The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
    So was asking for habitat status the killer of the thread?

Never been to 77

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Think I'm gonna get a wall tent, my old horse trainer has one that's a good 2 man.

Comment

Think I'm gonna get a wall tent, my old horse trainer has one that's a good 2 man.
        If you want to pack in at all, a wall tent is gonna be heavy as crap

Comment

No I figure that my truck will get me 80% of the way for my camp.

Comment

You will be better off with a light weight 2-3 man that you can put up and take down quickly.

Comment

Agree on the tent.....one day you might want to huff it to get ahead of a herd and spend the night. The lightweight tents are definitely worth it at that point.

At the very least, I would go with a very good bag and bivy so you have that option.

Right now, I have an ultralight tent and bivies but am looking at a canvas tent since my family is wanting to go more and more now. Those are less serious hunts at that point .

Comment

On the binos.....buy the very best as they are a lifetime investment. I regret not buying my swaros years ago like I should have when I was single....that and a rolex . Was hard to justify it to the wife until she tried them out as well. Luckily, she is a hunter as well and got it at that point. Better late than never, right?

I'm not a fan but am a fan of the RF binos at the same time. They suck for quick ranging when stalking but are amazing for saving weight. They also usually have different warranties than normal binos due to the electronic components.

Get a good chest rig if you don't already have one.

Comment

No I figure that my truck will get me 80% of the way for my camp.
                  Not if you want to hunt wilderness. I count the last 8+ miles as the 80% and the drive as the other 20% .

Comment

I started using Ultra light tipi/pyramid tents and never looked back. Light as a bivy and enough room inside as a 3-4 man tent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                      Not if you want to hunt wilderness. I count the last 8+ miles as the 80% and the drive as the other 20% .
                      I understand what your saying. My point was that I can use my vehicle to get close then it's hiking the remainder.

This isn't a spike camp type purchase. That's where I see the use for a lightweight tent. This is a base camp if my buddy and his trailer can't go or can't get it back to where we want to go.

Do y'all find that the ultralight teepee type or other hold up to the cold?

Comment

As long as you set it up properly and have a good sleeping bag I've had no problems with cold. I bring a light floor mat I sleep on and prop up to block extra wind. I've slept in mine in very strong winds at 20 deg or so and was fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well that's good to know. Started looking at them. Some of them are quite expensive but interesting.

Comment

Picked it up this morning and even talked the wife into hanging it over the fireplace.....for now. [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by unclefish; 01-28-2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                              Picked it up this morning and even talked the wife into hanging it over the fireplace.....for now. [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                              Looks Great!

Comment

Got mine above the fireplace too.

Comment

Working...
                                X