No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ELK BUG is biting. I have 7 or 8 preference points in Colorado and said I was going to wait until next year. And after not being drawn in New Mexico I figured this fall was out.
    Hum..........with the arrival of the mail Saturday it hit me hard. Being 0-3 on ELK is eating at me!!!!!!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	24388434

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
      Also, anyone running bivy/tarp combos??? I'm thinking about doing a long labor day weekend hunt and then coming back for a full 10 day hunt at the last of the season. I think that as high as I will need to be on labor day, I might want to try the light weight option compared to my 2 man tent.
      All I've ever ran. For the tarp I run the Kifaru megatarp. Often with no bivy inside the tarp. Never had any problems at all. For just a bivy, there's several good options depending on how clausterfobic you are.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        Ok guys, who is going on scouting trips soon? My brother and SIL are moving to Cortez, CO in two weeks and I think I may be up in the Durango area scouting while I am up there.
        My hunting partner and I are flying up to Steamboat on July 30. We are going to scout an area southeast of Steamboat for a couple of days, set a couple of cameras, and find a good spot for our wall tent. We will be hunting the last week of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
          The ELK BUG is biting. I have 7 or 8 preference points in Colorado and said I was going to wait until next year. And after not being drawn in New Mexico I figured this fall was out.
          Hum..........with the arrival of the mail Saturday it hit me hard. Being 0-3 on ELK is eating at me!!!!!!!
          [ATTACH]723479[/ATTACH]
          Chuck Adams has a great article on ambush tactics in there that have worked well for me the last couple years.

Comment

Nope, bivy is out for this guy! Got to play with one this morning, no way I'm not freak'n out with that. Think I will keep kicking butt in the gym and be happy with a couple more pounds and a spacious 2 man tent.

Comment

Early season=bivy ok. Late season when I like to hunt not gonna happen. Then again I'm unlucky and get caught in snow storms a lot.

Comment

Well guys, I am going to throw my name in to this conversation. Will be going on my first hunt this year and am very excited. Going on a 7-8 day trip labor day week and am anxious as can be already. How do you guys even begin looking at where to go hunt? All the hunting I have ever done has been on property my family owns. Not hard to decide there.

Comment

Originally posted by BHicks View Post
                  Well guys, I am going to throw my name in to this conversation. Will be going on my first hunt this year and am very excited. Going on a 7-8 day trip labor day week and am anxious as can be already. How do you guys even begin looking at where to go hunt? All the hunting I have ever done has been on property my family owns. Not hard to decide there.

What kind of experience are you looking for? Think about your gear, your hunting skills, what kind of shape you are in, etc. Opening weekend you will probably have the best luck 1) hiking to the very top and glassing elk, then trying to spot and stalk in their bedding area, or blind calling and being ready for elk to come in silent 2) scout out some water sources that are getting hit and post up in a ground blind or tree stand. Either way can be effective, pick how you want to hunt and I'm sure folks will be able to help you on areas after that.

Comment

Here is a link to a good article as well.

Comment

I have put together some good gear that should put me in the 40 pound range, including food, water and fuel, for my pack plus bow, arrows, and whatever is on my body. I am wanting to do try the spot and stalk method due to not being able to get there before hand to find where to set up.

I do not have a spotting scope or a very good pair of binoculars. It is outside the budget for this year so I may look in to renting if I can't find any decent glass to borrow from a friend.

TWP, that was one of the best articles I have read so far. Thank you for that.

Comment

Don't worry about glass, this is your first hunt. Kill the first legal animal you can, in the first 10 minutes of the hunt if given the opportunity. Been there and done that.

Go on Rokslide and look up a bunch of tactics on elk, also check out ElkNut products.

Be ready for HOT weather and silent elk. Don't be afraid to take a nap mid day, unless you are calling in the dark timber. Have a great hunt!

Comment

Apply for good units in every state you can, if you dont draw do your homework on the best OTC tags you can get. Also look for leftover tags.
                          Good luck

Comment

This is the number one hunt I hope to take some day....awesome majestic beasts....
                            Here is another link yall may find helpful...
                            It certainly can be hard to think about chasing September’s bugling bulls when the calendar reads early July and temps are soaring into the sweltering 90s, but turning up the heat just may be the key to success for an upcoming elk bowhunt. To my mind, elk are best hunted with a refined system of controlled aggression—first locating, then literally living with the animals—to ensure you’re into elk from the time you drift off to sleep at night until you’re awakened by a raucous chorus of predawn bugles, the sweetest music you’ll hear all year long. For the DIY hunter, this means employing one of two options. The first is base camping out of your vehicle and packing along a light, waterproof bivy sack (paired with an equally light, compact sleeping bag), along with enough spartan rations that will let you spend a comfortable night or two on the mountain when required. The second approach is my personal favorite.

Comment

Well, it looks like I am going solo this year, should be fun! I will hopefully be a more patient hunter.

Currently watching Roe Hunting Resources elk module, this stuff is amazing!!!

Comment

Is the roe stuff worth the money?

Comment

Working...
                                X