No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Sports at I10 and DeZavala has Sitka on sale right now (20% off). Don't know what they have in stock at their store.

Comment

Originally posted by dashj7 View Post
      Okay I'm needing a little help on clothing. Headed up to CO high country for the season opener. I will have to upgrade some gear of course. My questions are around Sitka and first lite. I prefer wool but am afraid that the kanab pants won't hold up to the conditions. Sitka makes a mountain pant that looks great but I'm afraid of odor. Also like traverse top by Sitka.

So....
      Sitka mountain pants vs first lite kanab pants

As far as top...first lite llano then
      Chama vs Sitka traverse

Then where can you try them on. Mostly first for this question. I'm south of San Antonio.
      What part of Colorado? The Kanabs are really nice, I own a pair, they do like to catch burs a bit. They are NOT the toughest thing in the world, but are tougher than you think. I personally use KUIU Attack or even my Proper military pants, for $40 bucks they are a LEGIT pant especially for early season.

To be real honest, I have quit using camo for much of anything and have gone completely to the Icebreaker Merino wool, but still have a couple pieces of the First Lite. First Lite's wool is tops IMO.

I wore Icrebreaker bottoms, Proper pants and OR gaiters with Icebreaker wool, an Arc'Letex (sp) puffy and North Face soft shell in January on a mule deer hunt with a freak snow storm, and was comfortable in all of it. For whatever that is worth, unfortunately my camo game was not up to par and the game wardens asked "are you a prospector?"

Comment

Heads up for those hunting Colorado.

Lighted nocks and cameras attached to bows have been legalized this year.

Good news that might help in capturing the hunt and recovery both.

Comment

It is a mule deer hunt north of gunnison. I also have gotten away from camo to find clothes that fit. I have been wearing carhartt 151 that are lite weight and move good with me. They are cotton but worked great for me during 2013 floods in the Gila. I have been working hard and lost some weight so now I have to buy more clothes. If spending money then I want what works best. I love Sitka and kuiu and have those products but am worried about the smell factor. On the flip side merino wool has never lasted long with me.

Comment

I did get a traverse shirt at good sports. That's my favorite store in SA that sportsman left.

Comment

I did get a traverse shirt at good sports. That's my favorite store in SA that sportsman left.

Do they have a good selection of Sitka? Any good sales?

Comment

Not much left unless you are medium. Few large shirts. 90% pants in 34. New stuff coming in spring.

Comment

FYI. Arizona is a little confusing this year about valid license dates. I bought license separately because last years is still valid but wont be by draw dates. I just randomly chose 2-1-15 thru 1-31-16. No sure if that was right or wrong but look good.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

FYI. Arizona is a little confusing this year about valid license dates. I bought license separately because last years is still valid but wont be by draw dates. I just randomly chose 2-1-15 thru 1-31-16. No sure if that was right or wrong but look good.

I did the same..... It doesn''t make it obvious that you have to do so., but I understood it the same way as you,

Comment

For AZ, the $160 for the lisc in non-refundable, even if you're putting in for points, right?

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                          For AZ, the $160 for the lisc in non-refundable, even if you're putting in for points, right?
                          correct

Comment

just fyi for the guys building points in utah.. you can get 2 years worth of points per license if you time it right

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              correct

That's what I thought, need to apply before I forget.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                                That's what I thought, need to apply before I forget.
                                and the license needs to be valid the closing date of applications. thats why you can't get two years of points on one license like you can in Utah

Comment

Working...
                                X