No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I leave Friday! Cant wait. Got all my bags packed and ready. Utah-Flaming Gorge here I come.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
      It might have been me stating the warning. I was chased up a tree in unit 49 in 2012 by one and saw several in 76 last year. One was an enormous bull that walked by at 100 yards without a care. Definitely no fear.

I take moose seriously now.

Sounds exciting. Was it a cow with a calf?

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
        This is why you didn't kill last year.
        First class setup for sure! We did OK for ourselves though. Upgrading my porch this year to a 13x13
        Attached Files

Comment

This is the first year since I was in grade school that I did not think about elk hunting all day every day. The Big Horn hunt had my full attention but I woke up this morning amd I could hear the bulls a screamin!! Come on Sept. 14 th. Man I love the outdoors. Not sure how the yuppies do it staying in the concrete jungle.

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
            This is the first year since I was in grade school that I did not think about elk hunting all day every day. The Big Horn hunt had my full attention but I woke up this morning amd I could hear the bulls a screamin!! Come on Sept. 14 th. Man I love the outdoors. Not sure how the yuppies do it staying in the concrete jungle.
            I hear you. I spend a month in the mountains during elk season.
            I can't say I've ever missed the crowds or the all to constant flow of information. Not even football.
            I leave in 10 days, Lord willing.

Comment

I envy you guys hunting early. I don't leave till Oct 30.

Comment

We will be in CO OTC the second and third week in September. No shortage of steep. Have done crossfit pretty much since we got back home last year. Today started climbing with 50# sack of corn in the pack.

Elk or no elk, I will enjoy the climbing.
                Attached Files

Comment

I just got my matriarch cow call in and love it. If your looking for that one call to add to your tool belt this is it, I promise. Great tone and you can really get that nasal sound out there. When U first starte I thiught all elk sounded perfectly the same. Man was I wrong. Most calls get close but this one nails it for me.

I watched 7 cow elk make this call over and over for about two hours last year.

Comment

I just got my matriarch cow call in and love it. If your looking for that one call to add to your tool belt this is it, I promise. Great tone and you can really get that nasal sound out there. When U first starte I thiught all elk sounded perfectly the same. Man was I wrong. Most calls get close but this one nails it for me.

I watched 7 cow elk make this call over and over for about two hours last year.
                    Don't leave out a calf call. Everything comes to that in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                      Don't leave out a calf call. Everything comes to that in a hurry.
                      Yes sir. I have practiced very hard at trying to make every possible elk sound. I heard a knew one on my Sheep hunt. A heard of elk came near camp and we're making some wakeful sounds.

One guy thought it was a cat screaming. They were scream barking. First time I'd heard Anything like it. Goes to show you they can make lots of different sounds.

Comment

Just came down from my second scouting trip (also spent a 5 days first week of June). Covered 35 miles of backcountry over 2.5 days. All of the elk I found were at 11,500'+. Left a herd of 40-50 on the continental divide yesterday morning.

Hope they are talking when I return in a little less than a month.

Comment

Leaving Wednesday morning for Colorado. Best of luck to everyone on their hunts, I know I'll enjoy every day whether I am fortunate enough to arrow an elk or not.

Comment

Yes sir. I have practiced very hard at trying to make every possible elk sound. I heard a knew one on my Sheep hunt. A heard of elk came near camp and we're making some wakeful sounds.

One guy thought it was a cat screaming. They were scream barking. First time I'd heard Anything like it. Goes to show you they can make lots of different sounds.
                            I would guess they were picking up your scent at camp and can' tell you what it means on the green screen. It would probably make a sailor cringe.

Comment

Just secured a voucher in NM 51 ! Thanks Coonazz!!!!

Comment

We were supposed to leave for Chama on September 14th but the hunters before us cancelled and we were able to change our flights to Friday the 12th for $45! Now instead of hunting 3 days we will be able to hunt 5 1/2 if needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X