No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are hunting 16B, you wont have to worry about 4-wheelers!! That unit is pretty much all wilderness with no roads!!! 15 on the other hand has roads everywhere!! I don't understand why bowhunters feel the need to road hunt...but I don't mind cause it means more game for me a couple miles in!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
      If you are hunting 16B, you wont have to worry about 4-wheelers!! That unit is pretty much all wilderness with no roads!!! 15 on the other hand has roads everywhere!! I don't understand why bowhunters feel the need to road hunt...but I don't mind cause it means more game for me a couple miles in!!!
      Exactly. Thats why we're headed up there in 2 weeks. We want to check out some potential spike camps and the like.

Comment

I think it's safe to I won't be hunting the Gila with my bow this year. Bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by coonazz View Post
          Got mine in a couple weeks ago. Love it and can't wait to use it.
          Review??? Pictures?

Comment

Any recommendation for a good rangefinder to use in the mountains that won't break the bank, I'm looking at an opti-logic micro 2 or a bushnell the truth

Comment

Received my Montana elk/deer tags yesterday. October couldn't come sooner.

Comment

I've hunted Unit 23 in Colo 19 seasons. Would be 27 seasons, but had to miss a few due to college, career, and illness. Only started using atv last year. Before then, always and only on foot. If you're not in physical shape, today is a great day to start. Once you get there, never stop.

Physical strengths I've learned that are important for me in the mountains and working game after the harvest: Leg endurance is obvious. I like hills, steps, and treadmills that incline at least 15*. ***This part is just what I know I need***A strong upper and lower back. Because I have to carry and drag my game out (or help another hunter), I have to have a solid lower & upper back, shoulders, and biceps. I'm not inferring the ability to do a 120 lb curl, but rather heavy rows for extended time. Imagine draging an animal for hours and the muscles being used.

Submitted for our tags a month ago. I included a bear tag this year. Bear numbers are way up in that unit. Anyone else in that area?

Comment

Finally getting around to post my 2013 DIY Colorado Bull.. Ready too see what 2014 has in store for me..

Comment

Very nice^^^^

Comment

Heck yeah!!! What is the story? Lets hear all about it.

Originally posted by baseball4 View Post
                      Finally getting around to post my 2013 DIY Colorado Bull.. Ready too see what 2014 has in store for me..

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                        Heck yeah!!! What is the story? Lets hear all about it.
                        Well if you want a story I guess ill have to make it happen. Bear with me now cause I am not the best story teller but here ya go. Hope you enjoy..

Its Wednesday the 9th around noon and me and good friend of mine are north bound once again anxiously waiting to see what 2013 has in store for us. 2012 was a great year my buddy got a nice 5x5 and I got my biggest muley to date. The pic in my avatar is my muley from 2012. Shot in southern Colorado DIY public hunt. So we are on highs of highs as we are heading north reminiscing of the years past. We arrived in Durango Co at 2:30 AM to meet my grandpa and cousin who drove down early that morning.. Got us a couple hours sleep then got us a hearty breakfast in before the long day ahead. After the 2 hr drive up the mountain to base camp we were eager to get everything unloaded so we can start scouting for opening day. Weather was calling for 2-4 inches of snow which was perfectly fine with us. As we got the tent up unloaded all of our gear its snowing heavier and heavier which then turned into a 3 hour whiteout which ended up being 14-16 inches of snow. Our plans of packing back into the back country were shot due to the amount of snowfall. Our base camp is at 8,500 elevation and our destination in the back country varies from 10,000-11,000 which we knew no way in hell we were going to make it back there without injuring us or the horses. Then we had a decision to make whether to call it quits before the season or stick it out and hunt base camp which is usually great hunting. After the 12 hour drive we thought why not stick it out and give it a shot. 1st morning resulted in no luck, any of you that have hunted in over a foot of snow know that getting around in 15 inches of snow is not easily done. We are hunting about 1-3 miles from base camp which was miserable trying to get from point A to point B with all the snow. That afternoon we ended up seeing a few elk but nothing to brag about. A couple little satellite bulls and 15 cows. The next day a little bit of the snow started melting off so we decided to saddle up the horses and get to the basin where we know the elk migrate through, which is also summer grounds for the elk until they get pushed out due to hunters or mother nature. Once again spotted a couple herds of elk but way to far to think about getting close enough for a shot. also Heard a few bugles which got me fired up for the up coming days. Monday morning the 14th we wake up at 3:30 to saddle the horses cook breakfast and try to reach the basin once again to see if we can put a bull on the ground. Well my grandpa who is 75 years old ( who I have elk hunted with every year since I have been going. I have killed 4 bulls including this one and all of them I owe to him. He has hunted this land since he was 25 years old. ) He didn't feel good that morning so I stuck around camp with him to be sure he was ok. I didn't feel comfortable leaving him at camp by himself incase something was to happen. He begged me to go hunt which was not a thought at the time. He is very hard headed and wasn't to happy I stayed with him but oh well. lol. That afternoon my grandpa felt a lot better so we all saddled up the horses once again and was off for the afternoon hunt. Im sitting on a ridge over looking the basin which is a huge canyon that is known for good elk hunting. With my pancho on and snow falling once again I thought we might be going home empty handed. An hour before dark I hear a scream in the distance, not 100% sure what I just heard I kept glassing and glassing. Once again I hear a scream in the distance and thought it sounded like a bugle. A few min later heard it again. Sounded far off but I told my self if I hear it 1 more time im going after him. I couldn't hardly get through thinking that and heard it again. Off I was working down the ridge as fast as I can to close the gap and the whole time the bugles are getting louder and louder. When I realize I was not far from them I eased up and started creeping along the ridge till I saw movement 200 yds below me. COW. then another cow and another after 14 cows theres the bull. Im looking down a steep mountain side through some aspens which are so I thick I cant hardly see crap. I can tell he is a nice bull and def a shooter then I hear the bugle again which was not the bull I am looking at. Then the heard bull appears and is much bigger than the 1st bull. As he bugled the hair stood up on my back. I am looking at one of the biggest bulls I have ever seen while elk hunting. I am trying to find a gap in the aspens to get a shot through which was nerve racking. Finally found my spot and the bull was 4 steps from being in the opening so I can take a shot. He then turns around and disappears for seemed like eternity which was probably 3-5 min. Here he comes again dark chocolate horns coming through the aspens and im shaking like a leaf. All fired up. Finally stopped broadside in the opening where i can get a shot. My first shot was perfect right behing the shoulder as he was bugling. Ended up turning quartering away in the same opening and i shot 6 more times which i hit him a total of 5 times and finally anchored the big bull. I am on cloud 9 at this time which i take off running up the mountain to meet my buddy where i tell him i just shot the biggest bull of my life.. A few hugs and celebrations we make our way to my bull. I shot this bull in about the worst place i could have. Way to slick and steep to get the horses to him so we had to quarter him and pack him up the mountain our selves which was a chore. We had to basically crawl and grab ahold of anything possible to pull our selves up the mountain to our pack mules. The snow and ice along with the steep mountain side made for one traitorous hike up the mountain. That's why i recommend being in tip top shape if you plan on chasing the big wapiti. All in all i would do it all over again tomm. I have been 6 years and have killed 4 bulls now and 1 big muley. Yeah its hard hunting and wears a man out but its the reward that keeps me going back. I love it and no matter what i will continue going back as long as i can.. Doesn't get any better than that. Cant wait to see what 2014 has in store for us.
                        SORRY FOR THE LONG READ. BUT HERE YA GO.
                        Last edited by baseball4; 05-04-2014, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Sounds awesome! Congrats on your trip and bull

Comment

Congrats on the bull. Exciting story; must have been pretty dicey packing out the meat on that steep, icy mountainside! Glad you can tell the tale.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                              Congrats on the bull. Exciting story; must have been pretty dicey packing out the meat on that steep, icy mountainside! Glad you can tell the tale.
                              I wouldn't say dicey as in if we fall we're goners. But between the steady incline and no traction it made for one hell of a ride. Felt like I was on a slip n slide again lol. If it would not have snowed it would not have been near as bad.. Pretty much you crawl up 5yds slide down 2 haha.. Or more. I had to literally throw the horns up several feet crawl to them and repeat the process till I reached the top lol. Def kicked my butt. Would do it all again in a sec.
                              Last edited by baseball4; 05-05-2014, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Thx guys

Comment

Working...
                                X