No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That a baby Felix!!!! What was your set up? Love to see more folks with the trad gear.

Comment

Hard core guys! Great pics.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        That a baby Felix!!!! What was your set up? Love to see more folks with the trad gear.
        My bow is 60" with a zebrawood riser with red elm limbs. It should be right around 60#@28". Shooting easton gamegetter arrows and 150gr magnus stinger broadheads. This shot was just a little over 30 yds. I hit about 6 inches above the heart for a double lung. I had penetration up to the feathers with arrow sticking out the far side. She ran maybe 200 yards as the crow flies but it would be more like 400 yards because of the elevation lost. The blood trail was terrible and she actually jumped off a 30ft cliff at one point where I had to go around and pick up the trail where she landed.

Comment

Yeah, those elk can not bleed worth a dang. We had s bull get hit through the heart in NM and never bled, not a drop. Found him when he ran into a cedar 100 yards downhill.

I am really looking at some single bevel for bigger critters.

Comment

Awesome pics. I'd love to hunt some elk someday.

Comment

Arizona Elk hunt was a bust as far as bringing home a bull. We did however have a trophy experience. Me and my buddy passed up numerous shots on 350 type bulls. Our goal was 370 plus. We were both chasing bulls in the 380 range. He missed one at 50 yards and I never got a shot due to wind, cows and bad setups. There was 5 hunters in camp and there was a 340, 350, & a 395 taken all 6x6. I got some great pics of elk and also a mountain lion that was eyeing us for dinner. I have been hunting elk for over 30 years and this was the best quality of free ranging bulls I have ever seen. Simply amazing. Hopefully I can return but hopefully wont take 16 years.
              Last edited by TexasTK; 09-28-2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                Yeah, those elk can not bleed worth a dang. We had s bull get hit through the heart in NM and never bled, not a drop. Found him when he ran into a cedar 100 yards downhill.

I am really looking at some single bevel for bigger critters.
                Completely agree with ya. My elk didn't leave a blood trail at all. I shot mine at 17 yards and he ran 80 with not a single drop of blood

Comment

Here is a short video of a 7x7 I was chasing.
                  That did not work !

Comment

Great thread im following

Comment

I had this Bull at 60 yards raking a tree. When I was just getting ready to draw a couple cows walked out. The Bulls vitals were blocked and next thing you know we were busted. Chased him for 3 days but could never close the deal. Did see another Bull bigger than him as well as the 397" Bull killed by a 16 year old that was in camp.
                      I passed numerous 350-360 type Bulls hoping for a giant.
                      The following week a rifle hunter put his tag on the Bull.
                      Was a real heartbreaker as it took me 16 years to get this tag.
                      I figured go big or go home. No regrets here, hunt of a lifetime.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's a dream bull!!!! My lord! And how'd you pass on a 350" bull?!? I'd shoot that in a heart beat, you've got more discipline than I do!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                          I had this Bull at 60 yards raking a tree. When I was just getting ready to draw a couple cows walked out. The Bulls vitals were blocked and next thing you know we were busted. Chased him for 3 days but could never close the deal. Did see another Bull bigger than him as well as the 397" Bull killed by a 16 year old that was in camp.
                          I passed numerous 350-360 type Bulls hoping for a giant.
                          The following week a rifle hunter put his tag on the Bull.
                          Was a real heartbreaker as it took me 16 years to get this tag.
                          I figured go big or go home. No regrets here, hunt of a lifetime.
                          Wow! Passing on 350's! What unit were you hunting?

Comment

First time elk hunt was a blast...never minding no elk kill and mass ohv's having chased elk off mountain to private property. 2nd rifle season in Unit 24 on Burro Mountain in White River National Forest in CO. Saw 150+\- elk herd on hoof. Killed blue grouse. Hunting partner and I accidentally pushed a couple 4x4 bulls into kill range of Missouri hunters camped up hill. Saw bull moose and 2 cows at 50 yards opening day. Found 40" bull moose antler shed. Tracked a wounded mule deer buck during midnight on mountain. Found out goretex isnt always water proof and is susceptible to wild rose thorn perforation.

Locals dont start hunting 2nd season until end of week when day hunters and outoftowners come off mountain.

Meat in the cooler...Awesome!

Comment

Thought I would post a pic of my Bull I just got back from the Taxi. If the tag gods shine on me again next year I'll be chasing them with a bow again.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
                                Thought I would post a pic of my Bull I just got back from the Taxi. If the tag gods shine on me again next year I'll be chasing them with a bow again.

That's bad ***!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X