The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I Know you guys hunted on Spur lake ranch a couple years ago, thats a tough hunt too. I think if you hunt unit 15 you need a unit wide tag. Most of the national forest is better than private land in that unit.
    Originally posted by Chew View Post
    The Spur Lake hunt was pretty darn good. Last year was just too early. Trying to catch elk leaving the ranch at daylight from the alfalfa fields. No calling, no bugling, nothing. 10 minute hunt each morning. Then it was over.
    If you need some help with public land in 15 let me know. We scouted and deer hunted in that unit last fall and found some pretty good elk areas with natural springs.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
      If you need some help with public land in 15 let me know. We scouted and deer hunted in that unit last fall and found some pretty good elk areas with natural springs.
      Thanks. I appreciate it. If I don't get drawn for 16B I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. Maybe sit it out and save some money for next year.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate it. If I don't get drawn for 16B I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. Maybe sit it out and save some money for next year.

Which archery hunt you put in for? Looks like first you have a 14% chance to draw in the guided and second 10%.

I put in for 21a because it is right next to all those premium units, it fits well for a pack in backpack hunt with less roads and I have 18% chance of drawing in the guided. I think the fact that it has less roads and is a tougher hunt is the only reason that it has the better draw odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          Which archery hunt you put in for? Looks like first you have a 14% chance to draw in the guided and second 10%.

I put in for 21a because it is right next to all those premium units, it fits well for a pack in backpack hunt with less roads and I have 18% chance of drawing in the guided. I think the fact that it has less roads and is a tougher hunt is the only reason that it has the better draw odds.

JT......late archery was first choice and early was second. Me and Traildust put in together through an outfitter that does pack horse hunts and spike camps in 16B (Gila wilderness).

Comment

JT......late archery was first choice and early was second. Me and Traildust put in together through an outfitter that does pack horse hunts and spike camps in 16B (Gila wilderness).
            hope you draw. I am not sure where im hunting yet but i am killing an elk this year

Comment

Best of luck. This will be my 3rd season in a row if I get drawn. Nothing on the wall yet but it sure is addicting

Comment

Muzzleloader

Put in for the draw last night. I think I saw where they draw on June 1st? Seems kinda far away from an April 4th deadline.

Comment

Yeah its usually June and then another month or more before you get your money back if you were unsuccessful.

Comment

Gonna accumulate more CO points and go OTC elk and get land owner tags for mule deer again....assuming our land owner draws enough for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

21 is a hard hunt with a lot of people, we have hunted it before and I know people who guide there every year. There are some giants in that unit also. PM me if you make the draw and I will give you some info on the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                        21 is a hard hunt with a lot of people, we have hunted it before and I know people who guide there every year. There are some giants in that unit also. PM me if you make the draw and I will give you some info on the unit.

Are we thinking about the same unit? 21a only gives out 100 archery tags for the unit for both archery seasons. So 50 per season. That doesn't seem like a ton?

Comment

Are we thinking about the same unit? 21a only gives out 100 archery tags for the unit for both archery seasons. So 50 per season. That doesn't seem like a ton?

Your right im thinking of 23. sorry

Comment

Draw time is coming!!! Just finished up our video from last year's New Mexico hunt! Between the 4 of us we put down 3 monster Bulls! The video is kinda long but I wanted to show the ups and downs of the emotional roller coaster of a hunt. Chasing big game on public lands is by far the toughest yet most rewarding hunting you can do!! So here ya go! If you're using a computer, click the gear box on the bottom right corner and select 1080p HD for best quality. Also it helps to be on wifi! Enjoy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TGoody View Post
                              Draw time is coming!!! Just finished up our video from last year's New Mexico hunt! Between the 4 of us we put down 3 monster Bulls! The video is kinda long but I wanted to show the ups and downs of the emotional roller coaster of a hunt. Chasing big game on public lands is by far the toughest yet most rewarding hunting you can do!! So here ya go! If you're using a computer, click the gear box on the bottom right corner and select 1080p HD for best quality. Also it helps to be on wifi! Enjoy!!!

AWESOME!!! I ready to go! Come on Sept.

Comment

Originally posted by TGoody View Post

I like the video. Great work.

Comment

Working...
                                X