The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
    Those odds for residents sure look better too. Are you chasing 61?
    That's the plan right now, with point creep it may change for a guaranteed tag when I have more vacation time.

Comment

After last season I decided I was going to look for a better large tent to use for a basecamp and for scouting trips with my family when I head up into the mountains. Last year we set up a basecamp tent and stayed in it scouting 3 days through opening morning but we had such a strong wind for two days that it kept buckling the poles on the tent and almost impossible to sleep. I found this used wall tent for about 1/3 of the price of new one and it is in excelent shape, and it will give me a lot more room with all the kids when we scout in the summer. Now I just got to get drawn somewhere.
      Attached Files

Comment

well the draw is finished where is everyone hunting? 16a for me

Comment

Arizona 22 south. Not sure about Co. yet.

Good luck Pernell! We tried to draw that tag.

Comment

N.m. 49

Comment

Nm 36

Comment

New Mexico 51-1st season

Comment

We did not draw so I am sitting it out for the first time in 4 years. Its killing me...

Good luck to everyone who is going!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
                    After last season I decided I was going to look for a better large tent to use for a basecamp and for scouting trips with my family when I head up into the mountains. Last year we set up a basecamp tent and stayed in it scouting 3 days through opening morning but we had such a strong wind for two days that it kept buckling the poles on the tent and almost impossible to sleep. I found this used wall tent for about 1/3 of the price of new one and it is in excelent shape, and it will give me a lot more room with all the kids when we scout in the summer. Now I just got to get drawn somewhere.
                    Good deal Kolpin...can't go wrong with a wall tent. I thought seriously about a Wall tent for when I base camped but decided not to pull the trigger.

I got a smoking good deal in the off season, from a very nice chap in Amarillo, on a complete 12x12 Alaknak setup. Tent, Stove, floor liner, vestibule and roof protector. Only used once. I have only set it up in the yard but I will be using it in New Mexico in Sept.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                      Good deal Kolpin...can't go wrong with a wall tent. I thought seriously about a Wall tent for when I base camped but decided not to pull the trigger.

I got a smoking good deal in the off season, from a very nice chap in Amarillo, on a complete 12x12 Alaknak setup. Tent, Stove, floor liner, vestibule and roof protector. Only used once. I have only set it up in the yard but I will be using it in New Mexico in Sept.
                      That sounds like a room at the Hilton,

Comment

Pictures from where I woke up this morning, spent three days in the mountains and enjoyed every minute of it. Had snow, hail, and rain.

Comment

Where were you A3d?

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
                            Where were you A3d?
                            About an hour west of Colorado Springs, on my way to go fishing.
                            Was about 200 yards from my fifth wheel at the time.

Comment

I drew 16B Gila! I didnt think I would draw but it happened on the first time. Any advice for a beginner in elk hunting? I been hunting the west for about 7 years and have hunted that unit 6 years ago for muzzleloader mule deer. Few deer but saw a lot of elk. I forgot to mention I hired a guide due to my noviceness.

Comment

Originally posted by dashj7 View Post
                                I drew 16B Gila! I didnt think I would draw but it happened on the first time. Any advice for a beginner in elk hunting? I been hunting the west for about 7 years and have hunted that unit 6 years ago for muzzleloader mule deer. Few deer but saw a lot of elk. I forgot to mention I hired a guide due to my noviceness.
                                Good Pull Dash....read this thread from the beginning and you'll glean a bunch of info. Get in shape, get good boots and practice, practice, practice.

Having a guide will advance your Elk knowledge by several years compared to heading out on your own. If you are gonna start Elk hunting regularly get as much knowledge out of your guide as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X