The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
    Wishing y'all a great ELK hunt this fall. I will be headed out end of August for two weeks in the mts. Was able to draw a Bear, Mule Deer and an OTC Elk Tag this year. Looking forward to the mountains and getting a chance at a nice mule deer, bear and of course ELK tenderloins. Hoping to take that big black bear and huge muley I been seeing in the area last couple of years. Been working out with a 70 lb meat pack. 5 miles a day and stairs. Hope everyones in shape. Tough going at 107 degrees. But life is tough! :-) Y'all be careful out there.
    dang.......I guess sitting in front of this computer(107 is way to hot to go outside) and lifting my coffee mug plumb full 5 times a day seems really weak now.....

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Comment

Wishing y'all a great ELK hunt this fall. I will be headed out end of August for two weeks in the mts. Was able to draw a Bear, Mule Deer and an OTC Elk Tag this year. Looking forward to the mountains and getting a chance at a nice mule deer, bear and of course ELK tenderloins. Hoping to take that big black bear and huge muley I been seeing in the area last couple of years. Been working out with a 70 lb meat pack. 5 miles a day and stairs. Hope everyones in shape. Tough going at 107 degrees. But life is tough! :-) Y'all be careful out there.
      Mule deer tag and elk tag in New Mexico.
      Riding bike and working bungies. Need to have 4 wheeler looked at and need a new zipper in wall tent.
      I will be hard to enjoy elk season more than us, 3 and a half weeks in the rockies.

Comment

Some of the fire restrictions are starting to be lifted in a few of the areas of NM.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
          Mule deer tag and elk tag in New Mexico.
          Riding bike and working bungies. Need to have 4 wheeler looked at and need a new zipper in wall tent.
          I will be hard to enjoy elk season more than us, 3 and a half weeks in the rockies.

Comment

Looks like I get to join you in NM GMU 4 this year it's private land but that's fine with me.

Comment

What do you guys pack for food for day packs?

Comment

Originally posted by csmetreyeon View Post
                What do you guys pack for food for day packs?
                Peanut butter sandwiches, chips, little debbie snacks, apples, cliff bars. I like filling things with high calorie count because you'll likely be burning a bunch of energy. It depends on how much space you have in your pack. Be sure and drink lots of water. Hydration bladders are an easy/convenient way to carry a lot of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Split Arrow View Post
                  Peanut butter sandwiches, chips, little debbie snacks, apples, cliff bars. I like filling things with high calorie count because you'll likely be burning a bunch of energy. It depends on how much space you have in your pack. Be sure and drink lots of water. Hydration bladders are an easy/convenient way to carry a lot of water.
                  Ha!! you mean you burn calories hunting ELK????

Reminds me of a story about 20 years ago. I took a buddy ELK hunting and he actually ate a whole case of PayDays in one day!!!! Im serious!!! He had no idea what he was in for. He never went ELK hunting again.
                  Last edited by elkbowhunter; 07-12-2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Is anyone hunting NM unit 15 third season, Sept. 19-24?

Comment

I pack a apple big colossal bar, jerky ,fruit ,a Baby Ruth and water.

Comment

May day pack always has lots of granola bars, jerky/slim jims, peanut butter crackers, string cheese, several bottles of water and a couple cans of vienna sausages. I love elk hunting because you can eat like a pig and still lose weight!

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                          May day pack always has lots of granola bars, jerky/slim jims, peanut butter crackers, string cheese, several bottles of water and a couple cans of vienna sausages. I love elk hunting because you can eat like a pig and still lose weight!
                          aint it the truth....ya never hear of...."yeah i went ELK hunting for 2 weeks and gained 10 lbs...good point Montec. They should do a BIG LOSERS and have them all go ELK hunting!

Comment

aint it the truth....ya never hear of...."yeah i went ELK hunting for 2 weeks and gained 10 lbs...good point Montec. They should do a BIG LOSERS and have them all go ELK hunting!
                            Ha your forgetting one thing peta would have a Field day with that!
                            Thanks for the reply guys I will start planning on what will be in my pack.

Comment

Deposits sent off today official location of the ranch is in Tierra Amarilla, NM anyone ever hunted this area?

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                                Not much weight lost in my camp.
                                When we fill a 150qt igloo with ice we make room for a peach cobbler, 1/2 gal vanilla ice cream, and 10# dry ice. Really good on a belly full of gumbo and rice.

Comment

Working...
                                X