No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caddenhead and I are booked for Sept with Streater Outdoors. He's got a high archery success rate. He's a lifetime bow hunter. I'm excited but it's gonna be a long 9 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      Caddenhead and I are booked for Sept with Streater Outdoors. He's got a high archery success rate. He's a lifetime bow hunter. I'm excited but it's gonna be a long 9 months.

Comment

What's the plan fellas? What is everyone putting in for this year. Let's get some talk going

Comment

I'm headed back to Idaho this year with Shawn, Dshawnmax on here, for an all trad elk and deer hunt. Just got a bunch more First Lite on their sale a couple of days ago. I have never had everything planned out so early. I have a 6x6 that I promised I would be back to get. Going to focus on getting good with a diaphragm call. Had my external reed get gummed up a couple times while actually calling to elk last year.

Anyone have any suggestions on small framed calls for guys with super small mouths?

Comment

The Elk Thread

I'm putting in for the usual suspects in New Mexico and Arizona. Getting in shape with lower body and core work. Going to get a mask to get the lungs in as good of shape as can be.

An all trad hunt sounds like a pretty great time. Wish I had the satchel to transition into traditional.
            Last edited by jaker_cc; 01-18-2016, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
              I'm headed back to Idaho this year with Shawn, Dshawnmax on here, for an all trad elk and deer hunt. Just got a bunch more First Lite on their sale a couple of days ago. I have never had everything planned out so early. I have a 6x6 that I promised I would be back to get. Going to focus on getting good with a diaphragm call. Had my external reed get gummed up a couple times while actually calling to elk last year.

Anyone have any suggestions on small framed calls for guys with super small mouths?
              Phelps calls makes them in various sizes. He has been on gritty bowmen a few times. He will reply pretty quick to emails if you have a question.

Comment

This will be my first year putting in for draw hunts. Right now I plan on putting in for New Mexico long shots and start building points in Colorado. Really want to get in on a Mule Deer hunt this year too learn the ropes on these western hunts.

Comment

[QUOTE=jaker_cc;10994255]I'm putting in for the usual suspects in New Mexico and Arizona. Getting in shape with lower body and core work. QUOTE]

Same for me. Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. Realistically only have a shot to draw New Mexico. Have to build those preference points.

Comment

[quote=texas shag;10994633]
                    Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                    I'm putting in for the usual suspects in New Mexico and Arizona. Getting in shape with lower body and core work. QUOTE]

Same for me. Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. Realistically only have a shot to draw New Mexico. Have to build those preference points.

Where in Utah, I've been wanting to get in on Utah but know nothing about it. Care to share any info?

Comment

[quote=jaker_cc;10994806]
                      Originally posted by texas shag View Post

Where in Utah, I've been wanting to get in on Utah but know nothing about it. Care to share any info?
                      Don't put in for the Wasatch! after a 9 year wait, what a let down.
                      Honestly with Utah having such an early season for archery, I won't be putting in again.
                      Still deciding on if I will keep my mule deer points going there. If I do I dang sure wont be going back to the Wasatch!

Comment

I'm putting in the Gila with an outfitter for archery this year. Got a 30% chance with him of drawing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                          I'm putting in the Gila with an outfitter for archery this year. Got a 30% chance with him of drawing.
                          That is one in three. The Gila usually has around 25 nonresident outfitter tags per hunt and 250 1st choice applicants. Are you sure about that?

Comment

Unless you are buying a landowner tag, the outfitter pool gets 10% of the tags. I don't think the math works out from there for you to have 30% draw odds, but I wish you luck! It's a great hunt for sure!

Comment

[quote=ELKAHOLIC;10994851]
                              Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post

Don't put in for the Wasatch! after a 9 year wait, what a let down.
                              Honestly with Utah having such an early season for archery, I won't be putting in again.
                              Still deciding on if I will keep my mule deer points going there. If I do I dang sure wont be going back to the Wasatch!
                              well thats a let down. maybe ill just stick with my usuals and maybe a few colorado units if they are worth it

Comment

Your outfitter isn't being straight with you. Last year the best odds for a non-resident, guided, archery Gila tag was for the first hunt in unit 16E. And that was still 14.3% odds to draw last year. And not all Gila units are created equal.

Comment

Working...
                                X