Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
    Hunting solo is a double edged sword.
    First off, I hunt better by myself. I really feel like I listen to my gut more, and put myself in the right place at the right time more often. Solo, I am real lucky! Hunting with a partner I was 0 for 3 on hunts lasting 7 days or more, with only one shot opportunity.

Some things to consider when hunting solo:

1. What if you get hurt?
    I carry a SPOT satellite messenger so I can always signal for help if I need it. This eliminated a lot of my wife's worrying as well. It was unbelievable how this also helps to keep you calm in a potentially serious situation. I tore my ankle on a hunt the first weekend of third rifle season off the side of the Grand Mesa in western Colorado. I was screwed! Knowing I could get help if needed allowed me to not panic and do something stupid, I was able to get off the mountain by myself but it reassured me that I will continue to carry the SPOT.

2. Mental side: the loneliness is too much for some. Going 3 days without talking to someone else is pretty average in the mountains and most do okay with that. Once you start getting past that there are a lot of people who will bail off the mountain just to have contact with another person, It's happened to me in the past, and I'm sure it will again some day.
    I find that in the summer doing progressively longer trips can help to build up the mental side. Once you get to day 7, you are usually past the loneliness and settle into a nice flow. You can do a lot to prepare physically, preparing the mental side for the mountains is different. Things that help me: a good book, mini Ipod for music, and even games on a phone.

3. Packing meat:
    Have a plan! You don't have to have a packer, but be prepared for when you down an animal and be ready to debone on the mountain and hang that meat so it will cool. That may mean moving it 1/4 mile or more for good shade or a creek. Once meat is hung and cooling, take the first load out. You can always leave camp for the last load. Plan your loads to minimize your trips. You don't need to carry 3 loads of 115 lbs and then a load of 45 lbs, so as you are packing your meat bags to hang, figure out which loads will go together.
    Don't get overwhelmed by the prospect of getting the meat out. You've usually got a couple days, and unless you hurt yourself you will be able to do this even if in the backcountry 5-7 miles.
    If you know the hardest part of the packout is getting the elk meat 1 mile up out of the canyon you are in, then shuttle all of the meat out of the canyon first. Then your later trips, when you are more tired, won't be deal breakers. Much easier to use adrenaline to get that meat out of the hole, than hiking in and out after you've covered 20 miles packing meat.

4. Plan your gear to be successful: Don't head up the mountain solo with 60 lbs of gear and expect to be able to hunt effectively and pack out an elk. Get your gear weight down into the 40 lb range. 35 lbs if possible (and it is). Even with food and water, total weight should be under 45 lbs IMO. If not, take a hard look at what really needs to go.
    If you listen to Mark Smith who's video was linked above, one thing he mentioned in Colorado at the ISE show last year was using a bivy. A bivy is lightweight, very small, and can be packed quickly. You can usually find an elk bed on even the steepest mountains and sleep there ( I know I did last year). There are plenty of small tents or tarps that will serve well, just decide what shelter works for you and use it before your trip so you are comfortable with it.

Hunting solo has led to the highest of highs for me, but it isn't for everyone. Next year, my wife will be elk hunting with me. She is looking to take her first archery elk.

Great advice, a3d!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
      I carried a small bivy tent last year to save on weight and space. After riding out nightly thunderstorms with my toes and nose touching the rough I am looking for a larger tent this year that will allow me to at least sit upright.
      I used a Tarptent Notch last year and made a change for next year. I will be using the Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. Gives me a lot more room at minimal weight, allowing me to better wait out those storms. I was miserable last year in some of those rain storms.

Comment

I've done a bivy sack before on a scouting trip, I can't stand them!!! I always carry a light weight two man tent, I like room to move, change into clothes, read a book, etc. I even had to shelter my hunting buddy one night after his tent took a beating and ripped during a storm. Is skimp on a lot of bulky gear to make sure I can bring along the tent.

Anyone use high calorie drink mixes??? My kayaker/hiker/hunting buddy got me hooked on dry mix smoothies. Talk about a treat, cold filtered water in a bottle with a strawberry and banana smoothie every couple days is bliss. I will get the name of the company for y'all

Comment

New Mexico Regs are out

WY apps due at the end of the month and AZ will be due on 2/11.

I know just about every state's draw system and can help if there are questions.

Comment

Hopefully this helpful and not to repetitive! For me I did not have the resources or time to go year after year to learn and experience a pack in wilderness hunt, even though that is still a dream of mine. So I chose a private ranch owner in Colorado that was all inclusive. It included everything you needed to have the best opportunity to harvest an elk with a bow. I have a thread on TBH under Bowhunting report titled "Elk Hunt" It was a hunting experience of a lifetime.

Comment

Hunting solo is a double edged sword.
              First off, I hunt better by myself. I really feel like I listen to my gut more, and put myself in the right place at the right time more often. Solo, I am real lucky! Hunting with a partner I was 0 for 3 on hunts lasting 7 days or more, with only one shot opportunity.

Some things to consider when hunting solo:

1. What if you get hurt?
              I carry a SPOT satellite messenger so I can always signal for help if I need it. This eliminated a lot of my wife's worrying as well. It was unbelievable how this also helps to keep you calm in a potentially serious situation. I tore my ankle on a hunt the first weekend of third rifle season off the side of the Grand Mesa in western Colorado. I was screwed! Knowing I could get help if needed allowed me to not panic and do something stupid, I was able to get off the mountain by myself but it reassured me that I will continue to carry the SPOT.

2. Mental side: the loneliness is too much for some. Going 3 days without talking to someone else is pretty average in the mountains and most do okay with that. Once you start getting past that there are a lot of people who will bail off the mountain just to have contact with another person, It's happened to me in the past, and I'm sure it will again some day.
              I find that in the summer doing progressively longer trips can help to build up the mental side. Once you get to day 7, you are usually past the loneliness and settle into a nice flow. You can do a lot to prepare physically, preparing the mental side for the mountains is different. Things that help me: a good book, mini Ipod for music, and even games on a phone.

3. Packing meat:
              Have a plan! You don't have to have a packer, but be prepared for when you down an animal and be ready to debone on the mountain and hang that meat so it will cool. That may mean moving it 1/4 mile or more for good shade or a creek. Once meat is hung and cooling, take the first load out. You can always leave camp for the last load. Plan your loads to minimize your trips. You don't need to carry 3 loads of 115 lbs and then a load of 45 lbs, so as you are packing your meat bags to hang, figure out which loads will go together.
              Don't get overwhelmed by the prospect of getting the meat out. You've usually got a couple days, and unless you hurt yourself you will be able to do this even if in the backcountry 5-7 miles.
              If you know the hardest part of the packout is getting the elk meat 1 mile up out of the canyon you are in, then shuttle all of the meat out of the canyon first. Then your later trips, when you are more tired, won't be deal breakers. Much easier to use adrenaline to get that meat out of the hole, than hiking in and out after you've covered 20 miles packing meat.

4. Plan your gear to be successful: Don't head up the mountain solo with 60 lbs of gear and expect to be able to hunt effectively and pack out an elk. Get your gear weight down into the 40 lb range. 35 lbs if possible (and it is). Even with food and water, total weight should be under 45 lbs IMO. If not, take a hard look at what really needs to go.
              If you listen to Mark Smith who's video was linked above, one thing he mentioned in Colorado at the ISE show last year was using a bivy. A bivy is lightweight, very small, and can be packed quickly. You can usually find an elk bed on even the steepest mountains and sleep there ( I know I did last year). There are plenty of small tents or tarps that will serve well, just decide what shelter works for you and use it before your trip so you are comfortable with it.

Hunting solo has led to the highest of highs for me, but it isn't for everyone. Next year, my wife will be elk hunting with me. She is looking to take her first archery elk.

Darn good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwilliams View Post
                Hopefully this helpful and not to repetitive! For me I did not have the resources or time to go year after year to learn and experience a pack in wilderness hunt, even though that is still a dream of mine. So I chose a private ranch owner in Colorado that was all inclusive. It included everything you needed to have the best opportunity to harvest an elk with a bow. I have a thread on TBH under Bowhunting report titled "Elk Hunt" It was a hunting experience of a lifetime.
                This one??? Great bulls and one heck of a trip. As you said, if you don't have the desire or time to learn to hunt and take a lick'n learning how, that looks like a good trip.

Comment

How good are you guys at calling elk?

Do you know what the elk are saying and what you are saying back to them?

When you make a call, does it come or the way you want every time?

Do you have a strategy for calling?

There are some good resources available out there, one of them is Cris Roe and Roe Hunting Resources. His elk module contains hours of video of elk calling, and explanations of different strategies that can help shorten the learning curve.

Comment

Going to post this on the Mule deer thread also, but what resource are yall using to get topos or more detailed maps for your GPS. Stumbled upon the Gamin Hunt maps and they look sweet but at 99 bucks for a little ole sd card I want to make sure their isn't something better out their or cheaper. Will add that I am mostly looking for a program that shows national grasslands, BLM, state and Corps of Engineers land and not just national forest land
                    Last edited by westtexducks; 01-28-2014, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Well its that time for me to start buying more gear

I already have my sitka gear and bought a complete set of kuiu, now I am looking at packs.

Has anyone tried the Sitka gear packs either the 10 or 14, I really don't need a huge pack, just something to carry water, camera, range finder, and rain gear.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                        Going to post this on the Mule deer thread also, but what resource are yall using to get topos or more detailed maps for your GPS. Stumbled upon the Gamin Hunt maps and they look sweet but at 99 bucks for a little ole sd card I want to make sure their isn't something better out their or cheaper. Will add that I am mostly looking for a program that shows national grasslands, BLM, state and Corps of Engineers land and not just national forest land

Pick the state, put it on your gps and overlay your .kmz spots and routes over it. Slick and free.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post

I already have my sitka gear and bought a complete set of kuiu, now I am looking at packs.

Has anyone tried the Sitka gear packs either the 10 or 14, I really don't need a huge pack, just something to carry water, camera, range finder, and rain gear.
                          For that size I prefer the Eberlestock packs, either the mini-me or the dagger should be big enough, but I prefer the X1 for a little more room and better waist belt.

Comment

No doubt Sitka has quality gear but for a pure day pack you could spend allot less with the same result.

If you are gonna have to haul an Elk out, you'll have to completely change your thoughts.

Comment

For that size I prefer the Eberlestock packs, either the mini-me or the dagger should be big enough, but I prefer the X1 for a little more room and better waist belt.
                              Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                              No doubt Sitka has quality gear but for a pure day pack you could spend allot less with the same result.

If you are gonna have to haul an Elk out, you'll have to completely change your thoughts.
                              Thanks fellas, the reason I was looking at Sitka gear is because i have a little OCD when it comes to camo patterns, they all have to match.

Comment

Thanks fellas, the reason I was looking at Sitka gear is because i have a little OCD when it comes to camo patterns, they all have to match.
                                Completely understand...There was a 10 on camofire yesterday. I forget the price but you can contact them and see if they sold out. Sometimes they just time out and if they still have some they will honor the price. Doesn't usually happen with Sitka stuff but worth a shot.

You probably already know that most online places have discounted their Sitka products 20%.

Comment

Working...
                                X