No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I applied for my CO archery bull tag. Got drawn last year and killed a spike. I'll get to go back next year if I'm lucky but usually takes 3 draws in this unit

Comment

Talked to a Colorado buddy...he was bummed Im not going to chase elk this fall..he understood. Two of the hunters from camp last year are going on $3800 guided cow hunts. We visited about units and he was all...."This unit had these percentages during this season and this other unit these percentages"...so on so forth.

I said "Whuh?"..."Screw percentages"..."Get in the grub before too many critters get killed."

Comment

Was going threw some trail cam pics off a water hole from last year and looking at all the bulls wondering which ones all survived the season last year and got myself all pumped up again for the coming year really thinking i can get it done with enough time and better prep work before season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
          Congrats but I am confused? Their app deadline isn't for another few weeks.

Now that you hunt elk you MUST join the RMEF. It is law.

Is it rifle, archery or muzzleloader?

You are in for some tasty meat! Elk Spaghetti, elk hamburger steak smothered in onions, elk peppercorn crusted steak, elk roast, elk cutlet fajitas, elk stuffed bell peppers are my favorite recipes!
          I bought a unit wide landowner tag. Non residents can't even apply for cow tags unfortunately...

I will be hunting with a rifle, no way am I good enough with a bow yet....

And yeah I am going to join the RMEF. They do great work!

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
            They have some weird rules regarding what is allowed on your muzzleloader what bullets powders etc... during that season so be sure to not just grab one that is legal in Texas and verify your legal before you go just as an fyi
            You're not kidding about the rules.
            Think I got a handle on them though.

Comment

Don't get all that many emails from the NM game and fish all year. Now that it is getting closer to lotto results they send two to three emails a day. SMDH

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                Don't get all that many emails from the NM game and fish all year. Now that it is getting closer to lotto results they send two to three emails a day. SMDH
                Lol I was thinking the same thing. It is annoying!

Comment

Arizona portal is finally up. Headed to 5BS for my archery elk hunt. Pumped is an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                    Arizona portal is finally up. Headed to 5BS for my archery elk hunt. Pumped is an understatement.
                    Congrats! Good luck!

Comment

Sweet!!! Are you Mark's buddy from LBK??? If so, sounds like one heck of a hunt coming up and seeing some of those pics from previous hunts makes me just a tad jealous! ha

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                        Sweet!!! Are you Mark's buddy from LBK??? If so, sounds like one heck of a hunt coming up and seeing some of those pics from previous hunts makes me just a tad jealous! ha

Indeed! It's gonna be a great hunt. Spoke with the outfitter this morning and should have my deposit in the mail with the contract this afternoon. Poor guy said that folks started calling him at 4 am this morning to try and book. Glad we had our places reserved.

Comment

I want to congratulate you with out expressing my jealousy of you

Hell of a tag! Congrats.

Comment

Woo hoo! Nice draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                              In NM, legally your outfitter has to to with you at least two days. If you get caught pulling this crap your in for a big ticket and/or loosing draw privileges.
                              A few years ago your tag was invalid if you were hunting while not with your outfitter. As a guide I will spend two days and one night in a camp.

Comment

Has anyone hunted Roosevelt elk successfully??? Going back to Idaho this year, but already curious about out north west. Read some old Glenn St Charles stories and want to try the thick stuff after huge bodied critters.

Comment

Working...
                                X