No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the feedback gents, when you guys were scouting on maps, what'd you guys look for specifically to help you narrow down on elk habitat that was just a couple miles from a trail?

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
      Just Higgins and health cert. we never were checked anywhere.
      Thank you!

The backpacking stories are extremely motivating...I am in awe really...packing several hundred pounds of meat several miles doesnt sound fun...but painstakingly awesome!

rhendrix...I read it somewhere in an old hunting book, that you can watch a deer game trail close to water and expect to see deer 2 times a day...with elk 1 time on an elk trail. But Im a rookie and mountains read different than books.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 02-03-2016, 12:42 AM. Reason: Elkspake

Comment

From experience... Packing meat out on an animal that has never been used to pack meat.... Can be an interesting adventure. Becareful

Comment

Anyone putting in for the AZ draw this year? Deadline is the 6th.

My brother and his family moved to AZ about 2 years ago. We entered last year, and he drew a mulie tag. Spent 7 days hunting with him, went home empty, but we had a great time nonetheless. It was our first experience entering any draws out west, and know we got lucky. Hoping for some more this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
            From experience... Packing meat out on an animal that has never been used to pack meat.... Can be an interesting adventure. Becareful
            Yes it can be, i usually pack a colt heavy going up and ride him every other day when on top. Usually the trip down he's as gentle as a baby.

Comment

Anyone going to GMU 54 in Colorado next year and need someone to come with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Hardcortex View Post
                Anyone putting in for the AZ draw this year? Deadline is the 6th.

My brother and his family moved to AZ about 2 years ago. We entered last year, and he drew a mulie tag. Spent 7 days hunting with him, went home empty, but we had a great time nonetheless. It was our first experience entering any draws out west, and know we got lucky. Hoping for some more this year!

The 6th like tomorrow the 6th? Or March 6th ?

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                  The 6th like tomorrow the 6th? Or March 6th ?

Comment

Ok the 9th then

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                      Anyone going to GMU 54 in Colorado next year and need someone to come with them?
                      OTC tag?
                      Last edited by Jspradley; 02-05-2016, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                        OTC tag?

Yep

Comment

I don't think 54 is otc for archery elk but I'm probably wrong.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by DarkHorse View Post
                            I don't think 54 is otc for archery elk but I'm probably wrong.

Crap, I forgot that they changed it to a draw unit. That changes my plans.

Just checked the draw odds, you can draw it with a first choice, but I'd burn my elk point. I'd rather just hunt an OTC tag in 78 and build my points.
                            Last edited by rhendrix; 02-05-2016, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that's what makes it so appealing to me for archery mule deer.

Comment

The Elk Thread

If you draw that tag, I'm gonna be jealous, I'm still not sure if I want to put in it for it, if I don't draw I've put all my eggs in one basket and I'm screwed. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X