No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody getting anything on the game cameras yet?

Comment

The dog days of summer are upon us and its tough to remember Elk season will be here in less than 3 months.

I have been really hitting the remote scouting hard and talking to everyone I can about my New Mexico hunt. I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

Good luck in your preparations. If anyone out there is considering or is going but still does not know where in CO OTC. I have done quite a bit of data analysis and would be happy to share my thoughts.

Here are some pics from previous years that keep me motivated.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
        Anybody getting anything on the game cameras yet?
        I have not got out to get any set up yet this year. I've been swamped at work. My wife drew 34 muzzle loader so at some point I will be up there. Might even guide a 2nd archery hunt up there just to have a good feel for where to be.

Comment

Thanks for the thread. I'm headed for NV for my first Elk this Oct. and will require all the help I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by BrownMamba View Post
            Thanks for the thread. I'm headed for NV for my first Elk this Oct. and will require all the help I can get.
            What tag did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
              What tag did you get?
              Wow ! no kidding?

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                Wow ! no kidding?
                I know right!!! I know quite a few residents here that have been in the game for10+ years and have yet to draw.

I am also wondering if maybe we got the same area, so we can help eachother out.

Comment

I am sure as heck stoked for my New Mexico hunt in early October. That being said I'm looking for a new tent this season. Not a pack tent but something for 3 to 4 people to use for base camp but I don't want to pony up the cash for a wall tent. Any suggestions?

Comment

I really need to ratchet up the exercising.

[IMG][/IMG]
                    Last edited by ShockValue; 06-12-2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                      I am sure as heck stoked for my New Mexico hunt in early October. That being said I'm looking for a new tent this season. Not a pack tent but something for 3 to 4 people to use for base camp but I don't want to pony up the cash for a wall tent. Any suggestions?
                      I successfully used a Browning Black Canyon Family tent last year. I upgraded to an Alaknak this year....they are pricey though.

Pretty much any Coleman type family tent will give you the room you want. 2 would give you more than adequate sleep space and gear storage space.

2 dings on this type of bascamping are:
                      1-Nylon will condense your body heat and breath inside the tent
                      2-You can't use a wood stove to heat the tent and propane contributes to condensation

There are places in CO that rent wall tents but I have never seen any in New Mexico or Texas. You may could do a more thorough search.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
                        I have not got out to get any set up yet this year. I've been swamped at work. My wife drew 34 muzzle loader so at some point I will be up there. Might even guide a 2nd archery hunt up there just to have a good feel for where to be.
                        I was just looking for some comparison growth rates. I got an interesting bull on a cam few weeks back.

Comment

I got lucky and drew a tag in NM. This will be my first time elk hunting but have a friend that lives there that will be my "guide" and scouter. I am off to Africa in July but think I am more excited about the elk hunt, this has been a long time dream off mine.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                            I successfully used a Browning Black Canyon Family tent last year. I upgraded to an Alaknak this year....they are pricey though.

Pretty much any Coleman type family tent will give you the room you want. 2 would give you more than adequate sleep space and gear storage space.

2 dings on this type of bascamping are:
                            1-Nylon will condense your body heat and breath inside the tent
                            2-You can't use a wood stove to heat the tent and propane contributes to condensation

There are places in CO that rent wall tents but I have never seen any in New Mexico or Texas. You may could do a more thorough search.
                            Thanks for the info. I'll research the tents you mentioned. The places I hunt get almost daily monsoonal rain in September/early October with 40's and 50's for highs and 20's for lows at 10,000 feet. Something waterproof is a must.

Comment

Got out this weekend and slept in my new shelter a couple nights.
                              A Tarptent Notch one person tent. The total weight is 26 oz, or the fly comes in at 16 oz.
                              Set it up at 11,580 feet elevation Friday night with the winds gusting up to 40-50 mph. I had some trees breaking up the wind in the area and some brush close by, but it the tent was still taking plenty of abuse and held up just fine without a problem. With the vents it has I had very little condensation even when pitched next to a mountain lake the next night with a very humid night.
                              As you can see when using the half wall inside nest it limits the available space but also kept the wind from getting to me. I slept very well in this and with two vestibules, and entry from either side, this is a very versatile shelter when taking a minimalist view.
                              I also bought the Borah Bivy to protect my sleeping bag when using the tent as a floorless shelter. I slept out the third night without the tent and just using the bag/bivy combo without problem. I was at approx 9,300 feet and had a good clear night under the stars. The Borah Bivy weighs in at 6 or 7 ounces depending on the size you order.

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                                Thanks for the info. I'll research the tents you mentioned. The places I hunt get almost daily monsoonal rain in September/early October with 40's and 50's for highs and 20's for lows at 10,000 feet. Something waterproof is a must.
                                Well that situation screams for an Outfitter(Alaknak or Big Horn) or Wall Tent with a wood stove. You should be able to get by with a family tent with a rain fly but could run into probelms if you get heavy snow or high winds.

Here are some options

Comment

Working...
                                X