No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're going floorless, the LBO is a good option, if you're planning to hunt anything steep though it's tough to find a spot to pitch it. I really like my mountainsmith lt shelter, the footprint is good enough for one person and his gear, and you can find one for about $100. You do need trekking poles to pitch it, but I only use my trekking poles to hike in and out.

Comment

That Mountain Smith LT looks pretty darn neat! I not real sure about needing all the stakes though, if I decide to crash up high, would it be too tough to get the stakes into tough/rocky ground???

Comment

You can just stake it down and forego the guy lines if you really have to, but it decreases the amount of space you have, the stakes are pretty tough, but I will likely switch them out with some msr groundhog stakes.

Comment

Haven ridden out storms in both 1 and 2-man tents, the extra money and weight for a 2-man is worth it.

Comment

Anybody remember when CO mails out refunds for PPs?

Comment

I have a nemo bivy tent. A little pricey but very light and easy set up. It is definetly a little cramped to try and stay in all day during a storm.

Comment

I am running a Kifaru Mega tarp with annex and para stove. Plenty of room for me and my gear. These things are solid in about any situation.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431300180.829066.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	24379403Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431300196.018718.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	24379404 I do not have the sides pulled out as I had it set up on the side of the house. You get a lot more room when pitched out that way.

Comment

Glenn, I want a megatarp, I just don't wanna fork over the money for one. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                    Good news, we got a N.M. tag. Bad news is it isn't my favorite unit, but it is a tag.
                    Haven't heard from Thornton, did you draw?
                    I missed this....congrats on your tag. I sent you an email asking if you guys drew but maybe its no valid.

We did not draw NM but we had already drawn in WY. I only applied for high end NM and not our normal unit. Have not been to WY in 2 years but hoping I can find another bull willing this year.

Only 4 short months!

Comment

I got this bull coming through my area.

Comment

You can bait in Idaho or is that for the bears and he is passing thru?

Comment

It's my bear bait station but he sure loves the rolled oats and molasses

Comment

So how does that work legally speaking if he wanders through there can you shoot him?

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                              So how does that work legally speaking if he wanders through there can you shoot him?

The bear or elk? I can shoot the bear of the bait. This bait will be pulled at the end of spring bear season so the elk won't have oats to eat on.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                                I missed this....congrats on your tag. I sent you an email asking if you guys drew but maybe its no valid.

We did not draw NM but we had already drawn in WY. I only applied for high end NM and not our normal unit. Have not been to WY in 2 years but hoping I can find another bull willing this year.

Only 4 short months!
                                My return e-mail may not have gone through. Already in touch with Leroy, He recommends a different part of the unit, I'm pretty sure I will be back in the same area. I may move camp to Canada Escondido. there is some times water there. You can boil for cleaning if you run short.
                                Good luck in Wyoming, New Mexico is far enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X