No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supertrooper, that is a wonderful gesture! You are what makes this site great!

Comment

Yeah, I will see what I can donate.

Comment

Dang, no one wants a free elk bugle?

Comment

Supertrooper, I'll take the bugle from you, I've been watching guys bugling on archery talk. Seems like a fine art.

Comment

Missed that one. Got some primos mouth calls in the other day, before I was enlighted about the others. Is there a good youtube on using these you would recomend?

Comment

Reminder for anyone interested - AZ Elk tag draw entry deadline tomorrow 2/14/2012 at 7PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder! In about a decade I hope to actually be able to hunt AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                  Thanks for the reminder! In about a decade I hope to actually be able to hunt AZ.
                  I hear ya but you never know. A buddy of mine drew a rifle tag last year first time around.

Comment

As soon as I saw "successful" I would have ran out and bought a lottery ticket too! You are right though, have to play to win.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                      Supertrooper, I'll take the bugle from you, I've been watching guys bugling on archery talk. Seems like a fine art.
                      You got it bud. Just PM your address and ill send it your way. One of these days you can tell me you called in your first bull using that call.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                        I don't have any other KUIU stuff but I am eyeballing the Spindrift Primaloft jacket for a packable layer. If I were getting KUIU stuff I would get a 185 top and definitely the attack pants in addition to the spindfrift. I am not a fan of the regular jackets for backpack hunts as I feel they are too heavy and bulky for use in Sept. I also think the vest Kuiu has is a little thin to really provide much warmth. I am a big fan of vests and would look at a Sitka Celsius or Kelvin before the Kuiu.
                        I was in Cablea's on Sat and they had their Teewinot packable Primaloft jackets on sale. This jacket is comprable to a KUIU spindrift or a Patagonia Micro puff. It is filled with with 100g of Primaloft One (same fill as KUIU, and Patagonia). Note the Sitka Kelvin uses Primaloft sport which has about 24% less weight/warmth as Primaloft One. I wanted a warm packable layer for use on my western hunts and was confident I was going to get the KUIU Spindrift. The jacket was listed on sale for $65 but rang up as $50 so double score!

I would say it weighs about a pound(XXL-Tall) and I can compress it to about the size of a cabbage ball, maybe smaller with a compression sack. I thought about Down but was scared about the possible "wet" factor. This jacket, nor the others mentioned are really made as a true outer layers and the outer material will not stand up to serious abrasion. It will be perfect for morning and evening chill, under an outter layer or to take nap during those mid day Elk lulls. Can also wear in sleeping bag to increase the bags temp range. I will also use it stand hunting whitetails under a soft shell jacket next NOV.

I did a bunch of research and comparison between Synthetics and Down. Primaloft One has the most loft and warmth/weight of any of the synthetics and equates to about 625 Loft Down. High quality Down is still superior to any synthetic but unlike synthetic looses almost all it's insulating power when wet. Primaloft One retains 96% of it's warmth when wet. 800 Loft down will be about 70% superior to Primaloft One in warmth/weight and pack down smaller than Primaloft...if you can get past the wet factor down is a good choice.

I did hear Sitka is coming out with a Kelvin light this year which I suspect will use Primaloft One and be lighter and more packable. I also suspect KUIU will come out with a Vest version of their Spindrift.

Comment

This thread, and elk hunting in general is driving me nuts!

I am reading Cameron Haynes 'Backcountry Bowhunter' at night before I go to bed and I am laying in bed literally dreaming of being back in elk country.

Lord willing, I am running a Marathon in April and I am lift about 4 days a week so I will be as prepared physically as I can be if God grants me health.

Comment

Thanks amigo!!! Daddy is getting his own valentine gift this year! Looks like I am doing Alaska in 13 or 14, so I better get the synthetics.

For some others, I bought my wife the down packable jacket last year from Patagonia. Awesome stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                              Thanks amigo!!! Daddy is getting his own valentine gift this year! Looks like I am doing Alaska in 13 or 14, so I better get the synthetics.
                              What are you hunting in Alaska? Dall Sheep is my dream hunt!

Comment

I just put in for Arizona. As a reminder, the deadline for Arizona is today. I'm also putting in for NM, and will buy a landowner tag if all else fails.

There's nothing like elk hunting!

Comment

Working...
                                X