No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 6'2" so don't have quite as big of a problem.

I guess I am just getting to a point where I want to simplify everything in my hunting gear. Less moving parts the better for me right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
      I'm 6'2" so don't have quite as big of a problem.

I guess I am just getting to a point where I want to simplify everything in my hunting gear. Less moving parts the better for me right now.
      at 6'2" you should have the same type issues I do or maybe I'm just ultra sensitive.

What tent or shelter do you use?

Comment

Big Agnes, Therma rest self inflatable and an 800 fill 15 degree bag super tall from Kelty.

Comment

The tent is a two man.

Comment

Maybe this old bull will be in the same drainage again...maybe. C'mon September!
            Attached Files

Comment

Which drainage is that BlackDog? :-o

Comment

Originally posted by Black Dog View Post
                Maybe this old bull will be in the same drainage again...maybe. C'mon September!
                Looks later than Sept to me. Hope you find him this year...longbow to boot. That Badlands 2200 is a **** fine pack!

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                  Good idea...renting gear!

If time is not a factor for you I would advise driving. You are gonna need to stop and rest a few hours for a 17-18 hour drive. The drive up is not nearly a brutal as the drive back. The fly in and vehicle rent can be done but I think for a first timer you've got too many kinks to work out to have to add worrying about your gear getting screwed up and possibly lost on a plane. Get your head around the drive...rent or download a couple books on CD and you'll be fine. It gives you a lot of time to practice your calling too. Having a partner is the best thing....I say that but my partners are on the east coast so I am looking at 14 hours to WY or about the same to CO from McKinney alone. Heck if I draw NV archery Mule Deer I'll be looking at 22 hours each way.

If I end up going to CO OTC maybe we can synch up. PM me about your unit selection....I have some CO data you may be interested in seeing.
                  PM inbound in a few.

Comment

Black Dog, great pics? What is your bow/arrow/head combo? I'm doing trad this year and have been plain eat up with it!

Comment

Black Dog, those pictures are AWESOME!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                        Which drainage is that BlackDog? :-o
                        Ahem...classified. OTC unit in southern CO though.

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                        Looks later than Sept to me. Hope you find him this year...longbow to boot. That Badlands 2200 is a **** fine pack!
                        Late Sept., just snowed about 8" one day. Yes on the 2200, can carry that pack all day!

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                        Black Dog, great pics? What is your bow/arrow/head combo? I'm doing trad this year and have been plain eat up with it!
                        60# Silvertip recurve, ICS 400, 100gr brass inserts, STOS broadhead

Comment

Ah Silvertips. Awesome looking bows designed by a man among men when it came to hunting.

Some light reading for some elk hunters.

Comment

Didn't see anyone post this but the CO 2012 hunting Regs are available online

Comment

Thanks Dr, I'm sure this will help a lot of folks get their plans in place.

Comment

For any of you guys that are trying to get some gear together for your first elk hunts I have a bugle I will send you for FREE! It is the Primos back pack style bugle and I have several exra reeds I will send as well. Perfect for back country hunts. It is very small and extends to make it longer. Well that last sentence didn't sound right but that is the best way I can explain it.

I have a million calls and for some reason just don't use this one. It would be a great call to start with. Whoever claims it first can have it.

I will also see if I have any other spare gear I can part with to help some of you guys get started. Also maybe some others can offer up some gear they can spare.

But remember like many have said if you have never elk hunted and you start it will be like a life long crack addiction. So be ready!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X