No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will carry a red kerchief to tie on horns for the carry out. Some people get excited when they see horns. I try to let them know someone is carrying this set!!!! I carry plastic bag for the backstrap and loins cause it whats for dinner tnite.

Comment

I will see what he thinks on the pack. With the Minox, what tripod do you have? Is the wind tough to deal with on the compact scope?

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
      I am using the Minox MD50 straight 16-30x50mm, can be found here:

The best one I have found for the money when trying to go lightweight.

The best forum is Kifaru's, you'll find other quality packs get listed on there as well:

I've got a friend who might have a Kifaru ZXR for sale, olive drab (green) in color for around $475 with two large pods included and standard lid, or $575 with standard lid and the XTL lid and the 2 large pods.

5200 cu inches under 7 lbs with a suspension that will handle 100 lbs.
      Let me know if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        I will see what he thinks on the pack. With the Minox, what tripod do you have? Is the wind tough to deal with on the compact scope?
        The smaller scope works better in the wind, I am currently using the Vortex Ridegview tripod, which is very stable but also very heavy. When I add the spotter and tripod up I'm getting an extra 5 lbs.

Looking to pick up a Slick 624 pro carbon fiber tripod here shortly, runs about $228 but there is a supply problem right now due to flooding at the factory.

Comment

Nice Waterbuck!!

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          Well I have a guided elk hunt in CO for next Sept already paid for! I guess I need to start working out a little to get in shape for the mtns. Last time I was up there it was no problem but that was about 5yrs ago and I am not getting any younger.

Bisch

Comment

That is awesome.

Originally posted by old killer View Post
            Both bulls back to back years from the same tree.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
              The smaller scope works better in the wind, I am currently using the Vortex Ridegview tripod, which is very stable but also very heavy. When I add the spotter and tripod up I'm getting an extra 5 lbs.

Looking to pick up a Slick 624 pro carbon fiber tripod here shortly, runs about $228 but there is a supply problem right now due to flooding at the factory.
              Awesome. Thanks! Will check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                Would regular ol long sleeve UA green shirts work? I've got several of them from the Marine Corps, figure I'd use them as base layer as long as it's not too cold.

And will the hiking pants you can find at REI work? Are they sturdy enough to stand up to the same abuse as the Russell APXG2 or Sitka gear?
                Anyone?

Comment

Yes! Don't have to buy the expensive stuff. Stay away from cotton and layer well. Just like in the military. Take it off when you ruck, add it when you stop to hunt/glass/sleep.

Met two locals two years ago. Hauling out a good 6x6. Wearing hoodies and Vietnam era fatigues. Something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                    Anyone?
                    The UA stuff will work great, I would recommend Cabelas microtex over some hiking pants.
                    The hiking pants from REI are usually nylon, which means very lightweight and noisy when around brush.

You can get through 5 days with only a couple pairs of pants, maybe even just one pair, so you don't have to be out a lot of money on pants.

Comment

Ok guys, need suggestions. Getting new boots, my Danners are toast. I am going to need them not only for elk this fall, but good Lord willing an Alaska hunt in 2013. Have always used lighter weight boots, but gonna need something waterproof. Kenetrek? Any other suggestions?

3D, you have got me thinking with that tipi. Is it hard to find a footprint big enough for you on the mountain? I have a tough time finding level spots big enough for a two man tent.

Comment

Ok guys, need suggestions. Getting new boots, my Danners are toast. I am going to need them not only for elk this fall, but good Lord willing an Alaska hunt in 2013. Have always used lighter weight boots, but gonna need something waterproof. Kenetrek? Any other suggestions?
                        What exactly are you looking for? No boots are really waterproof for very long unless you take care of them properly.

Kenetrek are good but just don't fit my right foot well. If you wear size 13 I'll sell you my Harscramble Lights. You can also find used Kenetreks on ebay. Kenetrek actually sells returns on there.

Lowa is my favorite and can be had from shoebuy for about $200 with the right coupon code.

Asolo Sasslongs are good boots too. They are my backups.

I have been hearing good things about Crispi as well. Guys that have bought ones off camofire have been real happy with them.

Comment

I have a narrow foot and a high arch. I usually wear 11-12 in shoe size. I need to check out the Lowas. I'm looking for something that will take a beating and not give it. I have looked at the proper way to maintain these boots. Lots of work, but will last forever if done properly. I'm headed to ATX in March. Will see if I can find any shops with several brands/models. Slim pickings here in Angelo.

Comment

3D, you have got me thinking with that tipi. Is it hard to find a footprint big enough for you on the mountain? I have a tough time finding level spots big enough for a two man tent.
                            Don't know, have not used one before. I guess we'll find out this year wont we!

I have used Meindl's and Lowa and feel both are great boots, but the key is to find what will work for your foot.
                            I have a high arch with a very wide front pad of my foot, so I have to use wides.
                            Those Asolo Sassalong's look good and were tempting, but I went with the Lowa Ranger's.

If anyone is looking for a Kifaru Longhunter:
                            Last edited by a3dhunter; 02-16-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Just looked up the Asolos and they look awesome. 700+ positive reviews also.

Comment

Just looked up the Asolos and they look awesome. 700+ positive reviews also.
                                I have the lowa hunters and the asolo sassalongs. They are both great boots. The lowas are heavier. I like to use them when it gets cold. I wear the sassalongs for everything.
                                If you ever get near an REI stop in and try some of the hiking boots on. They carry lowas.

Comment

Working...
                                X