The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
    I'm looking for some insight, not your spots just this past years ground conditions. Im looking at Colorado unit 77 north side. Anyone have experience?
    Travis, whats up man? I have never hunted 77 but have spent a few summers up there camping over the years. Beautiful country. All of the Weminuche Wilderness was hit pretty hard with the Spruce Beetle, then a big chunk of the eastern portion including some of 77 burned back in 2013.

In other words, the habitat should be prime. The four year old burn should be awesome this fall. I knew a guy that shot a big bull with his bow up there a few years ago. I would imagine you will have plenty of company if you rifle hunt it.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      21a
      And 51 as third choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      If you get 21A, let me know. Have spent two weeks in that unit and have seen a couple BIG boys while deer hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        If you get 21A, let me know. Have spent two weeks in that unit and have seen a couple BIG boys while deer hunting.

Fingers are crossed [emoji847]

Wish I didn't have another two months to wait. Lol

Comment

Fingers are crossed [emoji847]

Wish I didn't have another two months to wait. Lol

how many on your application.
          I'm getting a late start this year, it won't take long to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
            how many on your application.

I'm getting a late start this year, it won't take long to catch up.

I put in solo. I'm going alone until I kill a bull. Going with people hasn't worked in 3 trips. I think I'll hunt harder by myself.

Comment

The outfitter I have been using said the forest service was changing their rules. Sounds like they are wanting to go up on the application fee.
              We may be going through the nr draw this year.
              The cost of hunting New Mexico is going out of site. I have 17 archery elk and may have my last.https://i.ytimg.com/vi/60aMj4kR2wQ/h...JrBB7Yc7S1mCm4

Comment

I'm done giving my money to NM.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                  I'm done giving my money to NM.

Lol why? They only charge you $13.00 if you don't draw

Last edited by JTeLarkin08; 02-14-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I'm just tired of applying and never getting drawn, the draw odds are stupid for a non-resident DIY guy like myself. I can't afford an outfitter or private land tag.

Comment

I'm just tired of applying and never getting drawn, the draw odds are stupid for a non-resident DIY guy like myself. I can't afford an outfitter or private land tag.
                      I hear ya. I'm 0 for the last 5 or 6 years. Very very frustrating for the DIY'er NR.

Comment

LO tags are getting stupid also, 45 was going for 3800plus last year.

Comment

I went twenty years as a resident before I got drawn.

Comment

I can understand that frustration but for a 13$ loss and the chance of drawing the gila, 34 or 36 I'll keep giving them my money. I'm tired of not killing a elk so if I have to I'll buy a LO tag this year

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                              I went twenty years as a resident before I got drawn.

That's insane to me!

Comment

I can understand that frustration but for a 13$ loss and the chance of drawing the gila, 34 or 36 I'll keep giving them my money. I'm tired of not killing a elk so if I have to I'll buy a LO tag this year

I hear ya, I'll likely keep applying, it's just insane to me the odds of getting drawn and the cost of the tags to hunt in NM.

Comment

Working...
                                X