No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

44lbs w/ 2-litters of water and 6-days food. Solo at 10-12,000' is going to hurt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377457122.340815.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	24236067

9 more days in the office, but who is counting.

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
      44lbs w/ 2-litters of water and 6-days food. Solo at 10-12,000' is going to hurt.

[ATTACH]537109[/ATTACH]

Does the 44# count your bow? I am 53 # with 3L of water and 12 days. Longbow gets carries in hand. Never know when something needs shooting! Leave Tuesday, stop and pick up glen, then off to Colorado!

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by G Posik View Post
        Does the 44# count your bow? I am 53 # with 3L of water and 12 days. Longbow gets carries in hand. Never know when something needs shooting! Leave Tuesday, stop and pick up glen, then off to Colorado!

Glenn
        Glen and Glenn? That's confusing.

Good Luck!

TradAg02 - looks like you have the same trekking poles as me. got mine at Academy for a good price compared to some I've seen.

What are you guys using for a tent on your hunts?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
          Glen and Glenn? That's confusing.

Good Luck!

TradAg02 - looks like you have the same trekking poles as me. got mine at Academy for a good price compared to some I've seen.

What are you guys using for a tent on your hunts?
          It's not that bad till someone calls for us by first name.

For tent I use the Brooks Range Forey

Glenn

Comment

We are headed out Thursday for SW Colorado. Mule deer and elk tags on board. Our neighboring ranch here in New Braunfels has a couple bull elk and I heard one of them bugging for the first time today. It got me fired up!

Comment

[ATTACH]537109[/ATTACH]

Sweet!! You have horses? or you just taking a fork?

Comment

Originally posted by G Posik View Post
                It's not that bad till someone calls for us by first name.

For tent I use the Brooks Range Forey

Glenn
                Nice tent. At 3lbs 2oz it's considerably lighter than my Marmot Limelight3.

Comment

Question for you Elk hunting veterans. We'll be on our first elk hunt with a guy from our lease that's been going to the same area almost 30 years in SW Colorado. He hunts strictly over water holes & wallows. The area has been getting a good amount of rain the last month and is really getting pounded today. It's been super dry up there with a moderate amount of water holes. Now, I'm sure there are thousands of water holes with the recent rains. Would you guys still hunt over water holes or try and stalk for elk? I am fully prepared to sit all day if it means a better opportunity at getting an elk.

What say you guys?

Comment

I love hunting water holes -wallows. Continue to hunt well known holes regardless of rain. . Stick with it. Take a pee bottle. Stay in tree sunup to sundown. Most guys can't do that. It's just a matter of time if you have the time. I have a Millinnium stands -- so comfortable. It might take 2 days or 2 weeks but just hang with it- patience will pay off.

Comment

Got it all weighed in today. 46lbs 4 ozs with water and bow, but without food. May be able to trim that at the trailhead if my buddy and I can cut down on what we are doubling up on. Would like to ditch the scope and tripod, but that country just needs it to save some serious boot leather. I won't know how many days I'll be out there until I get a feel behind the spotting scope & binos, so food is always variable. I'm I light eater, so usually just over a pound a day gets me by.

I'm using the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 for a tent. That thing is awesome compared to what I use to stay in.

Here it is in Utah last year, worked perfectly when I was out there on my own.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Chris Martin; 08-25-2013, 08:58 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]537109[/ATTACH]

My ATV can handle 44lbs and 1/2 an elk easily.
                        Have to go now, packing the truck and trailer. I leave in the morning for a month in New Mexico. Grouse, Elk, and Mule Deer, maybe a rabbit or 2 or whatever it takes to make a stew..

Comment

We leave out Thursday after work. I don't see me getting a lot fine this week.

49 lbs with bow, 3 liters water, 6 days food.

[ATTACH]536809[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]536812[/ATTACH]
                          16 days till I leave to Oregon, We have the same rain gear, We will be packing in 12 miles but using horses so taking a little more than ya'll are. Also way nicer when packing out elk.

Comment

The deadly v
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                              The deadly v
                              Looks to me like you missed the "V".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk V-1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	24236297

Comment

Looks to me like you missed the "V".

[ATTACH]537548[/ATTACH]
                                Blame me, I think I made that for him last year!

Comment

Working...
                                X