The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
    Man I'm not sure yet. I can't make up my mind. 34 as my 1st choice mainly because it is 2 1/2 hours from my house and I could hunt a couple days and then come home and work a couple of days. Then I could go back up and hunt till the end of the season.

Going to start putting in for pref points in other states this year as well. If it all fails might buy a landowner tag in NM or OTC in CO. Either way I will be in elk country. I might not see any but I'll be there.

You have a gameplan together?
    Good deal. 34 is an awesome unit from what I hear. Lots of good bulls.

We are going back to same ranch again this year. We almost had an opening this year but my brother decided to go one more year. We know the ranch well and its got alot of elk (big bulls too) but they can be pushed off the place if you get clumsy.

PM coming your way about something related.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
      Ok, so I've figured out what I'm gonna do about gear (planning on renting)...now I need to figure out the rest of the details for this trip...

Trying to factor in the cost of gas and I'm looking at spending roughly 500 to 600 bucks in gas if I drive all the way from Houston to Denver, then Holy Cross National Forest. Plane tickets through Southwest for a roundtrip ticket are around 350ish, once I factor in the cost of a car rental it's going to cost me the same, the only think I'm really saving is 35 hours of driving, which is going to suck if I'm doing by myself...so my question is, if you fly up there and rent a car, what other associated costs are looking at in order to have your meat and/or horns sent back to your home?

I'm leaning towards driving, that way I have a truck to pack everything into and if Lord willing I get an elk down I'll already have coolers and the whole nine so processing won't be a pain. That 35 hours of driving is just killing me though...
      Good idea...renting gear!

If time is not a factor for you I would advise driving. You are gonna need to stop and rest a few hours for a 17-18 hour drive. The drive up is not nearly a brutal as the drive back. The fly in and vehicle rent can be done but I think for a first timer you've got too many kinks to work out to have to add worrying about your gear getting screwed up and possibly lost on a plane. Get your head around the drive...rent or download a couple books on CD and you'll be fine. It gives you a lot of time to practice your calling too. Having a partner is the best thing....I say that but my partners are on the east coast so I am looking at 14 hours to WY or about the same to CO from McKinney alone. Heck if I draw NV archery Mule Deer I'll be looking at 22 hours each way.

If I end up going to CO OTC maybe we can synch up. PM me about your unit selection....I have some CO data you may be interested in seeing.

Comment

All this elk talk has me pumped already and it's only February. Come on Sept.
        Could be your year for archery antelope as well...By my calculations there will about 10 more tags int he resident pool this year which should up your odds to better than 1 in 5...my odds will be going way down.

Comment

You guys coming from south Texas, what route are you taking on the way up from Amarillo?

If heading to Denver, much better to go through Dumas, then Lamar.

If headed to southern Colorado, through Dalhart and Raton but make sure you watch for troopers from Clayton to Raton. I learned the hard way.
          I made the trip up and back 4 times during archery season last year, only a 4 hour drive to get where I was hunting in unit 85.

Don't know why you guys are complaining, that drive isn't bad.....

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
            I have skimmed this thread and found a lot of information about what to carry etc.

I didn't see anything on total weight for those of us that backcountry hunt via backpack.

Do any of you weigh each individual item to cut down on weight? How much do you head off into the wilderness with (total weight)?

Last year I had WAY to much on my back.
            Yeah I am a charter member of Over packers Anonymous. I did my 7 day packlist the other night and came up with about 44 pounds. That's including 100oz of water. The food is estimated at 1.5 pounds/day. When I actually pack it up and weigh it we'll see how close I am. If you are trying to trim weight look at how much food and clothing you take first. See how much you can trim there then start looking at tent, sleep system, pack etc...all that stuff potentially costs big $$$ to lighten.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
              Yeah I am a charter member of Over packers Anonymous. I did my 7 day packlist the other night and came up with about 44 pounds. That's including 100oz of water. The food is estimated at 1.5 pounds/day. When I actually pack it up and weigh it we'll see how close I am. If you are trying to trim weight look at how much food and clothing you take first. See how much you can trim there then start looking at tent, sleep system, pack etc...all that stuff potentially costs big $$$ to lighten.
              I was packed with 56 lbs last year, but I had a Kifaru EMR that weighed 11lbs by itself.
              This year my pack is 4 lbs lighter from the start (Kifaru Timberline), dropping weight in other areas as well. Should be able to get the 7 day under 45 lbs as well.
              Don't have everything packaged to go yet, but according to listed weights for the items I don't have I should be good to go.
              I added a tipi tent instead of a bivy sack compared to last year, which also added 1.5 lbs, so we'll see once everything gets loaded. I'm going to try to vacuum seal each days food rations so I can manage my food better during the hunt.

Comment

Alright! More elk talk.

I am of the school of that I can handle anything for a week or so. I don't weigh my stuff, but I am very critical about what I actually take with me. My uncle is an old Green Beret and they have a saying "travel light, freeze at night" and that is what I usually do. I hunt better and travel much better with a lighter pack, period. Creature comforts are for my soft arse when I am home. Everything has to have a purpose or two before I think about taking it. Maybe because I hunt wilderness at timberline is the reason for my lack of weight. That being said, I will NOT take undue risk with fire starting/safety gear. I may be crazy but not dumb. Food, water, and fuel are the heaviest things.

1) I only eat freeze dried and snack during the day. Big meals at night, not much during the day.
                2) Water, I only hunt timber areas and water is NOT hard to find. Plus, I save room on water purifier by just using iodine tabs. I love iodine tabs for ease of use, bring a couple chrystal light or Emergen-C packs with you if you care about how your water tastes. I personally like it wet, that is all.
                3) Food. Bring HIGH calorie dense foods or nothing at all. Lots of fats and protein for me. PB, Meats, etc. As for meals, I only eat big freeze dried at night. Tons of salt in these bad boys. IF you have problems with NaCl, make your own at home.
                4) After everything that I said, I still like a tent MUCH better than a bivy. I get crazy in small spaces, especially at night. With that said, the bivy sack and light weight tarp give you 1) light weight sleep system 2) a huge dry footprint for not only you but all of your gear also. Lots of folks like this and I understand why. If you take a two man tent you can split the load with your partner and still have some shelter.
                5) I went to shoot traditional this year mainly for this type of hunting. Two lbs is way easier to hike with, and my dark timber hunting doesn't really allow shots outside of 30 yards...more like 15.

Comment

My biggest holdback on going with a tent was the weight, I just couldn't justify it.

I found the GoLite 5 person tipi under 3 lbs and went with that.

My biggest struggle is the food. Even with dehydrated meals, by the third day I don't want to eat that garbage, end up going without when I should be eating.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                    I was packed with 56 lbs last year, but I had a Kifaru EMR that weighed 11lbs by itself.
                    This year my pack is 4 lbs lighter from the start (Kifaru Timberline), dropping weight in other areas as well. Should be able to get the 7 day under 45 lbs as well.
                    Don't have everything packaged to go yet, but according to listed weights for the items I don't have I should be good to go.
                    I added a tipi tent instead of a bivy sack compared to last year, which also added 1.5 lbs, so we'll see once everything gets loaded. I'm going to try to vacuum seal each days food rations so I can manage my food better during the hunt.
                    I've never seen a Timberline in person but on paper the Timberline may be the best pack going right now. I got such a great deal on my KUIU I just could not turn it down.

I thought about a Tipi...the price on the Kifaru shut me down pretty quick although a Go-Lite looks pretty good as well and a lot cheaper. I am considering upgrading my Sierra Designs tent to a Hilleberg Akto. I have to be very careful about tents due to my height or I will get damp from touching the walls.

I was real bad about too much food. I will rectify this year. I easily had 4 pounds too much...That's crazy when you are spending $200+ to lighten your sleep system by a pound.

I've been thinking long and hard about clothing as well. I think I can save 3 pounds in non essential clothing.

Comment

Dr, you know who to PM if you don't want that Icon don't you???? :-)

How tall are you? What do they recommend for the Akto?

Also, I'm not bringing any glass this year. I never use it for elk where I'm probably going to be hunting this year anyway. Should save some weight and fatigue on the shoulders.

Comment

44 pounds.... That is now gonna be my goal. I didn't weigh my pack last year unfortunately. I just know it was heavy.

My first step is to re-create my pack, establish a basic point of reference, and begin to whittle away!

Comment

All this elk talk has me pumped already and it's only February. Come on Sept.
                          Just try to block it out and stay focused on work. Oh and try to stay off this thread

Comment

I've never seen a Timberline in person but on paper the Timberline may be the best pack going right now. I got such a great deal on my KUIU I just could not turn it down.

I thought about a Tipi...the price on the Kifaru shut me down pretty quick although a Go-Lite looks pretty good as well and a lot cheaper. I am considering upgrading my Sierra Designs tent to a Hilleberg Akto. I have to be very careful about tents due to my height or I will get damp from touching the walls.

I was real bad about too much food. I will rectify this year. I easily had 4 pounds too much...That's crazy when you are spending $200+ to lighten your sleep system by a pound.

I've been thinking long and hard about clothing as well. I think I can save 3 pounds in non essential clothing.
                            Agree on the price of Kifaru! I like the sawtooth a lot.

Thought about the super para tarp. 1# and carry with you daily when hunting, for those afternoon rain storms.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                              Just try to block it out and stay focused on work. Oh and try to stay off this thread
                              I am trying to do that. I am also fighting the urge to do constant unit research on Colorodo's DOW website.

Also spending time debating on which New Mexico units to apply for. Not to mention all the exercising and time spent researching better exercise techniques... I am gettting obsessed!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                                Dr, you know who to PM if you don't want that Icon don't you???? :-)

How tall are you? What do they recommend for the Akto?

Also, I'm not bringing any glass this year. I never use it for elk where I'm probably going to be hunting this year anyway. Should save some weight and fatigue on the shoulders.
                                Ha! I think i am gonna be very happy with the KUIU and I don't have $650 burning a hole in my pocket for the Timberline.

I am 6'4". I currently have a Sierra Designs Vapor Light XL which is 93" long. It is just long enough that if I don't toss and turn too much I won't slide down and have my feet touch the sidewalls. The problem with dome style tents is that it may be long enough but the pole design generally means the sides have a significant angle thus decreasing the available floor space. The first tent I was gonna get was a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2. I did so much research and thought I had found the perfect mix of weight, quality and price. I almost bought one for a steal but stopped myself. I went to REI where they had one and we set it up in the store with a sleeping bag. Yep I touched and as you guys know wherever you touch is gonna get damp from the condensation. Now this is not a huge deal....I could put a trash bag over my feet and the moisture is not too much but an issue like that for a week could become chilly if conditions were not right.

The Akto is the only other tent I can confirm that meets my length. It is only 87" long but the frame design has the ends with an actual negative angle to the inside of the tent. Hilleberg is a fantastic tent maker. I am considering because I may get a deal on one, has a side entry and I think I can sell my SD for about the same as I paid for it.

My 44 pounds was just pack weight it does not include stuff I carry on my person like binos and electronics.

I use my binos a little sometimes even in thick stuff you can just pick out legs or a butt with them. I wish I had a pair of 6x32 but for now I'll lug my 10x42s

Comment

Working...
                                X