No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually only take one trash bag, as a pack liner since I am using the carnivore meat bags. I also include 100' of paracord in the misc.

The two things I probably should include in pack weight is my digital camera and gps, they will be on the belt. While it is part of the pack, it doesn't carry as pack weight on your back if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
      I usually only take one trash bag, as a pack liner since I am using the carnivore meat bags. I also include 100' of paracord in the misc.

The two things I probably should include in pack weight is my digital camera and gps, they will be on the belt. While it is part of the pack, it doesn't carry as pack weight on your back if you know what I mean.
      I find a need for each game bag to have it's own garbage bag for packing and then placing in the ice chest. Probably don't need to carry all the bags but they are light.

Camera! yes I forgot. Yeah I carry my electronics on my person...Should probably list those out to to help others and keep each other honest.

On Person:
      - 10x42 Binos with harness
      - waterproof watch with alarm
      - Nikon Rifle hunter 550 with Nikon retractable tether
      - Garmin Legend Hcx GPS
      - pocketknife
      - bugle, cow calls, mouth calls
      - gloves
      - release
      - bow
      - cap
      - Gaiters
      - facemask
      - Sitka Ascent or Core 4 Element pants
      - Sitka Core zip-T or First Lite Merino Chama 1/4 zip shirt
      - Core 4 Element merino or Mothwing Peak Endurance boxers
      - Mothwing Peak Endurance short sleeve base layer
      - Smartwool or Lorpen merino socks
      - poly sock liners
      - Lowa Tibet boots

Comment

Originally posted by dtu11 View Post
        I just bought one of these pullovers from Academy. They were regularly $99 but %50 percent off.

It was really really light weight and going to try it out for my bowhunting trip to CO in mid Sept.

Columbia PHG Omni-Heat® - Thermal Comfort
        Omni-Heat® breakthrough thermal technology helps maintain warmth and prevent heat loss, keeping you comfortable in cold weather. Omni-Heat® ensures you stay warm and comfortable in the most extreme cold conditions.

The new gold standard in warmth. An expanded pattern of gold dots reflects more of your body heat delivering instant warmth without compromising breathability.

I wanted some Sitka gear but that stuff is really expensive. Going to give this a try. It's as light as the Sitka pullover.
        I think you are gonna bake in that shirt while hiking.

Here is an alternative for a good price. I got one recently and the quality seems pretty good for a $20 performance shirt. Heck at that price you can toss it after your Elk hunt and still have gotten your moneys' worth.
        Camofire brings you a new lineup of deals on hunting gear, camo and clothes everyday! Our hunting deals are typically 40-70% off retail.

They probably have some left over so just email Kendall (camofire guy)and if he has one in your size he'll sell it to you.

Find you some non-cotton pants too like below, Sitka Ascent or Russell APXG2.
        Camofire brings you a new lineup of deals on hunting gear, camo and clothes everyday! Our hunting deals are typically 40-70% off retail.

Assuming weather is not really bad 75% of your time, maybe more, will be in these 2 garments. Add a vest and it probably brings you up to 90%.

Believe me I understand tight budgets for first timers. If you want, let me know your budget and what you need and I'll help outfit you.

Comment

Would regular ol long sleeve UA green shirts work? I've got several of them from the Marine Corps, figure I'd use them as base layer as long as it's not too cold.

And will the hiking pants you can find at REI work? Are they sturdy enough to stand up to the same abuse as the Russell APXG2 or Sitka gear?

Comment

Here is my list I am using. Might have a few tweeks to do to it. I do not have the weights for each item. I did load every thing up and weigh it. I am getting right about the 46-47 lbs total weight.

Back pack trip gear list REV. 1.pdf

Comment

When you first start you hike out of camp you will want to be cool. It will not take long to warm up. Now once you get somewhere you want to set up and call that shirt you listed will be nice to slip on and keep warm. Keep it handy so you can get to it quickly.

As far as trash bags I like to carry two. One to cut open and lay on the ground to keep dirt off the meat. The other for a liner in the back pack. the game bags will help but the plastic barrier is extra nice.

Glenn

Comment

What optics/binos do ya'll carry? Mine are a little heavy, and I'd prefer something lighter to carry all day.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                  I think you are gonna bake in that shirt while hiking.

Here is an alternative for a good price. I got one recently and the quality seems pretty good for a $20 performance shirt. Heck at that price you can toss it after your Elk hunt and still have gotten your moneys' worth.

They probably have some left over so just email Kendall (camofire guy)and if he has one in your size he'll sell it to you.

Find you some non-cotton pants too like below, Sitka Ascent or Russell APXG2.

Assuming weather is not really bad 75% of your time, maybe more, will be in these 2 garments. Add a vest and it probably brings you up to 90%.

Believe me I understand tight budgets for first timers. If you want, let me know your budget and what you need and I'll help outfit you.
                  I've been hunting in NM at around 9k feet. This will be my first trip to CO and will be at 11k feet. I bought it to go over my lightweight shirt and pants for when it gets cold. It was also light and provides some warmth. I would agree that during the day that it get a little hot in this.

I thought about a vest but went with the pullover because of my arms getting cold.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                    I find a need for each game bag to have it's own garbage bag for packing and then placing in the ice chest. Probably don't need to carry all the bags but they are light.

Camera! yes I forgot. Yeah I carry my electronics on my person...Should probably list those out to to help others and keep each other honest.

On Person:
                    - 10x42 Binos with harness
                    - Nikon Rifle hunter 550 with Nikon retractable tether
                    - Garmin Legend Hcx GPS
                    - pocketknife
                    - gloves
                    - release
                    - bow
                    - cap
                    - Gaiters
                    - facemask
                    - Sitka Ascent or Core 4 Element pants
                    - Sitka Core zip-T or First Lite Merino Chama 1/4 zip shirt
                    - Core 4 Element merino or Mothwing Peak Endurance boxers
                    - Mothwing Peak Endurance short sleeve base layer
                    - Smartwool or Lorpen merino socks
                    - poly sock liners
                    - Lowa Tibet boots

For me there isn't too much different:

10x42 Binos with harness
                    - Bushnell ARC 1000 with Nikon retractable tether
                    - Garmin Etrex Hcx GPS
                    - pocketknife
                    - gloves
                    - release
                    - bow
                    - cap
                    - Gaiters
                    -- Sitka Ascent or Sitka 90% pants
                    - Sitka Core T or Gander Mountain T
                    - Core 4 Element merino boxers
                    - Russell short sleeve base layer
                    - Smartwool socks
                    - poly sock liners
                    - Lowa Ranger boots
                    I will add I am usually wearing my Sitka vest as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
                      What optics/binos do ya'll carry? Mine are a little heavy, and I'd prefer something lighter to carry all day.
                      Heavy is good in optics...
                      I'm using Vortex Razors 10x42 binos and have the Vortex Nomad spotting scope as well, but when packing a spotting scope have switched to the Minox MD 50 spotter which is lighter weight and smaller.

Comment

Both bulls back to back years from the same tree.
                        Last edited by old killer; 01-21-2013, 07:29 PM.

Comment

oldkiller, now that's just not right!

You've got the secret tree, now if I can figure out how to get the gps co-ordinates from the picture posting information I'll have it narrowed down.

Comment

Ha ha ha. Take all the fun out of running yourself ragged. Why not just find a good tree at a wallow or watering hole and hunt there? Lots of folks going that route and are way more successful that way. Two beautiful bulls.

3d, what model scope is your Minox? I also know you are the pack guru. Where can I find used gear? My buddy wants to upgrade. Looking for bombproof packs. MR or Kifaru or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                              Ha ha ha. Take all the fun out of running yourself ragged. Why not just find a good tree at a wallow or watering hole and hunt there? Lots of folks going that route and are way more successful that way. Two beautiful bulls.

3d, what model scope is your Minox? I also know you are the pack guru. Where can I find used gear? My buddy wants to upgrade. Looking for bombproof packs. MR or Kifaru or whatever.
                              I am using the Minox MD50 straight 16-30x50mm, can be found here:

The best one I have found for the money when trying to go lightweight.

The best forum is Kifaru's, you'll find other quality packs get listed on there as well:

I've got a friend who might have a Kifaru ZXR for sale, olive drab (green) in color for around $475 with two large pods included and standard lid, or $575 with standard lid and the XTL lid and the 2 large pods.

5200 cu inches under 7 lbs with a suspension that will handle 100 lbs.
                              Let me know if you're interested.

Comment

We made it !

Although our fundraiser post was not permitted here, others on this forum found our post elsewhere and participated.

Many many thanks to all those here who have helped make our fundraiser a great success. All 200 tickets have been sold. My next post here will be the name, city and state of the winner. The best of luck in the draw to all that participated in our fundraiser.

Yours in conservation, Robert Smith, N. Ky. Chapter #481 Quail Unlimited

Comment

Working...
                                X