get a partner or I will buy a 2 man light weight tent this year.

I plan to use this year to buy gear and get in shape then hunt in 2018.

I have merril boots I used in montana but I think I will need better boots for high country CO.

I have an eberelstock x2 but I think I need a little bigger pack for 5-6 day hunt. I am 6'1 and I think the x2 is a little short for my torso.

I am good on a bow.

I am thinking about adding some smartwool base layers medium weight? Would that be about right for September? And some kuiu attack pants.

Not sure what I am going to do for a top yet.

Getting in better shape is first priority. I am down to 185 lbs but need better leg strength for hill climbing.

This thread has been awesome.

That will all depend on where and what time of year you are going hunting. Those boots may be money, but I would suggest getting something that is waterproof. I've had lots of buddies use the Quest 4D with a lot of success. They have no real break in period at all, but they won't last as long as some other all leather options.

Shelter, I think you are good also, you may want that extra weight/space if the weather gets bad. I use a big two man that is way too heavy, but I LOVE all the space to lay stuff out in.

A big thing, especially down lower is morning dew. You can literally get soaked from the ground up if there is ground cover, there are some pretty sweet gaiters out there for not much.

The attack pants are awesome, but they are pretty darn warm. If you get cold easily they are great, if you run hot like myself, I use the First Lite guide pants. They are not nearly as warm, but they can stretch as far as needed and dry very very fast.

I also use the first light llano, chama and uncompaghre (sp) in concert up top. Llano for climbing, chamma for glassing and throw the puffy on when it gets cold. Then I personally use a light weight rain jacket and pants, that will rip if you go bushwacking, but I only put it on and climb under a spruce/fir tree when it rains.

As for packs, I have hunted in kelty cache haulers to kifaru, just depends on your budget. They all work, kifaru is just really comfortable and made all in Colorado. Stone Glacier and Exo Mountain gear are good too. But you can get away with just about anything, just depends on how tough you are when it comes to hauling weight.

Comment

I went and got me some new boots during rei anniversary sale today. I tried on the salomon 4d and the lowa renegades. I liked the lowa a lot better. I have been running the lowa tibets but they are a little heavy and stiff for elk hunting. I'll take them and leave them in the truck just in case I need them for a nasty pack out

Comment

Anybody use vortex binoculars? How do you like them? If not what do you use to spot game and how do you like them?

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                              Anybody use vortex binoculars? How do you like them? If not what do you use to spot game and how do you like them?

I've got some Vortex items but I don't/won't use their bino's or scopes. There is just too big of a difference between any line Vortex makes and any of the alpha glass. I'm not saying that it is all bad. Some of it is fine for the money. But the best thing you will ever hear about Vortex is the warranty. They do have a great warranty. But two of the three alpha glass companies have phenomenal warranty and customer service AND the best glass available. Do you have to pay more for it? Yes......once.

My primary bino's (which I believe are the best all around binoculars on the planet for hunting) are Swarovski EL Swarovision 8.5x42's. Nothing short of spectacular. I have owned quite a bit of green glass and these are by far and away my favorites.

I will say that I expect to draw a mule deer tag in AZ this year and will be adding another pair to the stable that I feel are the second best that have ever been made......Swarovski EL Swarovision 12x50's. Hell, they are probably better than the 8.5x42's but for a general, all around pair of bino's the 8.5x42 wins. But I'm adding the 12x50's because of the terrain I will be hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                                I've got some Vortex items but I don't/won't use their bino's or scopes. There is just too big of a difference between any line Vortex makes and any of the alpha glass. I'm not saying that it is all bad. Some of it is fine for the money. But the best thing you will ever hear about Vortex is the warranty. They do have a great warranty. But two of the three alpha glass companies have phenomenal warranty and customer service AND the best glass available. Do you have to pay more for it? Yes......once.

My primary bino's (which I believe are the best all around binoculars on the planet for hunting) are Swarovski EL Swarovision 8.5x42's. Nothing short of spectacular. I have owned quite a bit of green glass and these are by far and away my favorites.

I will say that I expect to draw a mule deer tag in AZ this year and will be adding another pair to the stable that I feel are the second best that have ever been made......Swarovski EL Swarovision 12x50's. Hell, they are probably better than the 8.5x42's but for a general, all around pair of bino's the 8.5x42 wins. But I'm adding the 12x50's because of the terrain I will be hunting.
                                What are the two alpha companies with good warranties?

Comment

Working...
                                X