No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No dice for me, unsuccessful! Good luck to the rest of you!!

Comment

Anyone hunt Colorado units 70, 80 or 81? Since I struck out in the NM draw I'd like to go over the counter archery in CO and was mulling over those three units.

Comment

I drew unit 52 Elk second hunt. Waay happy. To say this is my best draw season ever is an understatment. Elk and Big Horn in the same year. It will never be dupicated.

Congrats to all that drew a tag.

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
          I drew unit 52 Elk second hunt. Waay happy. To say this is my best draw season ever is an understatment. Elk and Big Horn in the same year. It will never be dupicated.

Congrats to all that drew a tag.
          You forgot to mention drawing Antelope and Deer. Man you are livin right!

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
            Anyone hunt Colorado units 70, 80 or 81? Since I struck out in the NM draw I'd like to go over the counter archery in CO and was mulling over those three units.
            I hunted 71 several years ago. If you are interested PM me and I'll give you my intel.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
              Heck, call Sitka. They are based out of Bozeman, you may also want to check out KUIU. I have hunted eastern Montana and it can be HOT or cold as heck, never been further west. Good luck!!!!
              Like he said it really all depends. I wear several layers with a vest that has a large pocket on the back to stash the layers. It can range from sunny and 70 degrees all the way down to negatives. Also depend on what time of the year you go, they have a long season in MT. We go opening rifle weeks, last week of October, last couple years it's warm when we show up and starts snowing after camps set up and fire woods cut, perfect.

Comment

Is it scouting time yet??? I was shooting this morning and sweating already, I need mountain time ASAP!

I have hunted 371 OTC the past couple of years. I have been in elk every year, but the dark timber areas are kind of making me wish for more open country. Especially since my elk calling is poor to horrible. Lol

Comment

Is it scouting time yet??? I was shooting this morning and sweating already, I need mountain time ASAP!

I have hunted 371 OTC the past couple of years. I have been in elk every year, but the dark timber areas are kind of making me wish for more open country. Especially since my elk calling is poor to horrible. Lol

Been scouting time for weeks now. Snow has really melted off and animals are moving around. I have one area I can't get into until May 11th due to closure but once it opens I got 10 trail cameras going in. Gotta work a spring and a wallow to make it back up a little more and then set tree stands. Going to be a blast.

Comment

Got my hands on a Ultra 6000 from KUIU at lunch today, my buddy got it and it is sweet!!!! Thing is so light it is amazing! I didn't try it with weight, but was amazed at the functions and design. I am NOT a pack junky at all, but I know that pack is a lot bigger, stiffer and lighter than even my backpacking packs. Pretty sweet deal if you are looking

Comment

Got my hands on a Ultra 6000 from KUIU at lunch today, my buddy got it and it is sweet!!!! Thing is so light it is amazing! I didn't try it with weight, but was amazed at the functions and design. I am NOT a pack junky at all, but I know that pack is a lot bigger, stiffer and lighter than even my backpacking packs. Pretty sweet deal if you are looking
                      Got mine in a couple weeks ago. Love it and can't wait to use it.

Comment

You boys scouting yet?
                        I was up there this weekend, saw 4 bulls already splitting for there 3rd points. Saw over 50 deer.
                        Even practiced a stalk, on a nice fat rainbow trout which promptly took a size 22 parachute adams on the first cast!

Looking forward to some of this snow pack melting off enough to get in the high country.
                        For those interested here is the snowpack link for Colorado:
                        ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Sno...pdate_snow.pdf

Southern Colorado may be pretty dry this year...

Comment

Originally posted by Choot-Em View Post
                          No dice for me, unsuccessful! Good luck to the rest of you!!
                          Why not just take mine, looks like we have the same name now anyway
                          Maybe biter might be a better name?

Comment

Planning a trip with Jcharette08 out to the Gila on the 16th of May. I've never been but he has. He also drew the 3rd season 16b and i've got the 2nd. I can't wait to see what that side of the state offers up! I will try to bring back some pictures for you folks.

Comment

It is awesome country, the two times I hunted 15 we had a lot of rolling stuff, cedars and open parks. Lots of 4 wheelers and guys riding on them with arrows nocked. Had a 6x6 called in between two separate 4 wheelers running through the area. Find parks away from roads/trails as much as you can. Giants out there!!!

Comment

It is awesome country, the two times I hunted 15 we had a lot of rolling stuff, cedars and open parks. Lots of 4 wheelers and guys riding on them with arrows nocked. Had a 6x6 called in between two separate 4 wheelers running through the area. Find parks away from roads/trails as much as you can. Giants out there!!!
                                I've heard of those dudes on the 4-wheelers. I've had a couple mule deer spooked out from under me with guys "bowhunting" from their trucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X