Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who are more familiar with how an elk will 'finish out', what are your thoughts on this bull? Date is correct on photo. Also, when would one expect a TX elk to go hard horned?
    Attached Files

Comment

He has the start of some nice trash. He looks young, may make a 6 point. In the mountains they are usually rubbed out by mid August or earlier. Spikes and some raghorns may not lose their velvet.

Comment

Go bigger! Ask me how I know, not that much more for way more usable space.

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
        So quick question for you folks. Looking at getting a chest freezer this year since I am going to be to far away from being able to bum freezers off of friends and family.

How big should I look into for holding a bull and possibly 1-2 deer? I am thinking a 7 cu ft should hold an elk just fine and if I give away a good chunk of it like I plan on doing may be able to squeeze a deer or 2 in with it.

Thoughts? Is it worth it trying to make a smaller one work or just pony up and get a 10 cu ft?

Comment

ACook and I just got back from checking cameras in the Gila. What's everyone's thought about the last bull? What will he score?
          Attached Files

Comment

31 days until I hit the road for Colorado!!

Comment

Rube...I don't know what he will score but he sure will look good on my wall!

Comment

Bottom bull 300-310. Fronts hurt him but he could add a bunch in next 15-20 days

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                  Bottom bull 300-310. Fronts hurt him but he could add a bunch in next 15-20 days
                  Not the first person that said that. I sure wish his bottoms matched his tops.

Comment

Well, I had the opportunity to go to Idaho this year with my brother. He's going mid September for a week and a half DIY elk, bear, deer hunt. I really want to go, but just can't make it this year. We will be going for a few weeks next year 100% for sure. I've never been so excited about a hunt.

Comment

A mature bull like the one in that last pic will roughly have a base score of ~200" for his main beams (50" per side), spread (40"), and mass (30" per side). He is definitely in that category.....long main beams, spread looks good from that angle, and he has good mass.

From there you just start plugging in his tine length. His fronts are somewhat weak but not terrible...10-12". The 3rds are usually the weakest link on a good bull and his are about normal 8-10". His fourths are great from what I can tell from that pic....18". Hard to tell on his 5th's but they don't look bad....8-10".

So I have him at 308-324. His beams may be longer than 50". Awesome frame on him!

Comment

unclefish...good input. I just hope I get a chance to see him during the hunt.

Comment

I'm heading to 17 this weekend for a little mule deer scouting.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                            I'm heading to 17 this weekend for a little mule deer scouting.
                            I need to get my butt out to 31 and do some mule deer scouting myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ACook View Post
                              I need to get my butt out to 31 and do some mule deer scouting myself.
                              I'm in 31 now. You don't want to be here. Day 24 of >100degrees.

Comment

headed to Montana the first part of Sept for a back pack hunt. Could use a check list for gear to take if someone has one they use. Just do not want to forget something since we will be in the mountains for 2 weeks. This is the first time packing in to hunt so I am excited for the experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X