No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tick tock. These next three weeks are going to drag so dang slow. This is the most anticipated elk hunt of my life with the most preparation work put in. Anyone start packing yet? Haha

Comment

Been packed since June, leave the 24th headed to Colorado

Comment

Originally posted by scoutman View Post
        Been packed since June, leave the 24th headed to Colorado
        Dang you've got me by a week. Think you'll have to unpack to just make sure you didn't forget anything?

Comment

Packed 4 times trying to cut weight...then bought a kifaru stove... Lol

Comment

I'm sure I'll double check something,lol

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
              Packed 4 times trying to cut weight...then bought a kifaru stove... Lol
              Lol, I'm looking into a lightweight insulated jacked (First Lite Puffy) because it was in the 40's when we were scouting in July. Going to be a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                I definitely don't have super high expectations, but I do have big dreams, and backing that up with a strong drive to get some opportunity on this trip. Appreciate the great information.

As far as not finding Elk sign and moving to a new area. I have a good size area I have narrowed in on, several different specific areas within that, a few miles away from each other, but all within same altitude range. Lets say I hit the first area and don't see any fresh sign and no elk. Are you talking moving 2 miles, 5 miles, or 30 miles away to a new area to try to find them?

Area I am scanning looks to have an altitude from 8K to 10K, lots of streams.
                Take some corn starch with you. It is cheap, a sprinkle in the boots can help keep the blisters down. If you blister or chafe in a tender area it works well there, it keeps the friction to a minimum. It was used before baby powder came out.

Comment

Keep moleskin in your pack. Roll duct tape on a disposable lighter. If you feel a Hotspot (blister) coming on stop and cover with moleskin and tape. Blisters can ruin a hunt.

Comment

21 days.....bring it on!

Comment

Its been awhile since I have posted. Something about work and raising two kids will eat up time.

Here is a bull I videoed a couple weeks ago. I would say he is on track to be a good un!!!!

Wish all the elk hunters good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This last page has been rely good for me. I'm getting worked up trying to make sure I have everything. This reminds me to take it back to basics. Thanks guys

On another side note for those looking at making maps. Colorado hunting atlas has the ability to produce some good maps with aerials and topo. I printed off my hunting locations with one aerial and one topo. I'm going to laminate them into an 8.5 x 11 sheet

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post

Its been awhile since I have posted. Something about work and raising two kids will eat up time.

Here is a bull I videoed a couple weeks ago. I would say he is on track to be a good un!!!!

Wish all the elk hunters good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I would say i agree with you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

It seems like the countdown timer is running way too slow the last few days. I'm all packed except for food. I've been dehydrating a little every night this week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	24456294

Comment

Just curious if others have realized the same discrepancies between their hand held GPS and the Google Earth GPS Coordinates. When I enter my "boots on the ground" GPS unit coordinates into Google earth they are off by as much as 300 feet. I can find the exact tree but the coordinates are quite different. Has anyone encountered this in the "boots on ground " scouting vs the "Google Earth" scouting?

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
                                Just curious if others have realized the same discrepancies between their hand held GPS and the Google Earth GPS Coordinates. When I enter my "boots on the ground" GPS unit coordinates into Google earth they are off by as much as 300 feet. I can find the exact tree but the coordinates are quite different. Has anyone encountered this in the "boots on ground " scouting vs the "Google Earth" scouting?
                                Yes I have encountered it every time I go out. I try to compare ridge lines and attempt to have gps and google zoomed out to approximately same distance and then can usually get really close just dropping a pin on my gps.

Comment

Working...
                                X