No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pulled a Forest Gump and hit the ground running this morning with my $9 blaze orange hoodie. I wanted to step with my exo pack and 50lbs of corn but the ground felt good and I couldnt stop. Here elky elky elky!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
      Man, folks that can sit stands on water are way tougher mentally than me!!! I know that it can be THE absolute best way to kill elk for many many reasons, but I just can't quit that run and gun and screaming bulls. Ever since I was 22 and had a big boy shaking a juniper at 30 yards and then scream at us, that is when I lost it all. I thought about doing some early scouting this year and actually hanging a set for opener in CO and then going last week of Sept in Idaho. We shall see what the time says.
      Yeah, I'd really like to do the run and gun, but when/where we go, the elk numbers are not huge and they haven't even thought about bugleing yet.

Comment

I've got a buddy in Montana running elk and mule deer hunts on private land if anyone is looking for a hunt. I told him I would pass the word along.

Comment

Man, folks that can sit stands on water are way tougher mentally than me!!! I know that it can be THE absolute best way to kill elk for many many reasons, but I just can't quit that run and gun and screaming bulls. Ever since I was 22 and had a big boy shaking a juniper at 30 yards and then scream at us, that is when I lost it all. I thought about doing some early scouting this year and actually hanging a set for opener in CO and then going last week of Sept in Idaho. We shall see what the time says.
          Give it a few years and a few surgeries and your patients may grow.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
            Give it a few years and a few surgeries and your patients may grow.
            Yes sir! No doubt about it, figure tree stands and campers in the mountains will be just as good as long as I'm in the mountains in Sept.

Comment

That's me. If I can draw a tag and get to the mountains, I'm good with someone taking down my elk meat. The unit I prefer changed from one season to two. I only stay 3 weeks now instead of 5.

Comment

My youngest brother moved up to Boise. He is going to start trying to learn the elk hunting scene there ASAP. Hopefully it won't be to hard for me to join him as a non resident.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                  My youngest brother moved up to Boise. He is going to start trying to learn the elk hunting scene there ASAP. Hopefully it won't be to hard for me to join him as a non resident.

Tell him to stay away from the crowds as that's what your going to find near Boise.

Comment

Going to CO for my 1st elk hunt in October. Saying I'm stoked would be an understatement!!

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
                      Going to CO for my 1st elk hunt in October. Saying I'm stoked would be an understatement!!

It gets in your blood

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                        It gets in your blood

That it does. I can't decide if I like elk hunting or mule deer hunting more. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
                          Where are you headed?

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                            and try not to pee yourself at every strange noise you hear that's outside the beams of your head lamp.
                            Easier said than done! LOL I carry spray and a pistol. Sometimes the wind is blowing and I don't want the spray in my face.

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                            We did in Montana a few years ago. We carried bear spray. Be extremely careful carrying it tho, I met a guy that had just gotten out of the ER because he accidentally sprayed himself in the face with it.
                            We have met a guy that sprayed his pant leg up high near the crotch. Said it burned pretty bad. We have already thought that in the early afternoon when the wind is blowing we shouldn't use it.

We like chasing bugles too but we have found where we hunt that they come to water pretty dependably in the afternoon and don't bugle much until after dark. I've had elk, mule deer and a grizzly come into a wallow/water hole!

Has anyone hunted any of the OTC Colorado rifle hunts in November??? A buddy wants to go this year, and I have never hunted elk that late. Just curious on thoughts? Experiences, besides quiet elk and cold weather.
                            I shot my first elk, a cow, in Routt National forest in November 2000. We were blessed with a good early snow that year and pushed the elk outta the high country. She was in a big group of cows and I tracked them through the snow until I walked around a ridge and there they were.

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                            That it does. I can't decide if I like elk hunting or mule deer hunting more. Lol.
                            Mule deer seem dumb to me. That said I do want a big mulie buck. I love those big forked antlers. This year I am planning on going back to Montana with a rifle to fill my mulie tag instead of letting it waste.

Comment

I haven't read the entire thread, but looking at putting in this year with a coworker. he hunts unit 55. anyone been there, have pics ect. This will be my first time elk hunting. have to do it with the traditional smoke pole as he only does muzzleloader. Been watching several videos on youtube cant wait, hopefully I can get a draw for a bull but banking on a cow. doesn't matter to me since it'll only cost me $60 to enter the draw

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
                                Where are you headed?
                                Unit 80/81. Little spot on the map called Jasper, Co

Comment

Working...
                                X