The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
    2015-2016 New Mexico hunting regs are out. As expected all units have moved to a 2 season archery structure.
    Publication Library Click below to view our library offered from the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish. Note: PDF 1-page layouts can change to 2-page layouts with your Adobe Acrobat or Browser settings.  Rules & Information Books 2024-2025 Hunting The 2024-2025 New Mexico Hunting Rules

App season is coming quick...Wyoming NR Elk apps are due at the end on Jan.
    http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/hunting-1001103.aspx
    So I wonder how many of those first half archery tags will be available, that'd be a tough hunt, but getting in there on elk that are completely not pressured is appealing.

Comment

2015-2016 New Mexico hunting regs are out. As expected all units have moved to a 2 season archery structure.
      Publication Library Click below to view our library offered from the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish. Note: PDF 1-page layouts can change to 2-page layouts with your Adobe Acrobat or Browser settings.  Rules & Information Books 2024-2025 Hunting The 2024-2025 New Mexico Hunting Rules

[/url]
      Not all Units fall into that category. All Units & private ranches that are inside the Core Occupied Elk Range (COER) now have 2 archery seasons. All others outside the COER do not have to opt for the 2 seasons & can choose to have 1 long season if preferred. Dates are ranch specific.

Comment

They messed up my plans of hunting the 11th - 16th

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
          Schmalzy, I can give you some recommendations for a decent sleep system and a pack if you are budget conscious like myself, just let me know, what GMU's are you looking at? I'm debating right now between trying to hunt in UT for mule deer again or elk OTC in CO if I don't get drawn for the mule deer unit I put in for this year.
          Rhendrix,

My apologies I just saw this! I thought I checked this post again, sorry for the late response.

I will PM you the units I am looking at. I am also toying with the idea of Idaho. I have almost all of my gear squared away, just need to pick up some good pants, quilt and gaiters.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
            So I wonder how many of those first half archery tags will be available, that'd be a tough hunt, but getting in there on elk that are completely not pressured is appealing.
            I don't know if getting in there early while they aren't pressured would be better or waiting until the second season to try and catch them bugling?
            The first part of Sept. could be more setting at water holes, which isn't as appealing to me. Anyone have any thoughts? Might be easier to get drawn for the first part of Sept.?

Comment

I suspect a lot of residents will opt for first season, and most non residents will want 2nd.
              The majority of the locals prefer sitting water from my observations.
              The majority of non residents want the thrill of the rut. Like me!

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzy View Post
                Rhendrix,

My apologies I just saw this! I thought I checked this post again, sorry for the late response.

I will PM you the units I am looking at. I am also toying with the idea of Idaho. I have almost all of my gear squared away, just need to pick up some good pants, quilt and gaiters.

Let me know buddy.

I don't have easy access to a laptop, has NM put out the tag allotments per season yet?

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                  I realize that you cannot hunt wilderness as a NR w/o a guide. Question for you all that have hunted WY public as a NR, w/o a guide on non wilderness areas....Is it worth it? Or, would you strongly suggest hiring a guide?
                  You can get into some big Elk on a General Tag inside wilderness with an outfitter hauling you in. Still gonna cost you $3-4K.

I have hunted on a WY General tag and I think its a better option than CO OTC. Generally less pressure and depending on the unit...hurts less.

Comment

What it'd take to draw that general tag?

Comment

You can get into some big Elk on a General Tag inside wilderness with an outfitter hauling you in. Still gonna cost you $3-4K.

I have hunted on a WY General tag and I think its a better option than CO OTC. Generally less pressure and depending on the unit...hurts less.
                      Completely Agree.. Since i started playing the points game i am hoping to never have to play the OTC game again .

Comment

I have enjoyed readin this. Because of the medical disability, I would not be able to do this type of hunt, but I can dream. I still put it in my bucket list.

Thanks

Comment

Tuning in

Comment

I was hunting a mule deer tag in 2008 and saw plenty of elk, just wish I had a tag. The tag for the unit I was in is pretty easy to draw but I haven't been back. The cost is the only hangup for me, I can hunt Colorado OTC for $46 as a resident.
                            I would agree that a Wyoming general tag is better than Colorado OTC any day.

Comment

Okay I'm needing a little help on clothing. Headed up to CO high country for the season opener. I will have to upgrade some gear of course. My questions are around Sitka and first lite. I prefer wool but am afraid that the kanab pants won't hold up to the conditions. Sitka makes a mountain pant that looks great but I'm afraid of odor. Also like traverse top by Sitka.

So....
                              Sitka mountain pants vs first lite kanab pants

As far as top...first lite llano then
                              Chama vs Sitka traverse

Then where can you try them on. Mostly first for this question. I'm south of San Antonio.

Comment

Originally posted by dashj7 View Post
                                Okay I'm needing a little help on clothing. Headed up to CO high country for the season opener. I will have to upgrade some gear of course. My questions are around Sitka and first lite. I prefer wool but am afraid that the kanab pants won't hold up to the conditions. Sitka makes a mountain pant that looks great but I'm afraid of odor. Also like traverse top by Sitka.

So....
                                Sitka mountain pants vs first lite kanab pants

As far as top...first lite llano then
                                Chama vs Sitka traverse

Then where can you try them on. Mostly first for this question. I'm south of San Antonio.

I run a 31/2 layer system
                                first lite merino shirt
                                kryptek vest
                                first lite puffy
                                kuiu yukon jacket

first lite merino pants
                                kuiu yukon pants
                                OR gaiters

Comment

Working...
                                X