The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
    Got home from my first elk hunt yesterday, up in unit 711 in CO. I will need to type out my story later, but I'll say right now it was the greatest hunt of my life with me taking a nice 5x5 on the absolute last minute of the last day. Hope y'all have a great hunt coming up.
    Congrats!

Comment

Just got back from several days of hunting, saw over 200 elk, with most being above timberline in the units I was in, which also accounts for me seeing them without getting a shot.
      Tough week, had some bugling early in the morning but would go quiet by 9 a.m.
      Came close to filling my mule deer tag on a 165" class buck but he eluded me this morning once I was within 100 yards.
      Headed back out on friday, I have three more weekends to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
        Got home from my first elk hunt yesterday, up in unit 711 in CO. I will need to type out my story later, but I'll say right now it was the greatest hunt of my life with me taking a nice 5x5 on the absolute last minute of the last day. Hope y'all have a great hunt coming up.
        Sweet!!!!!!!! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
          Just got back from several days of hunting, saw over 200 elk, with most being above timberline in the units I was in, which also accounts for me seeing them without getting a shot.
          Tough week, had some bugling early in the morning but would go quiet by 9 a.m.
          Came close to filling my mule deer tag on a 165" class buck but he eluded me this morning once I was within 100 yards.
          Headed back out on friday, I have three more weekends to hunt.
          Hang in there man! The last week of the season is looking real good! don't wear yourself out before then.

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
            Good luck to all of you!! I just got back from scouting for my elk hunt in 16A in the Gila.....talk about some serious rains!! They have been getting hammered!!! On a good note, the bulls are talkin!!!!

How much does the rain impact the Elk. This is my first elk trip.

Comment

Sorry Double post.

The rain in the Gila is not great if you plan on sitting water. Which is probably your best bet for evening hunts. Run and gun calling is not near as good in the evenings as the mornings.
              Last edited by ELKAHOLIC; 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
                In my experience they will be very active right after it quits raining so you need to be out hunting . I shot a bull 2 years ago while it was drizzling...right after a heavy rain.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                  Sorry Double post.

The rain in the Gila is not great if you plan on sitting water. Which is probably your best bet for evening hunts. Run and gun calling is not near as good in the evenings as the mornings.
                  Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  In my experience they will be very active right after it quits raining so you need to be out hunting . I shot a bull 2 years ago while it was drizzling...right after a heavy rain.
                  Thanks guys...I am excited and can't wait to get there...I am really looking forward to hearing them bugling up close...We will be doing a semi live hunt as this is the first elk hunt for the both of us.

Comment

We are pulling out of south Texas on Thursday for my hunt of a lifetime in Colorado. I've got two weeks at the Cielo Vista. I've done all I can on my end to get ready, hopefully the elk will cooperate.

Comment

ALOT!! If it were dry, I would say sit on water.....but with all this rain, everything will be impacted. Movement, water, feeding, even the rut. Not to say you cant throw on some Gore-Tex and get out the and find them...it just keeps them layin a little lower.....but it does make for some quiet walking to sneek up on them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                        This is true....Saturday after an afternoon rain, I heard a bull rakin a tree, and I walked right up to him!! The rain also cools things down, which is always nice!!!

Comment

Split arrow just got to his unit today and has already been sending me pics of BIG bulls from his spotting scope this evening -

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                            Split arrow just got to his unit today and has already been sending me pics of BIG bulls from his spotting scope this evening -
                            I wanna see!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                              where is he hunting? Post the pics

Comment

Plan on doing a lot of walking and listen to your guide he will put you on a bull.

Comment

Working...
                                X