The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
    What are you hunting in Alaska? Dall Sheep is my dream hunt!
    Looks like a drop camp moose or bou hunt. Interested???

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
      Looks like a drop camp moose or bou hunt. Interested???
      Archery Caribou would be fun. For some reason Moose just does not do it for me. I've got too many critters on my short list here in the states for AK just yet. I do put in for Dall raffles though.

Do you have an estimate for the drop camp and transport up there?

Comment

Working on it. Started a thread on AK hunt couple of days ago.

Comment

I added up all the weight of what I need for 5 day plus backcountry hunt after measuring everything, without food my base weight is coming in at 35 lbs, Includes pack, full 3L water bladder, tipi tent shelter, clothing, 1st aid, knives, game bags, stove, etc...only thing I would add is food.
          If it's an early Sept hunt I can leave out one jacket and drop it to 32.4 lbs plus food.

Comment

3d, what tipi tent do you use? Kifaru? Mind sharing why you use that system? Want to see if there I a better way to skin a cat.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
              I added up all the weight of what I need for 5 day plus backcountry hunt after measuring everything, without food my base weight is coming in at 35 lbs, Includes pack, full 3L water bladder, tipi tent shelter, clothing, 1st aid, knives, game bags, stove, etc...only thing I would add is food.
              If it's an early Sept hunt I can leave out one jacket and drop it to 32.4 lbs plus food.
              Do you have a list you would mind posting or pm me? I have been making a list from a bunch of other lists. Each time I see a new list I learn of a new piece of gear or something I didnt think about.

Comment

Originally posted by reedjj View Post
                Do you have a list you would mind posting or pm me? I have been making a list from a bunch of other lists. Each time I see a new list I learn of a new piece of gear or something I didnt think about.
                I'll try to remember to post mine tonight my list is at home...I'd like a critique on anything I'm forgetting.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                  3d, what tipi tent do you use? Kifaru? Mind sharing why you use that system? Want to see if there I a better way to skin a cat.
                  I went with the GoLite 5 man from ProLite gear, made with heavier material than normal. 3.5 lbs total

Originally posted by reedjj View Post
                  I have it at home, I'll try to post up tonight

Comment

Everyrthing in the pack counting food water and a seperate 1000 cu in pack to hunt out of I am ALL IN AT 44#s. For water using 3L bladder and an extra bottle, that I want to say is about 30oz.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by G Posik View Post
                      Everyrthing in the pack counting food water and a seperate 1000 cu in pack to hunt out of I am ALL IN AT 44#s. For water using 3L bladder and an extra bottle, that I want to say is about 30oz.

Glenn
                      Water is the heaviest thing in the pack for me. The 3 liter Source hydration bladder full measures 97 oz.

Comment

The 30oz is the size of the extra bottle I carry for extra water in camp. I did not weigh the bladder full
                        Last edited by G Posik; 02-14-2012, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I just bought one of these pullovers from Academy. They were regularly $99 but %50 percent off.

It was really really light weight and going to try it out for my bowhunting trip to CO in mid Sept.

Columbia PHG Omni-Heat® - Thermal Comfort
                          Omni-Heat® breakthrough thermal technology helps maintain warmth and prevent heat loss, keeping you comfortable in cold weather. Omni-Heat® ensures you stay warm and comfortable in the most extreme cold conditions.

The new gold standard in warmth. An expanded pattern of gold dots reflects more of your body heat delivering instant warmth without compromising breathability.

I wanted some Sitka gear but that stuff is really expensive. Going to give this a try. It's as light as the Sitka pullover.
                          Last edited by dtu11; 02-14-2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

My pack list:

All weights in ounces:
                            Timberline w XTL lid and 2 belt pouches 112
                            3 Liter Source Hydration bladder filled 103
                            Go Lite 5 man tipi 56
                            Big Agnes Encampment Long sl. bag 57
                            B.A. insulated air core pad 27
                            Jetboil Sip with 1 fuel canister 20
                            Water purification- tablets 1
                            Princeton TEC Remix headlamp 3
                            1st aid kit,meds, etc 5
                            Havalon Piranta 3
                            Cabelas crosslock 4
                            Gerber multi-tool 5
                            matches/lighters/firestarter,3 allen wrenches, misc. 7
                            carnivore game bags 14
                            eye glasses and contacts/case/saline sol. 4
                            3 stuff sacks 3
                            tiolet paper and wipes 2

Total base pack weight 424

Extra Clothing:

Russell windproof fleece jacket 30
                            Russell RainTamer jacket 42
                            Sitka traverse top 13
                            socks/underwear 14
                            Misc. extras (spare headlamp,batteries, etc) 35

Total weight 560 ounces = 35 lbs

I did not include what I will be wearing on me,or have in my pockets because it is not pack weight.
                            I know there will be a few things added, thus the 35 oz misc, that's 2lbs 3 oz of extras.

Comment

Dtu, might want to check out used or older model Sitka gear. Can usually get it for a good price. Camofire.com is a good resource as well.

Originally posted by dtu11 View Post
                              I just bought one of these pullovers from Academy. They were regularly $99 but %50 percent off.

It was really really light weight and going to try it out for my bowhunting trip to CO in mid Sept.

Columbia PHG Omni-Heat® - Thermal Comfort
                              Omni-Heat® breakthrough thermal technology helps maintain warmth and prevent heat loss, keeping you comfortable in cold weather. Omni-Heat® ensures you stay warm and comfortable in the most extreme cold conditions.

The new gold standard in warmth. An expanded pattern of gold dots reflects more of your body heat delivering instant warmth without compromising breathability.

I wanted some Sitka gear but that stuff is really expensive. Going to give this a try. It's as light as the Sitka pullover.

Comment

Good list 3D! Trash bags(for meat) and rope but you'll be covered in the misc weight. You helped me...I had forgotten headlamp and extra batteries.

Here is my list.
                                Pack items with weight in ounces
                                - Kuiu Icon 6000 88
                                - Big Agnes Yellow Wall Long 56
                                - Big Agnes Insulated Air Core 23
                                - Sierra Design Vapor Light 2 XL 65
                                - Katadyn Hiker Pro Filter 11
                                - Katadyn Water Tablets 1
                                - Primus Eta Solo Stove 13
                                - 3L Platypus water Bladder and tube 6
                                - Marmot Precip jacket and pants 30
                                - Sitka Celsuis Vest 22
                                - Merino Wool socks Med weight 6
                                - Beanie 3
                                - Warm Gloves 4
                                - Merino Wool boxers 5
                                - Merino Wool Baselayer Bottoms 10
                                - Primaloft Jacket 16
                                - Maps 3
                                - Princeton Tec Remix 3
                                - Havalon Piranta with extra blades 4
                                - Alaska Game bags 8
                                - First Aid and meds with lots of Advil 4
                                - 4 Heavy duty Garbage bags 5
                                - Rag/soap/wipes 8
                                - Lighter(s) 3
                                - Fire Starter 2
                                - 550 paracord 50ft 6
                                - Extra batteries 5

Total 413 ounces

Consumables
                                3 liters water 105
                                Food/snacks (estimated at 25 ounces/day for 7 days)= 175

Total 280 ounces

Grand Total=693 ounces= 43.4 pounds
                                Should probably add a little buffer so let's call it 45 even.

Comment

Working...
                                X