No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE should be a lot closer than that if you are using the same units. I would say something like 30-50 ft is the norm for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
      It seems like the countdown timer is running way too slow the last few days. I'm all packed except for food. I've been dehydrating a little every night this week.

[ATTACH]805631[/ATTACH]
      You gonna leave your hunting partners behind this year??? Ha ha ha ha

Comment

I already have my Deer tag in hand. But I just bought my Elk tag online and will be eagerly awaiting its arrival. Its getting close boys and girls.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
          You gonna leave your hunting partners behind this year??? Ha ha ha ha
          We have a guy going this year who had no idea what he got himself into. I feel certain I will be leaving him behind once we get him squared away on where we are going. If you don't want to get left behind you need to be putting in the work to make sure it doesn't happen. There are some alpine areas I want to glass for deer too so I may have to go check those out by myself.

Comment

I just remember laughing my arse off reading your story. I feel you, these days are my super bowl, if you didn't train then be ready to get made fun of unmercifully and/or left.

Big boy rules in the mountains for sure. Won't have to worry about it this year though. Partner is in great shape.

With that said, I am going to truly focus this year on being very specific with my hunting/approach. No more wondering where or how the elk are going to react. I have spent the past couple years definitely learning the game, instead of just covering ground and making some noise. Thinking about the why and how. That's the plan anyway. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
              I just remember laughing my arse off reading your story. I feel you, these days are my super bowl, if you didn't train then be ready to get made fun of unmercifully and/or left.

Big boy rules in the mountains for sure. Won't have to worry about it this year though. Partner is in great shape.

With that said, I am going to truly focus this year on being very specific with my hunting/approach. No more wondering where or how the elk are going to react. I have spent the past couple years definitely learning the game, instead of just covering ground and making some noise. Thinking about the why and how. That's the plan anyway. Lol
              Sounds good. We are hoping that we have it more figured out this year too. Probably unlikely for us though!

Comment

The Elk Thread

We have a guy going this year who had no idea what he got himself into. I feel certain I will be leaving him behind once we get him squared away on where we are going. If you don't want to get left behind you need to be putting in the work to make sure it doesn't happen. There are some alpine areas I want to glass for deer too so I may have to go check those out by myself.

Didn't we run into you guys last year when we were glassing for elk on the back side of a mountain you guys came down on? If so...that guy had better be in dang good shape because I remember where you told me you where and what happened, you boys are true grit for sure.
                Last edited by rhendrix; 08-11-2016, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post

Its been awhile since I have posted. Something about work and raising two kids will eat up time.

Here is a bull I videoed a couple weeks ago. I would say he is on track to be a good un!!!!

Wish all the elk hunters good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's just a little dink, needs another year or two.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by scoutman View Post
                    Keep moleskin in your pack. Roll duct tape on a disposable lighter. If you feel a Hotspot (blister) coming on stop and cover with moleskin and tape. Blisters can ruin a hunt.

Honestly, leukotape-p is superior to mole skin and everything else. That stuff would've saved my hunt in 2014.
                    Last edited by rhendrix; 08-11-2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                      Didn't we run into you guys last year when we were glassing for elk on the back side of a mountain you guys came down on? If so...that guy had better be in dang good shape because I remember where you told me you where and what happened, you boys are true grit for sure.
                      Thats us. We went to the top and back several times that trip. You going to hunt with the recurve this year?!
                      Last edited by Felix40; 08-11-2016, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Just reading the posts from everyone about getting prepared for the hunt is enough to get me excited. It also doesn't help that my dad is in Ruidoso sending me pics of bulls outside the cabin we rented on a ski trip a few years ago. We leave Sept. 9 for southwest Colorado in hopes of arrowing one. Good luck to all.

Comment

Thats us. We went to the top and back several times that trip. You going to hunt with the recurve this year?!

I'll be north of you guys hunting mulies this year, but I'm seriously considering giving myself a year to get fairly good and go after elk next year with one. There's just something about shooting a recurve that's immensely satisfying man. I thought you were nuts then. I get it now though.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                            I'll be north of you guys hunting mulies this year, but I'm seriously considering giving myself a year to get fairly good and go after elk next year with one. There's just something about shooting a recurve that's immensely satisfying man. I thought you were nuts then. I get it now though.
                            Good luck. We are going to another unit with fewer Amish this year too. Theres nothing like a traditional bow to make you appreciate killing any animal. Good luck to you. I drew my deer tag this year too.

Comment

Got to check leauko-tape out, never heard of it.

Comment

I reinjured a back injury about a month ago. Back is better but my sciatic nerve is giving me fits now. Been exercising it and stretching it through exercise but it's a stubborn thing. Got a injection scheduled next Thursday, hope it helps. If not it's gonna be a interesting 2 weeks in Colorado but haven't missed a year in last 10 so not gonna start now. So a elk hunter's motto may be, if it doesn't suck we don't do it, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X